PDA

View Full Version : Transfer

laois
16th January 2003, 12:12
Hi Folks

I have moved up to Laois from wicklwo where I was with 10Inf. Can I transfer to artillery 3 in Templemore? What formalities are required?

Thanks for your help

Laois

Bravo20
16th January 2003, 13:02
I did the opposite in 1992 (moving from Artillary to Infantry). The process is quite simple, you turn up on their parade night (preferably in uniform), report to the regiment/battery office, identify yourself and tell them you want to transfer. It would be helpful if you could give them a name of one of your cadre staff (as the actual paperwork transfer is done during work hours by cadre), it would also be helpful to have informed your former unit of your intention.

As regards to what you can do. Well it depends on your rank, fortunately Artillary units have within their establishment appointments which are "infantry based" so you will be able to retain your rank, however to actualy take part in gun crews, OPs, CPs etc you will have to pass the required course (some are internal and some are performed by the Artillary School).

Once it has been established that you are who you say you are, you should be able to attend training nights while your paperwork is being transfered. It took 3 months for my paperwork to work its way to the 20 Bn in 1992 (and I insisted on wearing my old unit flash and being referred to as Gunner until my transfer was published).

Goldie fish
17th January 2003, 03:57
Call up to their parading night sometime in civvies,meet the cadre staff and discuss with them your intention to transfer. They should tell you the situation. Try to meet some of the unit members also of your own rank if possible..just to make your assimilation easier..
Most people I have found are only to happy to welcome an experienced member.
Be sure to mention it to your own cadre staff too. Nothing can delay these things than cadre staff hearing things second hand..Its a simple procedure usually:rolleyes:

posiedon
18th January 2003, 19:23

Goldie fish
18th January 2003, 19:39
To be fair to the powers that be..In our case there are certain unique circumstances.
Most transfers (that I know of) can take a while. I know of one individual who paraded with a unit for almost 2 years somewhere along the way deciding he may as well transfer. By the time the transfer got through he had moved back to his old unit! That was an Infantry-artillery move also.
The main thing is to get a foot in the door,so they have a face to put to the paperwork..

Delta
28th May 2003, 17:37
Looks like Im off to a unit in Dublin in the next few weeks.

Can anyone tell me what gear Im supposed to have issued to me already? Ive a feeling Im missing bits and I reckon I should try have the full set before I go. I presume my new unit wont want to be issuing me stuff in the first year anyway!

Any thoughts?

klick
28th May 2003, 18:07
Current RDFRA newsletter gives the complete list.

It can be downloaded from www.rdfra.ie in Adobe Acrobat format

Goldie fish
28th May 2003, 18:30
The rdfra does not give the complete list,it gives a proposed list of what may be issued after intigration.

klick
28th May 2003, 20:16
I don't think you're right Goldie Fish.

The RDFRA newsletter gives the existing issue on Enlistment and what extra is issued just prior to the first period of Full Time Training. This was effective from March 17 last year.

Bravo20, could you confirm?

trellheim
29th May 2003, 12:59
Until R5 update or replace you are entitled only to what is in R5 Appendix G

http://www.rdfra.ie/DFR_R_5/appendices.htm#APPENDIX%20G.

(edit : if you are an Other Rank )
And before you start. That's what RDFRA have on their site - so it's all you can go on.

Delta
29th May 2003, 13:07
That seems to refer to the old uniform though dosnt it?

trellheim
29th May 2003, 13:22
that's why I said don't start:rolleyes:

Bravo20
30th May 2003, 10:27
The last documented DPM clothing issue list was

2 Shirts (1 initial and 1 before attending 1st annual training)
2 Trousers (1 initial and 1 before attending 1st annual training)
2 T shirts (initial)
1 Smock

As regards the other items (socks, boots etc) see R5 above.

Delta
30th May 2003, 18:24
And how about the norweigan fleece?

Truck Driver
31st May 2003, 07:52
:flagwave:

Delta, yes, the Norwegian fleece IS part of the initial issue... We won't be
getting the fleece jackets until the woolen jumper stock is exhausted, or
at least that's what I heard...

P.S: See your PM's.......

commanche
13th September 2003, 17:44
How exactly do you go about getting a transfer from one unit to another??

T.I.M.
14th September 2003, 11:05
Or you can do it the lazy way.... just ask your CQ!

