Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Messines Day

Messines Day

This anniversary just passed by on June 7th. Unfortunately I was away from home and thus unable to post on the day. As a prelude to the Battle of Passchendale, an attack was launched on Messines Ridge on June 7th 1917. The 16th Irish and 36th Ulster Divisions were tasked with capturing the village of Witschaete. This was the only occasion during World War One that the two Irish Divisions on the Western Front fought side by side. The most famous Irish casualty of the battle was Major Willy Redmond 5th Bn Royal Irish Regt. 17,000 British and Commonwealth troops died in the attack.
    sigpic
    Say NO to violence against Women

Originally posted by hedgehog
    My favourite moment was when the
    red headed old dear got a smack on her ginger head

Was he not the Home rule Redmond who encouraged irishmen to fight to win the respect of The Crown? Or was it his brother?

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

T'was the brother John. Legend has it that the orangemen presented their sashs to the catholics before going over and that Redmond was carried back from the front by members of the 36th....

Laters

-C
      Meh.

Comment

Legend has it that the orangemen presented their sashs to the catholics before going over

Highly unlikely

Redmond was carried back from the front by members of the 36th....

True
        sigpic
        Say NO to violence against Women

My favourite moment was when the
        red headed old dear got a smack on her ginger head

Comment

Working...
        X