PDA

View Full Version : The GASU Defender.

yellowjacket
5th June 2003, 18:29
Was this aircraft a succesful purchase?

Initially stories abounded about it's rubbish build quality and inadequate single-engine performance. Several informed sources indicated the aircraft was unsafe to operate.

Have these issues been dealt with?

Is the aircraft a success operationally? The main role indicated for this was covert aerial surveillance. bearing in mind the often low cloud ceiling in Irish skies, has this been a success?

http://www.garda.ie/angarda/gasu/defender1.jpg

The Thing
5th June 2003, 19:20
Seem to work quite well for them especially along the border where they are used for surveillance of illegal activities and inland waterway search's.
I think the PSNI have two but I cannot confirm this!

conco
5th June 2003, 19:45
Originally posted by The Thing
Seem to work quite well for them especially along the border where they are used for surveillance of illegal activities and inland waterway search's.
I think the PSNI have two but I cannot confirm this!

The PSNIASU
It's an Islander, not a defender and they only have one.
Delivered in 1992.

Gunner Al
5th June 2003, 19:55
Overall GASU statistics from 1st September 1997 to October 2000

No. of Flights.......................................5,49 6

Hours flown on those flights..................5,233:45

Of which...
Day Hours...........................................3, 872:35
Night Hours..........................................136 1:10

Of which....
Hours on scene....................................3810:41
Hours in transit.....................................1,423: 04

Arrests Made........................................679
Missing Persons Located........................21
Vehicles Recovered...............................262

These are the overall GASU stats. No way of knowing how many of these are Defender alone.

Silver
5th June 2003, 19:58
The Defender was mentioned as a possible successor to the Cessnas.
Would that be a good move ?

By the way, Gunner Al - where did you get those stats ?

Silver.

Gunner Al
5th June 2003, 20:08
I got them from the Garda website:

http://www.garda.ie/angarda/gasu/stats.html

Goldie fish
5th June 2003, 21:00
The dept of justice are quite pleased with the aircraft. It is not as high profile as the Helis,but it has been instrumental in the covert surveillance of subersives,leading to many successful outcomes. The Gardai would rather not publicise its activities for security reasons though.
Some penpusher tried to ground it recently stating that if an engine was to give up the other would be unable to provide sufficient power for safe operation. This was Rubbished by PBN,and the aircraft returned to service. Other complaints from a similar source were about the door leaking,and being draughty in flight. The manufacturers pointed out that as this door is designed to be opened during flight,having airtight qualities is pointless.
I believe overall there is great satisfaction with the Type, But a single engine replacement for the Cessnas is preferred,such as the Caravan, thoug no decision is expected on this for some time.

DeV
7th December 2009, 10:06
Just found this link - http://www.audgen.gov.ie/documents/annualreports/2000/Chapter5.pdf

Not all together good reading for the procurement of the helicopters!

pym
7th December 2009, 10:22
The problems were widely reported at the time re: heli procurement.

I remember the pics on Franks site of the Garda 135 sitting in the UK while bureaucracy rumbled on here. Pretty embarassing.

Truck Driver
7th December 2009, 19:19
I' ve never seen the airplane in flight - I have seen the helis numerous
times

Then again, I don't live along the border, so that might explain it...

GoneToTheCanner
7th December 2009, 23:50
You don't to be anywhere near the Border to see or rather, hear it.I've seen it over Dublin and heard it on the aircraft radio frequencies many times. As for problems with it, it did have a real issue with it's single-engine performance and it also had a real issue with the function and operation of it's weather radar, which took a long time to fix.
regards
GttC

Truck Driver
8th December 2009, 06:44
You don't to be anywhere near the Border to see or rather, hear it.I've seen it over Dublin and heard it on the aircraft radio frequencies many times

I' ve never seen it !

ackack
8th December 2009, 12:30
I've spotted her down around Limerick, only the once mind.

DeV
8th December 2009, 17:49
The point of the Defender is it is more covert!

sofa
8th December 2009, 19:48
Very easy to pick out in the night sky over Dublin, because of its "sparkly" nav lights on
the wing tips,

DeV
9th December 2009, 08:33
All aircraft have to have nav lights on

GoneToTheCanner
9th December 2009, 08:41
You're right, Dev, but, sometimes, if you know where to look, you can spot the Defender and it's stablemates fighting the good fight,etc,etc.
regards
GttC

sofa
9th December 2009, 22:49
All aircraft have to have nav lights on

Did not mean to sound sarcastic.

The brightness and the sequence of the nav lights make it easy to pick out as the Defender in the night sky

Hornet
10th December 2009, 21:29
I get to see it nearly every day....
http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk308/doncashen/3-12-09008.jpg
Looking at me looking at you :biggrin:http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk308/doncashen/Overhead10-12-09006.jpg