X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• more mines

Originally posted by Truck Driver View Post
    As in

"the nasty frogman swum up to the ship and stuck a limpet mine onto the hull..."

- those sort?

From the Australian Navy website:

"The maritime mine is a cheap, effective weapon that can be used in a variety of ways to achieve different strategic or tactical objectives. Mines can be used in small numbers to sink ships, or in large numbers to blockade ports and deny sea areas to an adversary. They can be used at all levels of conflict, particularly in the early stages where political pressure can be exerted without fear of immediate higher level retaliation. They can be laid by aircraft, submarines and surface vessels, covertly and without advance warning. The low cost and highly effective nature of mines means that economically constrained countries or non-government groups may be able to employ a destructive capability out of all proportion to its cost.... In recent decades the use of naval mines has increased, and their potential use by terrorist and criminal organisations has added another dimension to the threat. Incidents in the Arabian and Persian Gulfs since the 1980s have reinforced the need to be able to combat both low and high technology mines.

Early sea mines were relatively simple devices; however, modern mines are more technically advanced, versatile in their deployment and difficult to counter. Today, there are many types of mines available, each with their own delivery system and purpose. Mine actuation methods vary significantly, including the use of ships’ magnetic, acoustic and pressure signatures, as well as contact or remote control. Therefore, a combination of minehunting, minesweeping and clearance diving is required to allow for the efficient and effective location, identification and disposal of sea mines and underwater obstructions."

Originally posted by Truck Driver View Post
    As in

"the nasty frogman swum up to the ship and stuck a limpet mine onto the hull..."

- those sort?
    No...

Comment

Call the Navy!

Imagine the scenario:

It’s the spring of 2009. Having come home from Liberia, the Irish Army have substantially increased troop deployments to Afghanistan, including combat elements, following heavy political and economic pressure from the US. There is a firefight in which Irish soldiers kill a number of Taliban fighters. This of course is heavily publicised. The Taliban leadership call on their friends in Al Qaeda to help them avenge these deaths and to deter any further involvement by other countries in Afghanistan.

A few months later, a large if slightly shabby motor yacht moors in Crosshaven. Only one crew member is seen during their overnight stay. A week after its departure, at about noon on a fine summer Sunday, there is a massive underwater explosion at the entrance to Cork Harbour. Fortunately only one vessel is caught in the explosion, a yacht on its way out to race. Three of the crew members are rescued by other yachts in the vicinity, but the 12-year old son of the owner is never found.

Within an hour, the offices of Irish newspapers and television and radio stations receive an e-mail from a hitherto unheard of Islamic fundamentalist group, claiming that the explosion was an underwater mine triggered by a timer, and that a number of other similar mines had been sown in the approaches and entrances to some of Ireland’s main ports. The message stated that the Irish government had 48 hours to announce the withdrawal of its troops from Afghanistan, or more mines will detonate. If the government agrees, the timers will be stopped by remote-control.

What happens next?

Comment

Ask Lord Mountbatten.

Our shower of reprobates were targeting leisure vessels for years before Osama was shaving.

I suggest you write a book. Fiction of course.
        Last edited by Goldie fish; 14 May 2007, 19:13.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Originally posted by carrington View Post

a large if slightly shabby motor yacht moors in Crosshaven. Only one crew member is seen during their overnight stay. ?
          Large private motor yachts tend not to be shabby!! Well not the ones I've encountered!
          "The Question is not: how far you will take this? The Question is do you possess the constitution to go as far as is needed?"

Comment

Originally posted by carrington View Post
            Imagine the scenario:

It’s the spring of 2009. Having come home from Liberia, the Irish Army have substantially increased troop deployments to Afghanistan, including combat elements, following heavy political and economic pressure from the US. There is a firefight in which Irish soldiers kill a number of Taliban fighters. This of course is heavily publicised. The Taliban leadership call on their friends in Al Qaeda to help them avenge these deaths and to deter any further involvement by other countries in Afghanistan.

A few months later, a large if slightly shabby motor yacht moors in Crosshaven. Only one crew member is seen during their overnight stay. A week after its departure, at about noon on a fine summer Sunday, there is a massive underwater explosion at the entrance to Cork Harbour. Fortunately only one vessel is caught in the explosion, a yacht on its way out to race. Three of the crew members are rescued by other yachts in the vicinity, but the 12-year old son of the owner is never found.

Within an hour, the offices of Irish newspapers and television and radio stations receive an e-mail from a hitherto unheard of Islamic fundamentalist group, claiming that the explosion was an underwater mine triggered by a timer, and that a number of other similar mines had been sown in the approaches and entrances to some of Ireland’s main ports. The message stated that the Irish government had 48 hours to announce the withdrawal of its troops from Afghanistan, or more mines will detonate. If the government agrees, the timers will be stopped by remote-control.

