old ira history (war of independance)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• old ira history (war of independance)

Hello folks, im a long time visitor to imo but only posted a few times, im ex f.c.a. (fn fal days) and have family members serving in the pdf for over 13 years, my grand father was a member of the i.r.a. during the war of indepence and before, im not sure which side he took during the civil war because he never spoke about it and this brings me to my question, im interested in finding out the history of the war of independance in the kilkenny area, especially the castlecomer area, i know he took part in an ambush of british troops in castlecomer in 1920 but it went wrong and he lost 3 comrades in the firefight, if anyone could point me in the right direction id be very gratefull, thanks in advance.

Hi there
    The local library, for a start.There's also, no doubt, local historians who often bring out small-circulation local histories. If there's a heritage society or a local writer's group, you can pick up a lead there. Also, any county Museum worth it's salt will point you in the right direction.You might have to go to Kilkenny or Carlow's libraries to get a larger reference base to work from. Most decent bookshops have a large range of histories about the time in question, such as the new bookshop in Naas.
    regards
    GttC

Comment

Thanks for the reply GTC, im sorry i should have said in my first post but i dont live in Eire anymore so i cant get to the local library, i was hoping someone could point me twords a website with the relevant info, and as far as not knowing which side my Grandfather took during the civil war, i do remember a PDF firing party at his burial a few years ago so that would suggest he took the free state side. thanks again gtc.

Comment

Try this website

they have a Discussion Board so maybe someone their might know about it.

It was the year of fire...the year of destruction...the year we took back what was ours.
        It was the year of rebirth...the year of great sadness...the year of pain...and the year of joy.
        It was a new age...It was the end of history.
        It was the year everything changed.

Comment

The shop known as 'The Bookshop' also known as 'Laois Educational Supplies' in Portlaoise does a strong line in local history books for mid-Leinster and in military history books generally. It's an old style bookshop with a very knowledgable proprietor.

Comment

Originally posted by pateire View Post
            Thanks for the reply GTC, im sorry i should have said in my first post but i dont live in Eire anymore so i cant get to the local library, i was hoping someone could point me twords a website with the relevant info, and as far as not knowing which side my Grandfather took during the civil war, i do remember a PDF firing party at his burial a few years ago so that would suggest he took the free state side. thanks again gtc.
            PDF firing party at the grave is no indication of what side (if any) he took in Civil War - all Old IRA members entitled to a firing party without distinction.

Comment

Working...
            X