X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cadetships...

Ladies & gentlemen, boys & girls, children of all ages,

Help me out here.

As a regular recruit you're in for a fixed period of 5 years followed by 7 in the reserves.

If you go in as a cadet, does the 21 month training form part of your 5 years permanent service?! Or is it extra?!

Also, what does the 7 years in the reserves actually entail? Ongoing training? Do you have to stay in the country?!

Hoping ye can help,

Itchy

Cadetships used to require a 10 year committment that did not include the cadetship itself. Has this changed??

As far as leaving the country is concerned. Nobody in Ireland cares what you do, but I had to get a full discharge from the reserves before being allowed to emigrate to the USA. They would not issue a visa to a member of a any army!!

Comment

In relation to cadetships, im at college studying for my cert in civil engineering. I intend to continue on to degree level and by that stage i will be either 24 or 25 depending on if i take a year out. What is the higher age of enlistment for a cadetship? If i am over the age limit would it still be possible for me to enter the pdf? Finally what would the chances be of getting in? Any help at all lads.....and lassies!

Comment

As an engineer you can get a direct entry commission similar to the ones given to Doctors. You don't have to do a cadetship, just a few weeks very basic training and then you are made a Captain with tech pay. it's a good deal if you are qualified and interested in not actually working as an engineer and not getting paid as much as one either!!

Comment

Working...
        X