Commando69
14th September 2003, 22:36
I assume commanche is RDF so i want to know how difficult it would be to transfer from dublin to southern brigade in the PDF cos i start training in the Brugha in a couple of weeks and ideally id want to be stationed in limerick or clonmel

Harry
31st January 2004, 23:39
Iv'e been in the FCA for over 2 years and i'm looking for a change from Infantry. I am interested in th MP's even though everyone in my coy will probably shoot me, i am hoping to do a Law degree next year and maybe at the same time get a transfer to a corps unit. I haven't got the slightest clue of what they do in the RDF MP's and im just guessing that they do just the usual square bashing like eveyone else and then sporadic bursts of activity around annual camp and ARP time. Do pots do the same course as Infantry, Cav etc. ?, and is it harder to go up through the ranks compared to the numerically larger infantry units ?.
I'm guessing if i get to do a Law course the MP's would be the obvious choice in terms of relativity to my skills. Of course i'm looking at the cops after Uni so can anyone give me advice on transfers in general and life in the MP's specifically???

Big Al
1st February 2004, 02:42
You have to apply to your CO, giving a reason for your request (e.g. i am doing law and feel the PA's is more suitable) The PA's dont do the PNCO courses that the inf do, they do their own (provost??) course, which can take about 18 months. Why not go on attachment to see if you like it and that way see what they do. Attachments are handled in the same way as transfers.

And your right, everyone in your coy will shoot you.

Goldie fish
1st February 2004, 03:31
I hear qualified chefs are going to Mc Donalds for work experience also...

DeV
1st February 2004, 16:33
the PAs do a probationer course

spiderman
2nd February 2004, 11:15
Now now Goldie, there are a number of solicitors in the PA's/MP's and doctors in the medics (or is that doctor and the medics?) so it's a reasonable link to make.

MP's do their own 2* 3* and pot NCO training., own standard NCO crse and then go on infantry officers courses.

The 1st in Cork and the 3rd in Limerick are soon to be amalgamated (just FYI)

They squarebash etc, but also do some tactical MP stuff, investigation procedure, supposedly read up on military law and learn how to open and close gates, 50 times a night on camp. oh and park traffic at shoots. think that's it. let me know if anyone else has more info for our infantry brother.

FMolloy
2nd February 2004, 14:34
There was a number of MP's on my Pot NCO's course.

T.I.M.
2nd February 2004, 15:22
MP`s DONT do a pots course as we know it.... they do the provost marshall course and get one of them lovely hats and a bad attitude at the end of it!

:)

Big Al
2nd February 2004, 15:26
thats no way to talk about your former colleagues TIM

:confused: <-TIM (complete with red hat)

Infy
2nd February 2004, 15:43
lol
though your unit may be reluctant to let you go, i transferred from a dublin unit to my home one, it took from september to easter nearly to get me signed over.

T.I.M.
2nd February 2004, 21:09
Please Al... its a lovely HAT not red hat!

Harry
2nd February 2004, 21:45
Ya thanks guys, but ya know now that were being promised FIBUA, PSO and the likes, I'd say ill stay in Infantry for a while yet....Did the RDF PA's get Sig Sauers as well or have the PDF PA's even got them??

Goldie fish
2nd February 2004, 22:15
Try and keep the post relevant to the thread. Equipment for the DF is being discussed elsewhere

mic
3rd February 2004, 02:31
[QUOTE]Originally posted by T.I.M.
MP`s DONT do a pots course as we know it.... they do the provost marshall course and get one of them lovely hats and a bad attitude at the end of it!

You are right T.I.M, P/A's don't do pots course's as you know it, they do an 18 month probationers course covering all on the pots course except tactics (MOI, foot and Arms drill ,provost ops and much more).The tactics end is covered as a recruit and two star and the grand finale of the 18 months is a 48 hour ex .
As someone who's done both the probationers and the pots (the glen '98 fmolloy will remember that one), the 2 weeks on the pots may have been hard work but it was only two weeks .Try doing it every week for 18 months, that takes a bit more commitment .
The lovely hats as you call it is something we work hard to get. The bad attitude is something we save especially for people with the lack of grasp to realise we too have a job to do.

