Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The GASU Defender.

Was this aircraft a succesful purchase?

Initially stories abounded about it's rubbish build quality and inadequate single-engine performance. Several informed sources indicated the aircraft was unsafe to operate.

Have these issues been dealt with?

Is the aircraft a success operationally? The main role indicated for this was covert aerial surveillance. bearing in mind the often low cloud ceiling in Irish skies, has this been a success?

Don't the PSNI use defenders for the same role!

Seem to work quite well for them especially along the border where they are used for surveillance of illegal activities and inland waterway search's.
    I think the PSNI have two but I cannot confirm this!

Comment

Re: Don't the PSNI use defenders for the same role!

Originally posted by The Thing
      Seem to work quite well for them especially along the border where they are used for surveillance of illegal activities and inland waterway search's.
      I think the PSNI have two but I cannot confirm this!
      The PSNIASU
      It's an Islander, not a defender and they only have one.
      Delivered in 1992.

Comment

Overall GASU statistics from 1st September 1997 to October 2000

No. of Flights.......................................5,49 6

Hours flown on those flights..................5,233:45

Of which...
        Day Hours...........................................3, 872:35
        Night Hours..........................................136 1:10

Of which....
        Hours on scene....................................3810:41
        Hours in transit.....................................1,423: 04

Arrests Made........................................679
        Missing Persons Located........................21
        Vehicles Recovered...............................262

These are the overall GASU stats. No way of knowing how many of these are Defender alone.

Comment

The Defender was mentioned as a possible successor to the Cessnas.
          Would that be a good move ?

By the way, Gunner Al - where did you get those stats ?

Silver.
          IRISH AIR CORPS - Serving the Nation.

Comment

I got them from the Garda website:

Comment

The dept of justice are quite pleased with the aircraft. It is not as high profile as the Helis,but it has been instrumental in the covert surveillance of subersives,leading to many successful outcomes. The Gardai would rather not publicise its activities for security reasons though.
              Some penpusher tried to ground it recently stating that if an engine was to give up the other would be unable to provide sufficient power for safe operation. This was Rubbished by PBN,and the aircraft returned to service. Other complaints from a similar source were about the door leaking,and being draughty in flight. The manufacturers pointed out that as this door is designed to be opened during flight,having airtight qualities is pointless.
              I believe overall there is great satisfaction with the Type, But a single engine replacement for the Cessnas is preferred,such as the Caravan, thoug no decision is expected on this for some time.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Just found this link - http://www.audgen.gov.ie/documents/a...0/Chapter5.pdf

Not all together good reading for the procurement of the helicopters!

Comment

The problems were widely reported at the time re: heli procurement.

I remember the pics on Franks site of the Garda 135 sitting in the UK while bureaucracy rumbled on here. Pretty embarassing.

Comment

I' ve never seen the airplane in flight - I have seen the helis numerous
                    times

Then again, I don't live along the border, so that might explain it...
                    "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

You don't to be anywhere near the Border to see or rather, hear it.I've seen it over Dublin and heard it on the aircraft radio frequencies many times. As for problems with it, it did have a real issue with it's single-engine performance and it also had a real issue with the function and operation of it's weather radar, which took a long time to fix.
                      regards
                      GttC

Comment

Originally posted by GoneToTheCanner View Post
                        You don't to be anywhere near the Border to see or rather, hear it.I've seen it over Dublin and heard it on the aircraft radio frequencies many times
                        I' ve never seen it !
                        "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

I've spotted her down around Limerick, only the once mind.
                          Blog

WHAT FLIES DIES

Comment

The point of the Defender is it is more covert!

Comment

Very easy to pick out in the night sky over Dublin, because of its "sparkly" nav lights on
                              the wing tips,

Comment

Working...
                              X