Naming Naval vessels.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Naming Naval vessels.

The current policy with the naming of Irish Naval vessels is to name them after Characters in irish Folklore. Operational Ships have been named after Female characters,while the auxiliaries were named after men. Any suggestions for the future ships,if any?
    To remind you,the names already used were as follows.
    Auxiliaries:
    Ferdia
    Setanta

Operational
    Cliona
    Maeve
    Macha

Banba
    Grainne
    Fola

Deirdre
    Emer
    Aoife
    Aisling
    (aisling is the only exception so far,not being an actual person but a female vision in one of yeates poetry or something)
    Eithne

Ciara
    Orla

Roisìn
    Niamh
    Fail to prepare....prepare to FAIL!

The LE Harney.... our first Aircraft Carrier big enough to land a CASA.

Comment

Good,but for the fact harney is not her first name..
      And the true title is Casa..first aircraft big enough to handle a Harney :D

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

L.É. Riónach
        L.É. Éilis
        L.É. Eileen (Me Mammy)
        L.É. Bridgid/t
        L.É. Tara

See you just pick an Irish womans's Name!!

Most Ships are named after mythical Chartacters. Aisling was named after a fictional Character, (Lucky it wasn't L.É. Maude Gonne) and the ships crests are based on these myths. They already got Niamh the Bastards.

http://www.bailerweb.com/sections/navy/coa.htm

And I'd like to point out to lots of mothers in Dublin Naoisé is a BOYS name
        Last edited by Bailer; 11 January 2006, 12:42.
        Friends Come and Go, but Enemies accumulate!!

Comment

Originally posted by Bailer

Most Ships are named after mythical Chartacters. Aisling was named after a fictional Character, (Lucky it wasn't L.É. Maude Gonne)
          Maud Gonne was a real person, wasn't she?

Comment

I was referring to the Ship being named after a character created by Yeats, most of his female characters were actually referring to Gonne!,

Aisling was Named to commemorate the Centenery of Pearse's birth and the Ships Crest Bears An Claideamh Solais (Official Symbol of The 1916 Rising) and part of the Galway arms to signify Rosmuc in Galway were Pearse had a home/retreat.
            Last edited by Bailer; 11 January 2006, 12:44.

Comment

What about L.E. Devastator or L.E. Ocean Destroyer or L.E. Sea-monster,... you know,.. cool names

Seriously though, I actually like the idea of the names from fictional charactors, it's a great way of establishing a tradition.

Comment

LE Republic, LE Democracy....
                Meh.

Comment

More like the LE Banana Republic & the new HPV the LE Where's the Chopper

Comment

Originally posted by Bailer

And I'd like to point out to lots of mothers in Dublin Naoisé is a BOYS name

Possibly the less educated dublin mothers are confusing it with Neasa,which could be a gaelification of Vanessa?

But Naoise is definitely Male,the male in the story of Deirdre if i remember my Hopscotch book right(anyone else remember them?). Dee had a vision of the man she would marry having hair as black as a crows feather...and they all died..typical irish story:-patriot:

I do not believe Tara to be a traditional irish womans name though,it being the seat of the ancient kings of ireland.

I always thought that the next auxiliary,such as a tug or supply ship should be called Balor..

I Know that Siobhan was considered for the second P 30 ship(yank keyboard here..no fada)
                    I was hoping to hear reasons for these names though...does anyone know the history behind their choices?
                    Last edited by Farel'; 19 June 2003, 05:44.
                    Fail to prepare....prepare to FAIL!

Comment

L.É. Deirdre, as Mentioned above The Legend of Crochúr MacNeasa and Naoise They all Died !!

LÉ Emer = Emer was the principal wife of Cuchulainn and the daughter of a chieftain from Rush, Co Dublin.

LÉ Aoife = Stepmother of the CHILDREN OF Lir who was turned into a Raven.

LÉ Aisling = as explained above!!

LÉ Eithne = She was the daughter of the one-eyed Fomorian King, Balor and there was a prophesy about which said that Balor would be killed by his grandson. So he locked her in a castle on an Island!

LÉ Orla = Orla was a grand niece of Brian Boru. She was murdered by her husband around 1090.

LÉ Ciara = Ciara was the daughter of a wealthy Christian family who settled near Nenagh, Co Tipperary in the 7th century, She established Convents in Nenagh and in Durrow Co Laois.

LÉ Roisin = Roisin or Roisin Dubh, though now usually portrayed as an allegory for Ireland, was probably one of the daughters of Red Hugh O'Neill, Earl of Tyrone in the late 16th Century. She was married several times while very young.

