New Ships for Aussies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Ships for Aussies

The Aussies are to spend $11bn for five new navy ships.

F-100 Alvaro de Bazan Class

Last edited by Guest; 19 August 2007, 08:30.

"When you arise in the morning, think of what a precious privilege it is to be alive - to breathe, to think, to enjoy, to love."

Marcus Aurelius Roman Emperor (161 to 180 A.D.)

is that aussie dollars ? We should have a similar order

Comment

Originally posted by andy View Post
      is that aussie dollars ? We should have a similar order
      I assume you forgot to put a smilie in there, where you suggested that one of the smallest island nations should embark on a similar building programme for Amphibious ships and Aegis Air defence warships as the Largest Island nation in the world?

Cop on.

Any more flippancy and I'll be forced to moderate your statements.

$8Bn for 3 ships!

To be Australia's most advanced and expensive warships, they will enter service from 2013.
      Australia needs them to replace their ageing Adelaide class(Oliver Hazard Perry). However the head of the fleet was more favoured towards an adapted(larger) Arleigh Burke design. The F100 looks odd, but the Spanish seem quite pleased with theirs.
      IZAR are now Navantia.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

I can see this thread rapidy rising to the heights of 'should have MBTs'.

just a thought but I wonder now the election has run its ineveitable course and the summer dail break is looming will there be any announcement on what is actually going to be purchase or am I going to have to endure another summer of what ifs?
        Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Keep on topic murf. Aussie Navy only. Our future plans are already being discussed elsewhere in the section.

Cheers.

Comment

I was keeping to the topic..some body had suggested should we buy these ships I merely replied that the realms of fantasy are being entered again.
            Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Originally posted by hptmurphy View Post
              I was keeping to the topic..some body had suggested should we buy these ships I merely replied that the realms of fantasy are being entered again.
              I think he was kidding...
              Dr. Venture: Why is it every time I need to get somewhere, we get waylaid by jackassery?

Dr. Venture: Dean, you smell like a whore

Comment

Sigh...

Builder: NAVANTIA-IZAR, Astillero Ferrol
                Propulsion: 2 × General Electric LM2500 gas turbines, 2 × Caterpillar 3600 diesel engines
                Shafts: 2
                Length: 147 m (482 ft)
                Beam: 18.6 m (61 ft)
                Draught: 4.75 (15 ft)
                Displacement: 6,250 tons (full load)
                Speed: 29+ knots (54+ km/h)
                Range: 5000 mi
                Cost: € 385 million
                Crew: 240 (35 officers)
                Armament:
                1 × 5-inch/54 Mk45 Mod 2 gun
                Provision for one CIWS FABA 20mm/120 Meroka system.
                6 × Mk41 Strike 8-cell VLS
                SAM: 24 × Standard SM-2 Block IIIA
                SAM: 48 × RIM-162 Evolved Sea Sparrow Missile
                SSM: 12 x BGM-109 Tomahawk
                SSM: 8 × McDonnell Douglas RGM-84 Harpoon anti-shipping missile 12
                ASW: 4 × 324 mm Mk32 Mod 9 triple Torpedo launchers with 12 Honeywell Mk46 mod 5 Torpedo
                Helicopter:
                1 × Sikorsky SH-60B LAMPS III Seahawk
                Electronics
                Sonar: ENOSA-Raytheon DE 1160LF (I)
                Radar: Lockheed Martin AN/SPY-1F 3-D multifunction
                Surface Radar: Raytheon SPS-67(V)4
                Weapon Control: Aegis combat system, 2 × Raytheon SPG-62 Mk99 radar illuminator, 1 × FABA DORNA fire control
                Navigation: Thales Scout
                Countermeasures
                4 × FMC SRBOC Mk36 flare launchers
                SLQ-25A Enhanced Nixie torpedo countermeasures
                ESM/ECM: Indra SLQ-380
                CESELSA Elnath Mk 9000 interceptor

Comment

Yup looks like an MBT alright.....and its not what we need.

Comment

The LHD is quite significant too. Closest the Aussies will come to a flat top for a while I imagine.
                    Length overall 190,1 m.
                    Maximum breadth 31,7 m.
                    Breadth on the waterline 24,6 m.
                    Displacement full load with m. future 21.560 t.
                    Draft full load 6,3 m.
                    Propulsion Electrical diesel, 4 groups

Engines 2 X POD
                    Maximum speed 20 kn
                    Sustained speed 18 kn
                    Range at 9,000 mn a 15 kn

Complement (S/mission) 60 persons + 70 complementary

Comment

Goldie. I think you have the specs up for the Navantia LPD design and not the Australian Navy "Strategic Projection Ship" version from Navantia + Tenix that won the contract over the French Mistral Class bid. The Spanish essentially have two designs of the Buque de Proyeccion Estrategica ship. The 21000t / 190m version and the Aussie version as signed off by the Howard Govt - some 40 meters longer at 230m and weighing all up at 27000 tonnes. Some 2000 m2 of lane space and 1000 m2 of hanger space. Able to dump a motorised Battalion Group of 970 personnel with 150 vehicles including the 60 A1M1 Abrams anywhere around the region. The new ships are to be called the Canberra Class with the lead ship Canberra due 2013 and the follow up Adelaide due in 2014. They have the capability to embark up to 16 helicopters. A mix of Seahawks, NFH-90s and Tigers is most likely. With the ski-jump deck they are also STOVL capable and this is where it gets interesting as the Aussies have signed on for 100 F-35A JSF's. Depending on how the F-35B goes development wise I would not be suprised if the Aussies go for an 85/15 split between the A version and the B version. Its definately under discussion at present and one of the reasons they canned the Mistral bid and went with the larger Navantia design. With the 3 new Air Defence Destroyers, 8 up-rated Anzac frigates, 12 new IPVs, 6 Collins Class subs, a Sealift ship of the Rotterdam Class standard and some Tenix OPVs based on the Otago Class on the books - as well as these very impressive LPD's it is shaping up to be a very capable RAN fleet by 2014. To go along with the equally impressive air force and army currently being transformed. Billions are being spent. Hats off to PM John Howard he has done a great job for regional defence unlike another PM in the region.

Comment

Whats the future for Kanimbla and Manoora with the new plans? Is their retirement date set?

Comment

The Mano and the Kani will both be junked I understand - so probably stripped then scrapped somewhere in Asia or sunk as a dive reef (Target practice for F18's eh!). They wont be in good condition by 2012 for reselling as they will be over 40 years old. The retirement dates will be dependent on the introduction of the Sealift ship also to be built per a Rotterdam or Canterbury class. I cant remember the details when that ship will be given final approval but it is expected to be online before the Amphibious Ships are commissionsed. The next issue for the RAN is fleet replenishment, though they bought a new Fleet Oiler the Sirius in 2006, the supply ship Success is due to be replaced a little after the new Destroyers and LPD's are commissioned. Im off fishing for 5 days. Rugby on tonight. AB's 28 - Aussies 18. All good. Cheers.

Comment

forgot the : ) of course. But some great ships

Comment

Leanders? or modified?

Comment

Working...
                              X