Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Direct Entry

Dear all,

I recently applied for a direct entry position as a CIS engineering officer in the army and air corps. I hold the relavent qualifications for the job and I believe well suited for it. What has me thinking though is that candidates must be under 38. Im 22 and straight out of college with no experience. Im wondering will I be at a great disadvantage being so young with no experience, or will the the army be looking for someone young they can mould easier into their way of thinking.

Would appreciate any feedback on this subject.
    :flagwave:

A mixture. It really depends on the number of candidates applying and the experience level of each. The no experience will be a disadvantage but your youth will be an advantage. However if they were choosing between someone aged 25 with 3 years experience and you they may go for the 25 year old. Either way as the saying goes if you are not in you can't win, so go for it and good luck.

Comment

Ya I suppose it all depends on what there looking for. Im also going the cadet route and im through to the second phase, but after spending four years in college, another two years of training doesn't appeal to me. Direct entry is the way to go.
      Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by the six million dollar man
        Direct entry is the way to go.
        perhaps but your promotion prospects are capped if you going via direct entry
        You're even dumber than I tell people

You might have been infected but you never were a bore

Comment

They are, unfortunately.

Comment

Ah Fcuk it, at a staring salary of €38,000 a year and a Pension and Vast experience in the field by the time your promotion is capped you could probably go out on your own or look for more money in a cushy number!

Me being too old for the Cadets Would jump at the Chance (now where did I put that Degree)

Friends Come and Go, but Enemies accumulate!!

Comment

The INDO appointments Section about 2 weeks ago you must have a degree in IT or Communications to apply, Don't worry though Kermit the Competition is open until December

Comment

Go for it gentlemen...although it will kill me to refer to kermit as Sir
                Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

If u join with Direct Entry....what Army training do you do before you take up your CIS (or whatever) position in the DF? Do you still do normal military training like other officers or do are you just like an IT worker only in a uniform?

Also, what is the pay? Is it the same as normal Army Officers or is it higher?

Comment

The phrase used for DE officer training is "Shoot & Salute" :D

Comment

Any idea what the salary is?

If anyone has a copy of the ad can you send it to me as well?

admin2@irishmilitary.com

Thanks!
                      Last edited by ICUN; 11 June 2003, 10:26.

Comment

salary kicks off at 38k, ring your bde manpower office they will point you in the right direction
                        You're even dumber than I tell people

You might have been infected but you never were a bore

Comment

Thats pretty good money.

I will give them a ring and see what the craic is.

I always thought direct entry was for medical personnel and engineers only...I didnt realise IT qualifications could get you in as well

Comment

They may have advertised on the military.ie.

Comment

Hmm,

No its not advertised on military.ie, could be why they need a CIS engineer!!

Anyway I think its more Communications Engineering. Than IT!

Comment

Working...
                              X