Medic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Medic

How woulda I go about becoming our platoon medic? or is there such thing in the R.D.F?
    Last edited by Guest; 16 January 2003, 18:07.

There is no establishment for a medic in an infantry platoon. In theory every soldier is supposed to be trained in providing basic first aid. You could however attend a first aid course which is usually run by either the 2 Med or 11 Med.

Comment

Would it not make sense to have a fully trained field medic in every section, or at the very least one per platoon?
      It is only by contemplation of the incompetent that we can appreciate the difficulties and accomplishments of the competent.

Comment

As far as i can work out the army doesn't always do the smart thing
        There is no problem that cannot be fixed with high explosive.

Comment

if the CAP fits...

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Originally posted by Bravo20
            There is no establishment for a medic in an infantry platoon. In theory every soldier is supposed to be trained in providing basic first aid. You could however attend a first aid course which is usually run by either the 2 Med or 11 Med.
            observation isnt something you pride yourself on is it bravo?

hes from cork... hes not coming all the way up here to do a medics course!
            Over the centuries, mankind has tried many ways of combating the forces of evil...prayer, fasting, good works and so on. Up until Doom, no one seemed to have thought about the double-barrel shotgun. Eat leaden death, demon...

http://www.iamawesome.com/

Comment

Why do people become medics anyway?

Is it because they like the uniform but not the guns?

Or that the malteasers wouldnt take them?

Comment

Well I Joined the FCA blindly. I didnt know what I was getting myself in to...not a wise decision I know. However if I could start again I would join the medics rather than another corp. As a potential recruit I was given a big talk about how we do weapons training and tactics etc etc etc. Did'nt happen. I joined the medics having no first aid training. As did most others. When we started training we gradually got to like it. Most people who join the unit join for 1 of 3 reasons. 1 Because they are doing nursing, EMT, DOctor etc. 2 They are pulled in by their friends. 3 They had no idea what we do and just cam up for a look.

One of the better things about being a medic is that no 2 days are the same. For instance in an Inf Unit things are pretty much the same all the time. You become TOET on the Styer. Learn you battle drills. Practice. Practice. Practice. Do guard duty... Its going over the same stuff all the time. Granted the learning process is the same for any corp. But, in the medics when you go away with a unit on camp every day is different. Example, I was away with the 11 S&T this year, treated about 5 people for the whole week. A week before that I was in the Glen of Immal, the camp was full. Every morning we had to see about 30-40 people. At one stage we had 3 treatment areas in the MAP. We would clear the backlog of people from the 9 o clock sick parade at 11. The only thing that is the same through out the camp is blisters, blisters, blisters, twisted ankles.

In order to become a section medic you must complete a First Aid course. To the best of my knowledge there hasnt been a course run for a few years by an RDF medical unit. The Medical School in the Curragh also run them.

As for the position of a medic in the Pln I would advise you to check the TAM. That is opperational info and as such should not be posted here.
                If your not in bed by 4 o' clock it's time to go home!

Comment

Thanks Joker,I was worried by question would be mistaken for sarcasm and not answered.

I always say the medics have the best setup in the rdf,except maybe for Drivers,as they can get to see what all the other Corps get up to.

Comment

Originally posted by The Joker

One of the better things about being a medic is that no 2 days are the same. For instance in an Inf Unit things are pretty much the same all the time. You become TOET on the Styer. Learn you battle drills. Practice. Practice. Practice. Do guard duty... Its going over the same stuff all the time.
                    and exactly which inf unit does this? wnd when did you serve in an inf bn?
                    Over the centuries, mankind has tried many ways of combating the forces of evil...prayer, fasting, good works and so on. Up until Doom, no one seemed to have thought about the double-barrel shotgun. Eat leaden death, demon...

http://www.iamawesome.com/

Comment

Originally posted by T.I.M.
                      and exactly which inf unit does this? wnd when did you serve in an inf bn?
                      eh, mine, it sucks, i'm thinkin of joinin the medics actually.
                      Amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

i think the medics are deadly as you learn things you need in every day life to. im in my 3rd year and what iv learnt is to me really usefull im not saying that learning guns isnt dont get me wrong id love to do weapons training and hope i get to later on but least when an accident happens at home you know what to do and is more relaxed doing it it builds up my confidence to interact wit people when you go and do cover camps and you meet alot new people to every one should join
                        You can't put a price on safety x

Comment

Isnt that what the order of malta/Red cross are for?

Any chance of some punctuation sometime soon?

Comment

Trf to medic corps is one of the best moves I ever made in my army career other than joining up. One of the promblems is that you must be a jack of all trades, nurse, doc, counseler and know all. Its important that you only panic when neccessary.........listen to everyone even the malingers,liars and general headcases......always be sympathetic.........and read, read, practice, practice, and always keep your nails spotless. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

What are the RDF medics qualified to do? As a soldier in the medics moves up the ranks, are they put on more advanced courses, eg. is there a major difference in what a RDF medic corporal can do compared with a lieutenant?
                              "Gentlemen, you can’t fight in here...this is the War Room!"

Comment

Working...
                              X