Old Photos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old Photos

Just wondering if anybody can identify this vessel, the pictures were taken in Waterford by my dad during the emergency when he was in the Slua Mhuire.

My Dad in Dunmore,

Superb shots! Pity I don't know the ship or the type of gun! Thanks for that Farlee.

Comment

Just looking at the sailor beside the gun, is that a French naval hat?

Comment

Hard to tell. The Irish NS had the black top for winter until the early 70s, However the Jean collar looks different to the irish stripe.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Originally posted by Test Pilot View Post
          Superb shots! Pity I don't know the ship or the type of gun! Thanks for that Farlee.
          Think it could be Fort Rannoch, with a naval 12 pounder?
          Im Ron Burgendy??

Comment

Fort Rannoch had a shelterdeck forehead, like most Trawlers still do.

Comment

I can't be sure it's an Irish vessel, there seems to be very few photos of the emergency era Irish navy, next time I'm home I'll ask my dad if he can remember anything about it.

Comment

Its a french vessel tied up at the old berthing hulks outside Reginalds tower where the marina is now. The ratings hat is of the french type..and the vessel is a minesweeper / minor warefare vessel..I'll figure out the type later.

Look at the jack to identify the vessel..an Irish one would have a Gold harp on a green back round.

The berthing hulks date from the 1870s and were still in position up to about tens years ago.

The rating also wears a lanyard on his left shoulder..also a french thing....

more bad news..its not a twelve pounder more like an american 3inch QF Gun

so in brief

Its a french sweeper/minor warfare vessel on the south quays in Waterford after the war/emergency as there are no records to show any free french vessels in Waterford at the time.

You could also try contact the Naval Assoiciation and submit your photos..someone in the Waterford branch maybe able to be more specific.

These are facts .
                Last edited by hptmurphy; 25 April 2007, 11:00.
                Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

OK ...."Janes Fighting Ships of WW2" tells me its a Former US Steel Type minesweeper converted to subchasing, transfffered to France after the war.

The gun is a 3inch D.P AA gun along with a pair of 20mm and a 40mm Bofors. The penant number is confusing as they didn't wear the 'W' prefix with the Americans and the only French phots I could find use a "D" prefix...

but thats what it is..and the gun..and the possible time frame.
                  Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

I concur with kermit on this one....In french service they wore only a penant number..and also in US service where the used a "Pc" prefix for steel hulled subchaser ..but unfortunately no names in either case,

No pictures available so far except the one I found in Janes.

Comment

Very hard to tell..the outline certainly looks similar but the main gun in the painting seems to be turreted..otherwise I'd go with a yes.....

Comment

The "w" seem a bit too stylised for a pennant number.

Comment

I have to agree it is almost certainly a French vessel, I had hoped it was Irish. France aquired 33 of these patrol craft from the US under the lend lease program.
                          http://www.ww2pcsa.org/patrol-craft.html

Comment

But at least we know what the vessel is and the type of gun..and it certainly asn't the Fort Rannoch with a navalised 12pdr gun.....or operated by the NS.

Comment

Murpf, what has you up at 04.14 hrs?

Comment

Working...
                              X