[MOD: Touche! Keep responses civil]

Victor
3rd February 2004, 23:21
Originally posted by spiderman
They squarebash etc, but also do some tactical MP stuff, investigation procedure, supposedly read up on military law and learn how to open and close gates, 50 times a night on camp. oh and park traffic at shoots. You forgot the bit on how to beat, eh, handle prisoners and deal with a company load of drunken RDF types in the middle of the night. ;)

Boots
3rd March 2004, 16:58
Hi All,

Just a few questions for ya.. Im moving to Dublin next week and Id really like to transfer from my own RDF infantry unit "down da country" to the Cavalry unit in Dublin. Its Cathal Brugha yeah?

Im a corporal, so Im just wondering what the story would be with transferring, and courses etc. Id like to get to do some driving, FFRs, Trucks etc, and in all my 5 years in the RDF I still havent got near any APCs.

I only ever got a basic issue of DPMs, so Im wondering do I ask my own unit for all the stuff I should have got.. Nametags, Fleeces, etc or do I wait until Im transferred?

How do I go about getting into the Cav anyway? Is it a case of just going there on a parade night and introducing myself and taking it from there?

Thanks!
Boots
:D

Boots
3rd March 2004, 17:38
Sorry kermit.. I meant AML's.. Armour of any sort.

trellheim
4th March 2004, 11:37
Cav in the Brugha v. good unit.

Trooper
4th March 2004, 14:23
The 11th Cav are a good unit

Docman
4th March 2004, 16:33
Originally posted by Boots
I only ever got a basic issue of DPMs, so Im wondering do I ask my own unit for all the stuff I should have got.. Nametags, Fleeces, etc or do I wait until Im transferred?

If your unit hear you are transferring, you will get NOTHING!!! They will not issue you anything if they think you are moving. However, being a corporal, you should have all of it anyway. I think your Q is holding out on you.

BRENDAN
5th March 2004, 23:26
Good call on the cav idea, another unusual plus is the possibility of DR courses(bikes). Anyone know do ANY other RDF units have bikes?

Joshua
6th March 2004, 00:20
P.A.s

Regards etc

Boots
6th March 2004, 00:43
Cheers for the info Docman..
SO, what do I do to get the bits and pieces I'll need?
I didnt get the stuff because I was away from my unit for 6 months or so due to college.

Now I know Im moving to Dublin, so is it best to do with the gear I have and then ask my new unit for it after a while?

cav
7th March 2004, 21:54
They 'll give you the most important thing , your glengarry, and for God's sake ask them to show you how to crease it properly, or you'll end up lookin' like a scottish biscuit tin. you know:
im roamin' in the gloamin' on the bonny banks of clyde!
either way enjoy your time with one of the best.

Joshua
8th March 2004, 19:12
Originally posted by cav
They 'll give you the most important thing , your glengarry

How is a piece of shaped cloth with a metal badge on it "the most important thing"?
I realise it makes it easy to distinguish members of the cav from real soldiers but come on...the most important thing!

Regards etc

Boots
8th March 2004, 20:19
Maybe I am suited to the cav.. Ive had family in the PDF Cav and they have thought me how sacred the Glengarry is! I'll be sure to treat it with the respect it deserves if/when I get it.

Some nametags and a norweigan would be nice too though. :(

DeV
8th March 2004, 22:49
What area of Dublin you moving too/working in?

Boots
9th March 2004, 01:26
Rathmines, So it couldnt be handier really.

DeV
9th March 2004, 01:30
You have a few options so

But i know alot of people have problems when looking for a transfer as their unit wants to keep them on the books

If it is a case where you are there temporarily (eg college) look to be attached to the unit instead

Docman
9th March 2004, 12:40
Originally posted by Boots
Cheers for the info Docman..
SO, what do I do to get the bits and pieces I'll need?
I didnt get the stuff because I was away from my unit for 6 months or so due to college.

Now I know Im moving to Dublin, so is it best to do with the gear I have and then ask my new unit for it after a while?

Your new unit will not give you anything till your paperwork goes through, and that could take a while. Transfers can get messy. If your old unit decide to hold it up, then it can get very messy. Your new unit will usually use the time to evaluate you and get to know you. If they believe that you will put in the time, then you should have no problem being issued with everything you are supposed to have.

While you are waiting for your transfer to go through, use the time to get to know your new unit. Show them that you are committed to training with them and you will be in a good position when your transfer finally goes through. If you go cav, you may be issued with the remainder of your uniform when you get your glen.