What happens next?
            Get in the NS divers, isn't that one of their job's, supposed to be pretty good at it too.
            Dr. Venture: Why is it every time I need to get somewhere, we get waylaid by jackassery?

Dr. Venture: Dean, you smell like a whore

Comment

shabby

Originally posted by ZULU View Post
              Large private motor yachts tend not to be shabby!! Well not the ones I've encountered!
              Think of an old boat that was bought cheap somewhere in the Eastern Med. and has just completed a voyage from North Africa without any maintenance or cleaning... For example,

Comment

innocuous

They might look like this:

Mines aboard a Danish patrol craft.

Comment

A boat like that on a trip from the Med would long have been on Interpol's "radar" before it got near Ireland. It couldnt be more suspicious unless it was actually named "Madame Drug Smuggler".

Comment

Thats Drakes Pool.

Now I know you. Your the new age hippy that lives on board!!
                    "The Question is not: how far you will take this? The Question is do you possess the constitution to go as far as is needed?"

Comment

more MCM resources required?

There are two main types of naval mine. Bottom mines are usually sown in shallow water and rest on the seabed. Ships passing over the mines actuate the trigger mechanism causing the mine to explode. These mines can be laid in deeper water when submarines are the target. A bottom mine would look like this:

Moored mines are laid in deeper water and are effective against both submarines and surface vessels. The casing of the mine is positively bouyant, attached by cable to an anchor on the seabed. A typical moored mine:

Mines can be triggered by contact, by the sound of the ship passing through the water, by the magnetic signature of the ship's hull or the change in pressure caused by the movement of the ship through the water.

Dealing with mines requires mine countermeasures (MCM) vessels with high definition sonar, remote-operated underwater vehicles (ROVs), mine-clearance divers, as well as the traditional sweep gear. Sonar can find the mines so that the ROVs or divers can be guided to the mine and can destroy it using an explosive charge.

The task of keeping ports and coastal shipping lanes free from the threat of mining is an essential part of maritime defence. According to www.military.ie, the primary role of the Naval Service is National Security:
                      "The objective of the Naval Service in this role is to defend the State against armed aggression and to provide for its security, by maintaining a naval and maritime service for the State in that part of the seas where State jurisdiction applies; internal waters, territorial sea (12 mile limit) and the Irish Sector of the European Economic Zone (EEZ) (200 mile limit)) and on the High Seas. This mission is sub - divided as follows:

* DETER AND RESIST AGGRESSION
                      * SURVEILLANCE OF EEZ
                      * UPHOLD NEUTRALITY"

It seems to me that one of the most likely forms of maritime aggression in the current security environment is mining. Does the Naval Service have adequate resources to deal with this threat?

Comment

It probably is'nt the most popular point of view but I no not know what we want a Multi role vessel for,it will cost big money to build and big money to operate and maintain. It would be far more economical to charter a Ro Ro vessel as required. A lift on lift off vessel would be cheeper to charter and to pick up, it would also have the advantage of being easy to operate, not all ports have link spans (ramps from shore to ship).
                        As an island that exports 86% of all we produce,over 90% by sea, we do need minesweepers, as sweepers are purely defencive even the Greens could'nt object.

Comment

Stone the heretic!

Comment

Chartering...Minesweepers...?
                            1) Firstly you cannot be gauranteed that you would have a suitable charter vessel available when you need it to get you there or probably more important to get you out.
                            2) You dont have any self protection on a chartered vessel for the vessel itself, its cargo and the most valuable item of all the personnel onboard especially in the risk zone - other nations valuable assets have to look out for you just to protect you.
                            3) A multi-role vessel is just that "Multi-role" - it is designed to do a range of tasks that once were undertaken by a number of different types of vessels thus it is a cheaper investment over the longterm.
                            4) A multi-role vessel also shows a higher degree of professional committment by a nation state to the operational mission integrity amongst other alliance members - not to be sneezed at as it translates into influence.
                            5) Multi-role vessels dont need ports (or should have the capability not to need them) - someplaces where your going to go wont have the harbour infrastructure anyway.
                            6) Minesweepers are just one aspect of SLOC where as Patrol Vessel's can offer a greater tasking range and can also include relatively inexpensive CAD/CAC systems for mine countermeasures.
                            7) The Greens? After Ive told them that they need a bath and haircut I usually plead for them to go to Kabul and do their bit for world peace.

Comment

We can stop using the "MRV" as a title for the larger ship by the way. The Cav already have that one taken as a Medium recon. vehicle.

Comment

Working...
                              X