EC135 Equipment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EC135 Equipment

Silver, your quote as above is interesting. perhaps you can enlighten the board as to the "toys" on board.
    I think Silver is talking about the amount of equippment onboard the EC135. There was talk going around that the amount of kit installed had added so much weight that the new copper chopper's range was notably reduced.
    "The dolphins were monkeys that didn't like the land, walked back to the water, went back from the sand."

Correct on both counts, FMolloy !
    IRISH AIR CORPS - Serving the Nation.

Comment

Another advantage of private contract aviation in Ireland is the tendency of former A/C personnel to congregate in such employment, add the minimal level of governmental oversight of a HEMS service, et voila!
      One de facto air corps reserve, FOC.
      "It is a general popular error to imagine that loudest complainers for the public to be the most anxious for it's welfare" Edmund Burke

Comment

OK Silver, you either dont want to answer, or you dont have the answer to back up your comment on the "toy's". No problem, I will ask someone else.

Lurk

Comment

Like I said Lurk, Silver was referring to the amount of equipment installed on the new copper chopper. It is rumoured that the weight of this extra kit has noticably decreased the heli's range.
          "The dolphins were monkeys that didn't like the land, walked back to the water, went back from the sand."

Comment

FM, thanks for the reply, but I have to ask, are you speaking for Silver?
            You used the important word "rumoured". Thats what I want to clarify, and if Silver says the Guards 135 full of toys, let him answer and back up his comment. I have the greates respect for posts, especially Silvers, but I have no time for rumour.

Comment

Have to agree. Speculation is the first step in the road to deception. Is this just another excuse to Knock the Gardai and Air Corps?

Facts please.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

It was mentioned in some newspaper articles at the time of the helicopter's purchase, it was also mentioned on Frank's Air Corp board.

Comment

Goldie is dead right when he mentioned excuses to Knock the Gardai and Air Corps. Franks board also contains rumour. It was said so it must be right?

Lurk

Comment

I'll be sure to confrim everything I hear with the Department of Defence or the CoS in future so.

Comment

Originally posted by Silver

When I made the comment (re "toys"), it was to show how strongly I believe in the need for an Air Ambulance over the likes of "side-looking infra-red equipment" in our GASU helis.

Silver.

:flagwave:
                      What is your Problem with having a flir? It is a vital tool in police work. the Nightsun is just as important. The Uplink is vital for command and control. You remind me of the typical Garda Knocker who would complain one day about a checkpoint outside your workplace and the next day plead "where were the gardai" when some joyrider ploughs into kids on their way to school. The equipment on the GASU machines is standard on most police helis today,and all of it has a practical purpose in day to day policing.

Avoid making sweeping statements unless you can back it up with fact,or failing that, reasonable argument.
                      A friend of mine in the GASU has no complaints about any aircraft,and no offence,but I think he is more qualified to pass an opinion than anyone else here. The Helis have been found to be more useful in an urban environment,and their average poeration lasts 15-20 minutes,therefor range or endurance is not an issue.
                      The Defender on the other hand,is used over long periods in a mainly rural environment and it has excelled in this role.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

I can forsee the next post re Toy's for the boys...

The Air Corps helis should have been equipped for dual Army Co Op /Air Ambulance duties, as is the case in many counties.
                        The S91 being the most suitable of the two - Instead it is overloaded with "toys for the boys". ie the winch, flir & nite sun!!!

Comment

I have no problem with any of the equipment on the GASU helis.

However, I believe that saving lives is more important.

Silver.

Comment

Originally posted by Bud Fox
                            I can forsee the next post re Toy's for the boys...

The Air Corps helis should have been equipped for dual Army Co Op /Air Ambulance duties, as is the case in many counties.
                            The S91 being the most suitable of the two - Instead it is overloaded with "toys for the boys". ie the winch, flir & nite sun!!!
                            The S-61 not S-91(SK 257) is fitted with Winch and flir,it does not have a nite sun, your facts are wrong.The so called "toys for the boys"you mention are there to save peoples lives.They have in the past and will in the future,thats a fact.

Vmax:flagwave:

Comment

May I point out, to those who do not know any better, that many UK Police forces have helis equipped with flir, nitesun, etc, which are ALSO equipped for Air Ambulance duties.

Our EC-135 is equipped with EXTRA equipment, over and above the normal police heli gear. It is this extra equipment which caused the "overweight" row between the Gardai and Air Corps authorities, and it is this EXTRA equipment that I believe was unnecessary in a country which doesn't have a dedicated air ambulance heli.

The extra equipment on the EC-135 (supplied via US govt agencies) is used in anti-terrorist, anti-smuggling missions. These missions, while important, only constitute a small part of the helis duties and therefore, IMHO, this kind of equipment should have been fitted to an AC heli, which in turn would have allowed the EC-135 to be used in the air ambulance role also.

Then again that would have required proper planning and real co-operation between the AC and Gardai, something which seems to be severly lacking, to date.
                              Egos getting in the way of common sense as usual.

:flagwave:

Comment

Working...
                              X