Also note..... This should not be about your uniform. Don't transfer just to get the Norge and other stuff. It should be a bonus, not an end goal.

Boots
9th March 2004, 19:16
Thats absolutely not my reason for transferring. I want to learn something new and make a new start in another unit. I like the idea of using different equipment etc. My question about the gear was just an aside.. nothing to do with my decision to transfer whatsoever. I really dont want anyone to think Im doing it for the gear I didnt get at home.I have plenty enough to keep me going.

cplPONTI
10th November 2004, 18:19
just a quick querry lads regards transfering. I'm currently a Cpl in a med coy and have submitted a transfer to a mp coy. How long (usually) should the transfer take, whats the likelyhood of me maintaining my stripes once i transfer? or will i be put back to 3*

Bravo20
10th November 2004, 18:43
The actual transfer of documents can take a while (the army post system is the true definition of snail mail). Assuming you have allready contacted the MP unit you want to go to there should be no reason why you cannot train with them from now on. Until your paperwork arrives you will be on attachment to them. There is a specific course required to be an MP corporal so you may have to revert until you complete the course, again your target unit should explain this to you. Of course if you have not got agreement from the MP unit you are joining there is no guarantee that your transfer request will be accepted by them.

[PS It took my transfer 3 months, however I transfered units and brigades 12 years ago)

Truck Driver
15th November 2004, 03:03
The actual transfer of documents can take a while (the army post system is the true definition of snail mail). Assuming you have allready contacted the MP unit you want to go to there should be no reason why you cannot train with them from now on. Until your paperwork arrives you will be on attachment to them. There is a specific course required to be an MP corporal so you may have to revert until you complete the course, again your target unit should explain this to you. Of course if you have not got agreement from the MP unit you are joining there is no guarantee that your transfer request will be accepted by them.

[PS It took my transfer 3 months, however I transfered units and brigades 12 years ago)

So you're not a Dub, then, Bravo?

T.I.M.
15th November 2004, 03:28
You "Should" keep your rank but wont be able to wear the red beret untill you finish the provost marshall course (the MP course)

personally id tell them to ram it if they tryed to demote me cause i didnt do the course, BTW it is a brigade pots you did isnt it?

Truck Driver
15th November 2004, 09:21
T.I.M, it is specifically laid down (think in DFR R5) that a reduction in rank may be a
condition of transferring from one corps to another....

T.I.M.
15th November 2004, 21:05
correct, but it mainly applys to transfers from corps to line units, a mp cpl may not have the required training to carry out a line cpl's tasks, theres nothing saying that you HAVE to get demoted in order to do the provist marshall course. just means you havent got the right to wear the red berret.

cplPONTI
15th November 2004, 22:14
yeah recently completed a brigade pots course.Cheers lads for the info,transfer is sorted (as such) keeping rank aswell,starting my provist marshall course in feb

lefty
7th February 2005, 12:25
Im thinking of changing units for a number of reasons that i wont go into. However, a mate of mine is still waiting for his transfer to go through 5 months after he put in a transfer and is now stuck in limbo not training with either unit. How long does it take to transfer, if it does take nearly half a year would now be a good time to go because of the summer break which i wont be here for anyway and would it be ready for kick off in september or will all this amalgamation and crap get in the way

Bravo20
7th February 2005, 15:00
First step. Make contact with the unit you want to transfer to. Get their buy in (it will help speed things up).
Step two. Make your request for transfer in writing to your current unit.
Step three. Follow up on significant delays i.e. if you haven't heard anything within 1 month of your request.

Opportunity step, as part of the re-org all positions will be advertised within each brigade. Apply for a position within the unit you want to transfer. If you are a private there probably won't be any advertisement for positions so when the other advertisements go out put in your request.

Note: If the unit you want to transfer to is interested in having you there is generally no problem with parading with them, and thus keeping up your hours and your interest. The key is not let your application be buried. If you don't get a written response to your request (either yes or no) then consider the redress route.

happenin
7th February 2005, 16:31
Why bother transfering at all. It ****s up all chances of a promotion(If thats what your interested in). You'll always be the guy from the other unit. I'd recomend attaching to another unit and parading with them. Alot less hastle

Bravo20
7th February 2005, 18:43
That can f**k up your chances of promotion in any unit.

