T.E.S.S.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• T.E.S.S.

Here I personally have been in the d.f for over a year and I have never seen this system let alone use it for tactics like my cousin in kilkenny claims to have done. So I suppose my question is how widespread is the use of this system for the rdf?

Apparently the issue isn't so much availability of the kit as availablility of people who are willing to sign for it and able to operate it, if your unit has a Cadre member trained to operate the system or you know someone who'd offer assistance in this regard (from say a PDF sister unit) then the gear is available as it spends much of the year sitting in stores in the Curragh.
    (the PDF don't get to do as much tactical training as they should do)
    "It is a general popular error to imagine that loudest complainers for the public to be the most anxious for it's welfare" Edmund Burke

Comment

The times I have heard of it being used by the RDF is when the RDF have been been training with the PDF as enemy etc.

Comment

Yeah the Problem with it is not getting it but getting someone qualified to operate it and calibrate the System before use, otherwise it wont work properly and you might as well go to Quasar!!

Used it last year with the 5bn Great week Down in Kilbride! Eh TIM??

Friends Come and Go, but Enemies accumulate!!

Comment

Aparently Bailer, our camp this year is full of Tes secion in attacks.

Comment

Of Course it is...

But I'll be Square bashing recruits doing Steyr lessoins etc etc. Suppose I could get a go as enemy!!

Comment

It's good enough kit very light and comfortable-ish. On an exercise last year we had the new tess gear whilst the pdf had the old type. All was grand until they put in an attack on us and low and behold most of them had their batteries removed! So all we could do was just fire away knowing we weren't registering any hits.

Comment

I thought the kit could not have their batteries removed?
                "The dolphins were monkeys that didn't like the land, walked back to the water, went back from the sand."

Comment

Thats true of the old wet suit looking equipment, the battery is on the front, which can be removed by opening the flap on it. The new stuff is tamper proof as we found out

Comment

It doesn't work through reeds or bushes.

False sense of security methinks

Comment

Sure everybody knows leaves are bullet proof:D

Comment

It doesn't work through Smoke Either or Heavy rain, It can be tempremental, Last year The First day we used it we got slaughtered while none of the PDF got killed at all, the Next Day we wiped out a whole Plt.!!

Ah I'll never get tired of Saying that!!

We wiped out a whole Plt. :D

Last edited by Bailer; 10 June 2003, 18:26.

Comment

Originally posted by Bailer

Used it last year with the 5bn Great week Down in Kilbride! Eh TIM??

i can remember only 5 things from that week...

1, 2 pte's actions in the drying room (take an educated guess)
                          2, getting stung for guard on the first day.
                          3, doing the lead scout when we got to use the T.E.S.S. for ourselves (and taking a position single handed .....well with some good fire support *ahem (cough) Bailer)
                          4, being the not so fortunate group who went up against a fighting patrol....and lost! (being pinned down by 3 G.P.M.Gs was fun though)
                          5, Watching a P.D.F. 3* crack his skull open on the 84mm when he fell (LoL :D )
                          Over the centuries, mankind has tried many ways of combating the forces of evil...prayer, fasting, good works and so on. Up until Doom, no one seemed to have thought about the double-barrel shotgun. Eat leaden death, demon...

http://www.iamawesome.com/

Comment

Once.. just once in my military career, I want to play with MILES (US Army laser system) that works.

Just back from MOUT (FIBUA) training. I had the GPMG, and was blazing away quite merrily with hundereds of 7.62mm blanks. Alas, they didn't have any transmitters for the MGs.

Opfor did though. I died... :-)

(In fairness, those of use with M-16s had the lasers, but didn't have time to calibrate them. Doesn't take long, only a half-hour for the whole squad.)

We had a look at simunitions though. Seems very useful. Think 9mm rounds firing paint pellets. (At 3 times the speed of a paintball.. By all accounts, they hurt like the dickens, but will go through leaves and such)

NTM
                            Driver, tracks, troops.... Drive and adjust!!

Comment

I thought that was an NCO and a Pte TIM?? at least the Incident I heard about / kinda saw (and NO it wasn't me and u know who!) Eh Yeah Best Bit was when they (tried to ) did a plt in attack above kippure bridge and The whole Plt was Wiped out except the Sgt and the LT who was running around with a MAG and the whole forest was quiet.

A Shot Rang out the Lt's buzzer went and all you could hear through the Forest was 1 very disgruntled Officer shouting Profanitites!!

I got stung with guard on the Last night so what are you complaining about!

Comment

Working...
                              X