Timoney MK VI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Timoney MK VI

According to the Irish army vehicles book the Timoney's flaws had all been resolved and it was held in high regard until the BA selected the cheaper less advanced Saxon over the Timoney based Valkyrie.
    What I want to know is there any point in further developments of the Timoney MK VI for the DF perhaps in the CAV role (it was tested with the 90mm Cockerill) or as an ATGM carrier?

The thought struck me that it might even have use in the same role as a HMMWV/ BRDM [it sharess many parts with the former] , I realise that as a four wheeled vehicle it may have trouble keeping up with the PIII and its protection is negligible in comparison to the Pirhana many armies make use of this class of vehicle in a cavalry or light armoured utility role.

Also this time next whatever pricks are in the Dail will be begging to create jobs, heres to reopening the production line in meath.

WAAAHEYYY!!!! (your supposed to say that sort of thing when you're being all nationalistic aren't you?)
    "It is a general popular error to imagine that loudest complainers for the public to be the most anxious for it's welfare" Edmund Burke

I thought we were united in our infatuation with LOSAT. I read where an installation on the LAVIII with eight missiles is being studied. Drool.

Comment

I still love LOSAT but given the current financial situation I think we might be heading back to some Keynesian policies Irish Style*, I'd just like to hear some feedback on the Viability of the Timoney in the DF as a tank hunter, an APC and as a recce and light roop utility vehicle?

I also got over my excitemnt at actually being in an army with Hummers long enough to remeber that they can drive over any terrain as ling as its not narrow
      "It is a general popular error to imagine that loudest complainers for the public to be the most anxious for it's welfare" Edmund Burke

Comment

Use of the Timoney Mk VI

I think you make a very valid point about using the MkVI instead of letting it rot in the Curragh!

I guess with all the cutbacks that the purchase of the Light Tactical Vehicles will slip somewhat, maybe to 3rd Qtr. 2003 or 2004 and with delivery times as they are...

The MkVI is already painted in a DPM scheme, it is mine protected, according to said book, and has armour capable of withstanding 5.56/7.62mm AP! Plus Timoney vehicles are renowned for their manoeuvrability, both off road and on road so they probably could keep up with the PIII better than most 4x4s!

If the Cav. had the vehicles (all 5 of them) refurbished and modified to take a crew of 3 plus 4 dismountable troops, install Timoney's new impact resistant seats, it may make a very good interim vehicle (maybe Timoney has an extra 1 or 2 that were never sold?). You could even add the 2 man 60mm HB turret from the retired Panhards if they wanted to!

However, I suppose the army would be nervous to do this as the DoD would probably force them to use them for another 20 years before buying the LTVs!

It should also be mentioned that Timoney have designed, built and offer for sale a range of 4x4s, the MP44 (on which the ADI Bushmaster is based), an Armoured Reconnaissance Vehicle and several APCs (including an updated Mk VI and a 4x4 version of the excellent 6x6 CM31), one would hope that one or more of these vehicles are being considered for the LTV.

IAS

Comment

Yes, but is it worth reopening production, I mean if the Timoney is comparable in performance to the HMMWV might it then be a viable platform for low level SPADS (like Avenger) ATGM carrier, battlefield reconaissance, mortar carrier etc, in support of the PIII, and independently in non mechanised units (i.e. the other eight battalions + RDF)

Comment

While the Modernised type that the Timoney became is a massive improvement over the MkVI,the design is typical of 70s and 80s armoured vehicles. The timoney had numerous problems compared to modern afvs..
            Its engine,Crew access and crew comfort are but some,the fact that its hull design makes it a HEAT trap is another.
            The Vehicle it became,The Vickers Valkyr,was of limited success..being sold in some numbers to the Kuwait Border patrol units,who done so well repelling the Iraqi hoardes during the Invasion of 1989. The iraqis liked them too,so much so that they took a few of them to make good their escape later in the conflict:D

Here is a prototype 3 axle version fitted with a 105mm

http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/lsm/dh...ges4/10991.jpg
            Last edited by Goldie fish; 13 January 2003, 19:50.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Thanks for the info...Humvees it is then

Comment

Working...
              X