Truck Driver
10th February 2005, 12:01
Why bother transfering at all. It ****s up all chances of a promotion(If thats what your interested in). You'll always be the guy from the other unit. I'd recomend attaching to another unit and parading with them. Alot less hastle

That can f**k up your chances of promotion in any unit.

Correct, Bravo 20.

HappeninMyLv, you won't get a promotion in your parent unit because you're not
parading with them. And you won't get one over an existing member of your
attachment unit, because, as you say yourself....

You'll always be the guy from the other unit.

So decision time - commit to one or the other......

JAG
10th February 2005, 12:48
When I changed units, my application for transfer was "lost" twice. Making the books slightly more attractive was, I suspect, the reason.

As for promotion, I was on the POTs Cse 12 months after transferring as a 2*.

sparks
10th February 2005, 13:13
well I transfered units a few years ago, best thing I ever did in the fca

happenin
10th February 2005, 19:47
Correct, Bravo 20.

HappeninMyLv, you won't get a promotion in your parent unit because you're not
parading with them. And you won't get one over an existing member of your
attachment unit, because, as you say yourself....

You'll always be the guy from the other unit.

So decision time - commit to one or the other......

All depends on who you know really. As an attachment you're still a member of your own unit so it's not the responsibility of the other unit to put you on courses. If your already above the rank of private you could only attach to that unit so as to still be able to parade on a wed. night. transferring would only be possible if they had a position available for an officer/NCO in the unit. And by the way, My officers are very understanding of my situatuation. I still parade when i can and i go to all my field days with them, I'll always be in that unit. Also, they promoted me already last yr after spending a yr attached to tpt in cork so my position is still good in my home unit( Provided i dont do anything to piss them off in the near future.)

Docman
10th February 2005, 20:28
Also, they promoted me already last yr after spending a yr attached to tpt in cork so my position is still good in my home unit( Provided i dont do anything to piss them off in the near future.)

Well you have pissed off a unit you are parading with!!!

You won't get on any PSO or "other" courses with that attitude.

happenin
10th February 2005, 21:02
Well you have pissed off a unit you are parading with!!!

You wont get on any PSO or "other" courses with that attitude.
I went out of my way to go train recruits with that"other ****ing unit" Granted i had an ulterior motive. I told you i couldn't come back again untill april. The only one in that unit with a problem about me not comin up anymore is you docman. Next time your stuck for a cpl, Look elsewhere.

Goldie fish
10th February 2005, 22:07
By
going out of my way to go train recruits with that"other ****ing unitdo you mean scrounging a lift from me every week?I thought you were a useless corporal. More interested in chasing skirt than training potential recruits.
Was that your ulterior motive? Did you notice how A7 lectures were deferred until you were present?

We are not stuck for corporals any more. A few old sweats have decided to return.

How Ya Doin?
10th February 2005, 22:10
I went out of my way to go train recruits with that"other ****ing unit" Granted i had an ulterior motive. I told you i couldn't come back again untill april. The only one in that unit with a problem about me not comin up anymore is you docman. Next time your stuck for a cpl, Look elsewhere.

Went out of your way for your other motive sounds like!!!

How Ya Doin?
10th February 2005, 22:12
By do you mean scrounging a lift from me every week?I thought you were a useless corporal. More interested in chasing skirt than training potential recruits.
Was that your ulterior motive? Did you notice how A7 lectures were deferred until you were present?

We are not stuck for corporals any more. A few old sweats have decided to return.
Do you not have any capable corporals at the minute goldie that you have to recruit "old sweats"?

Goldie fish
10th February 2005, 22:22
We were stuck for spare corporals,we had to resort to people like happeninMyLv. Our capable corporals were otherwise engaged in training,and 3 were recently promoted to sergeant.

We didnt recruit old sweats....they just arrived....

How Ya Doin?
10th February 2005, 22:31
We were stuck for spare corporals,we had to resort to people like happeninMyLv. Our capable corporals were otherwise engaged in training,and 3 were recently promoted to sergeant.

We didnt recruit old sweats....they just arrived....

