Irish Defence Forces roll of honour

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Irish Defence Forces roll of honour

I was wondering if anyone is aware of the existence of a roll of honour for the members of the National Army/Irish Army who died in service during the Irish Civil War? Or whether there are any memorials anywhere to men who died fighting for the Free State anywhere in Ireland.

Many thanks in advance.

There's a big memorial near Clonaslee in Laois to a man "murdered by Free Staters", but it's that kind of place.

Comment

Mellows Bks in Renmore is named after a soldier of the Civil War...... who fought for the anti-treaty side.

Comment

I think there is two rolls of honours next to Michael Collins's grave in Glasnevin Cemetery
        one for those who died in the army and one for those who died while on service with the UN.
        It was the year of fire...the year of destruction...the year we took back what was ours.
        It was the year of rebirth...the year of great sadness...the year of pain...and the year of joy.
        It was a new age...It was the end of history.
        It was the year everything changed.

Comment

Originally posted by bsloe View Post
          I was wondering if anyone is aware of the existence of a roll of honour for the members of the National Army/Irish Army who died in service during the Irish Civil War? Or whether there are any memorials anywhere to men who died fighting for the Free State anywhere in Ireland.

Many thanks in advance.
          It seems to have been and still is policy to ignore Free State casualties. I recently posted a picture of a memorial near Rosegreen, Co. Tipperary which commemorates two dead Irregulars and ignores a Free State Soldier who died in the same action.

sigpic
          Say NO to violence against Women

Originally posted by hedgehog
          My favourite moment was when the
          Originally posted by hedgehog
          red headed old dear got a smack on her ginger head

Comment

Working...
          X