LÉ Niamh = The Blonde Beauty who took Oisin to Tir Na nOg. on a White Horse, he returned after what felt like a year to find the Fianna only to find they had passed away Centuries before.

I'm sure Goldie Can enlighten us as to the rest of the Ships!
                      Last edited by Bailer; 8 September 2003, 08:49.

Comment

Er..Yeah..sure I can....ahem...

Comment

Yeah Farel' one Girl in the Local "town" i.e. Swords called their little girl Naoise and the next year outside the post office on a thursday ot was Like "naoise do this, dont do this etc etc . there's feckin loads of little girls called that now!!

Spaceba

Comment

Macha:
                            Macha (mah-kuh), the old woman of winter and the end of the cycle. Macha is an odd diety in that she is rarely worshipped, but given aknowledgement widely. She is the goddess of winter and the end of the life cycle. In visions, she appears as a withered old woman with rheumy eyes and a scowl. Needless to say, she is rarely worshipped. She represents the end of life, and of the winter in all things. She governs an aspect of life which, while unpleasant, is part of the natural order of things. It was Macha, in a younger form, who cursed the warriors of Ulster to feel the pangs of childbirth whenever their country was threatened. Although not worshipped per se, she is mentioned at Samhain, as it is the end of the year, and her time.

Maev:
                            Queen of Connaught whose father was High King of Ireland.There are many legends about the mythical Iron Age Queen but arguable the most well-known is that of The Brown Bull. An old Irish legend claims that she wanted to prove that she could match her husbands wealth. When they compared their possessions it was discovered that King Ailill (her husband) was wealthier as he had a ‘White Bull’ that Maeve couldn’t match. When she heard that Ulster had a ‘Brown Bull’ that would give her the edge over her husband, she ordered her Connacht army to march to Ulster and take the bull.

Despite being driven out of Ulster Maeve ’s army managed to capture the great Brown Bull. So the White and Brown Bull fought and Queen Maeve ’s Brown bull killed the White bull belonging to her husband and so Maeve could now prove that she was the wealthier of the two and this pleased her greatly.

You can visit the tomb of Queen Maeve which exists as a large cairn found on top of Knocknarea, the knock overlooking Sligo town on one side and the Atlantic on the other. The cairn consists of a large mound of round grey stones. When you visit remember to collect a round stone at the base of the hill and deposit it on the cairn. Do not take a stone from the cairn as a keepsake as it is considered very bad luck

Cliona:
                            from Old Irish name Clidna. In legend, Clidna was the name of one of the three beautiful daughters of the poet Manannan mac Lir. A fairy of the same name was the guardian spirit of the MacCarthys.

Fola:
                            Fodla - "sovereignty". An ancient goddess with Banba and Eriu.

Banba:according to ancient Irish legend, Ireland was first called "the island of Banba of the women". One of the three goddesses of sovereignity who Amerigin met when he invaded Ireland.

Grainne:Gráinne - (GROH-nyuh) "sun" or "sun goddess" or "grace, love"; ancient name borne by 16th Century queen. Grania.
                            Grania - (GRAW-nya) from Old Irish grainne "grain, seed". Prob. name of an ancient Irish grain goddess. In a medieval tale, Grainne was betrothed to Finn mac Cumhaill, but eloped with Diarmaid. Grania Mhaol Ni Mhaolmhaigh (Grace O'Malley) was a chieftainess of the Burkes of County Mayo and renowned for her seafaring skills and fought against Queen Elizabeth I's forces. Granna, Grain, Grainne (GRAW-ne) most modern).

Glad to be of assistance :flagwave:

Comment

Incidentally..
                              Nessa - (NES-ah) An Old Irish name, Nessa was the name of the mother of Conchobar mac Nessa, great legendary king of Ulster. Her original name was Assa "gentle", until one day she came home and found her 12 foster fathers murdered by an outlaw band. She avenged their deaths and changed her name to Ni-assa "ungentle", or Nessa.

Tara - (TAH-ra) "tower" or "crag"; from Old Irish Temair. In legend, Temair was wife of Eremon, leader of the ancestors of the Irish, Sons of Mil. Temair gave her name to the hill of Tara, the traditional seat of Irish kingship. Teamhair (TOHR).
                              Teamhair - (TOHR) probably "eminence" or "elevated place". Possible version of Tara.

Naoise - son of Uisliu and served Conchobhar mac Ness, King of the Ulaidh; fell in love with Deirdre, who was promised to the king, and had to flee for his life. When they returned under a promise of forgiveness, Naoise was ambushed and killed. Naoisi.

Comment

Working...
                              X