Fair nuf. I dont remember resorting to anybody though. I thought three of them were told they were welcome to parade with us if they pulled there weight. Havent seen them in a while.

yellowjacket
10th February 2005, 23:46
What a novel approach to intra-unit disagreements, sort them out on the internet for the whole world to see.... :D

Charley
4th March 2005, 10:28
I’m tinkering with the idea of putting in a transfer to the CIS in Limerick, can anyone advise on how it would go or what kind of work the CIS get to do day to day.
Currently I’m in a Infantry unit and my civie job is as a Computer programmer/Technical Support and I’d like to use my skill in an military environment as well and I think I could learn alot from CIS.
I had previously done a course on the singar and found it really interesting, in fact I think I might have asked the instructors too may questions as I was asking about modulation methods and encryption………. :tongue:
Can anyone help?

JAG
4th March 2005, 11:06
Irrelevant, out of date info deleted.

SPOOKY
4th March 2005, 18:56
MOD: I did'nt know we required permission...]

You don't, but if your not careful......

HE'LL SUE!
:biggrin:

madmark
7th March 2005, 07:56
i transferd from the medices to the cav it took about 4months but it was the
best thing i ever done.all i can say to any one thinking of changing unit is to
do a bit of recon

Eddie Dillon
7th March 2005, 12:28
MODs, feel free to delete any of the above which is sensitive. Anyone else, feel free to update my years out of date experience of CIS, and contrast Limerick with Dublin.

Ah yes, the good old Limerick. Some great threads about the place.There seems to be an awful lot of people from or wishing to transfer to Limerick I've noticed too. The Ack-Ack is the place to be (provided ye pass our stringent selection procedures of course) What a great bastion of Irish military power Limerick is. Bring back Eamonn Cregan!

Cosantor
7th March 2005, 12:45
I think it could be the fact that people want to stay in Sarfields Bks, not be moved to Ballymullen!! Jasus that was some sound decision, moving the HQ for 3 BN's to Kerry!!
Some of the units involved are closer to the Curragh that they are Tralee!!!

How Ya Doin?
7th March 2005, 13:40
Ah yes, the good old Limerick. Some great threads about the place.!

Dont even start that again or joker will have us closed down before we know it.

happenin
7th March 2005, 13:56
I think it could be the fact that people want to stay in Sarfields Bks, not be moved to Ballymullen!! Jasus that was some sound decision, moving the HQ for 3 BN's to Kerry!!
Some of the units involved are closer to the Curragh that they are Tralee!!!

Ya, seems kinda stupid alright seeming sarsfield is a more central location, Has better resources,A permenant pdf presence giving greater access to experienced instructers.A permenant stores giving greater access to equiptment. And what does ballymullen have.......
A refugee camp.
Great decision!!!!

Docman
7th March 2005, 18:43
The Ack-Ack is the place to be (provided ye pass our stringent selection procedures of course)

Here we go again. More self delusion by the Ack Ack. If memory serves, selection procedures for the ack ack are how fast you can slip off a womans bra with one hand. Hey, if you're into soldiering, the ack ack is the last place to go, but if you want action of a different kind, then maybe.

How Ya Doin?
7th March 2005, 18:46
Here we go again. More self delusion by the Ack Ack. If memory serves, selection procedures for the ack ack are how fast you can slip off a womans bra with one hand. Hey, if you're into soldiering, the ack ack is the last place to go, but if you want action of a different kind, then maybe.

Dont even bother. If anybody wants to know how the next 4 pages of this thread will go just look up Limerick on the search engine.

Prolatarian
10th September 2007, 00:14
I will be joining the reserves soon.Do you think there would be much of a problem in transfering to another unit when I go to collage and back at the summer time.

luchi
10th September 2007, 10:15
Yes

Unit hopping is not encouraged. However if you reach a sufficient level of training in your unit it is possible to go "on attachment" to another unit. This then allows for returning

Llorrac
10th September 2007, 10:45
I will be joining the reserves soon.do you think there would be much of a problem in transfering to another unit when i go to collage and back at the summer time

Its no bother lad, everybody does it. I did it for... hey wait I'm still doing it 7 years later.

luchi
10th September 2007, 11:18
Its no bother lad, everybody does it. I did it for... hey wait I'm still doing it 7 years later.

You transfer all the time?
I don't know about the PDF but the RDF don't make it that easy to transfer.

Unless the unit wants to get rid of you :confused: :confused: :biggrin:

I have transfered twice, both times accross command (it was a few years ago). Both times took nearly 3 mths for the paperwork to go through.

2 other guys I know took almost a year.

Another guy came from sligo on attachment. Paper work took about 3 weeks. But when he decided to transfer it took years to get the paper work.

Llorrac
10th September 2007, 11:32
No not transferring, just parading with another unit because of college/work. Didn't put in any paperwork at all... just showed up

luchi
10th September 2007, 11:35
Diffrerent ball game.

But no paperwork?

sounds dodgy. How did you get marked up?

Llorrac
10th September 2007, 11:38
How did you get marked up?

Just kept the cadre sweet :wink:

Prolatarian
10th September 2007, 22:34
Attachment?

SC Uilechumachtach
10th September 2007, 22:46
Try us we are worse than they say

Prolatarian
10th September 2007, 22:47
Thanks.Sounds Good:smile:

Truck Driver
11th September 2007, 01:24
Just kept the cadre sweet :wink:

And hence the source of a lot of the roadblocks to getting anything done....

luchi
18th September 2007, 11:44
Attachment?

army speak for working with of for another unit but still art of your own unit. Common practice for camp and courses.

Prolatarian
18th September 2007, 21:58
Thanks.:smile:

boforgunner
23rd September 2007, 21:42
Hi all, Im a sgt in the ADR with about 10 years unbroken service living in the east cork area. Thinking of a transfer to a cav or other corps unit in the area.A change is as good as a rest so they say!! Met a few cav lads on bere during the summer. Any idea where to go or how to do it?

goc132
23rd September 2007, 23:34
Might not be too easy transfer at same rank if there is no vacancy you may have to drop a rank,but check it out.

Goldie fish
24th September 2007, 01:15
Its impossible to transfer to Cav in the south as a Sgt at the moment. Some of us who did are in limbo, on detachment. Others are attached to BTC, but parading with(and for all intents and purposes) a part of 31 Cav.
They won't let you drop a rank either for some reason. I'm not gonna say they'd welcome you with open arms, as I am not in a position to speak for the unit. Best bet is give Clonmel a call.

But the way things are going with non integrated reserve, I'd stay where I was if I were you.

luchi
24th September 2007, 10:47
They won't let you drop a rank either for some reason.

Is that a cav or local rule?

We have had on or two sgts transfer in and the dropped to cpl due to no sgt vacancy.

Truck Driver
24th September 2007, 18:58
Is that a cav or local rule?

We have had on or two sgts transfer in and the dropped to cpl due to no sgt vacancy.

It's in R5 that a demotion may be required when doing an inter Corps transfer,
subject to vacancies being available in the receiving unit

Bravo20
24th September 2007, 19:44
Para 20 (2) - R5 New Series
A non commissioned officer who applies to be reassigned from one Service Corps of the Army Reserve to another or from the Army Reserve to the Naval Service Reserve and consents to a reduction in rank asa condition of reassignment-

a) may be reduced by the OIC Records & Data Managmenet to such lower non-commissioned rank, corresponding to a non-commissioned rank in which there is a vacancy in the Establishements, as the OIC Records & Data Management may determine, and

b) shall, unless they have passed all the qualify tests laid down for the non-commisioned rank corresponding to his non-commissioned army rank and there is a vacancy in the Establishements in such non-commissioned rank, be reduced-
i) to the non commissioned army rank corresponding to a non commissioned naval rank for which they have passed all the qualifiying tests and in which there is a vacancy in the Establishments of the Naval Service Reserve;
ii) if they have not passed the qulifying tests for the rank of Leading Seaman in Naval Service Reserve to the rank of Private.

3) Where a non-commissioned officer is transferred from one service corps to another at their own request they may be reduced to the next lower non-commissioned army rank by the General Officer Commanding the Brigade.

Clear as mud

trellheim
24th September 2007, 19:58
Go on attachment... it's simpler.

Although if you want to be a Sgt. there are vacancies across the land.

Goldie fish
24th September 2007, 23:36
Take that Glengarry off so. You are not worthy to wear it.
Just like your pip then.

Truck Driver
25th September 2007, 11:52
Just like your pip then.

Meow. Saucer of milk for Goldie's table.... :biggrin:

boforgunner
25th September 2007, 20:37
no no lads, not looking for a pip ar even a rusty sherrifs badge above my stripes.just looking for a change from adr. iv a full bike+car licence if that would help the cav angle. might try parading but the parent unit would be liable to get shitty and take it as a snub which in these small corps sub units is always the way