X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Envoirnmently unfriendy naval service

Was googling the other while and came aross this...really makes me worry

Belching out black smoke via The Old Blog Cabin April 15th, 2007 at 10:38
    If you drive a car in the Republic of Ireland (and most EU countries) you have to have your vehicle tested every two years for safety, equipment, lights, and carbon emissions. The government requires it to be done and you're legally obliged to have a National Car Test (NCT) certificate once the car is two years old or more.I wish it applied to ships too, especially those of the Irish Naval Service.A few days ago I saw a pall of thick black smoke over the harbour near Haulbowline Island where the Naval Service is based (in most other countries it's called the navy, but not here). Then I noticed one of the naval ships about a half mile ahead of the smoke and I soon saw that it was the source of the smoke. The smoke was so black and thick that I couldn't make out which naval ship it was,...
    Last edited by ZULU; 20 July 2007, 00:43.
    Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

The PVs and the Peacocks always have a nice cloud of black smoke when they are clutching in or out the main engines(particularly the Peacocks).

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

maybe he should take up trainspotting and see the shite they belch out!
      Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

What tree hugger is spouting this?
        "The Question is not: how far you will take this? The Question is do you possess the constitution to go as far as is needed?"

Comment

Why would anyone post such garbage? It's a meaningless observation.

What is he advocating, green engines? I hear the Germans are close to fielding Hydrogen powered submarines, would the blogger prefer a few of those in the "Naval Service"?

Comment

I hear Hydrogen bombs are green too!
            "The Question is not: how far you will take this? The Question is do you possess the constitution to go as far as is needed?"

Comment

Originally posted by ZULU View Post
              I hear Hydrogen bombs are green too!
              Ah but are they "NATO Standard" Hydrogen bombs? We can't be having any NATO standards.....

Sorry off topic... but this is the most bizarre critique of the Defence Forces I've heard since Sinn Fein started giving out about the Air Corps getting NATO standard Aircraft from.....

Switzerland.

Ship makes smoke.

Who woulda thunk it.

Comment

Originally posted by pym View Post
                Why would anyone post such garbage? It's a meaningless observation.

What is he advocating, green engines? I hear the Germans are close to fielding Hydrogen powered submarines, would the blogger prefer a few of those in the "Naval Service"?
                Heaven forbid someone posts something criticising our armed forces. Why not post it? it is military related or is it not? it could trigger a wealth of discussion on up and coming technologies? What's your issue?

Comment

Originally posted by pym View Post
                  They already have fielded them. Three of the four ordered have been delivered and are in service.

he world's newest fuel cell powered submarine has been delivered to the German Office for Defence Technology and Procurement (BWB) by Howaldtswerke-Deutsche Werft (HDW) in Kiel, according to a report in Lloyd's List. The U33 is the third of a series of four Class 212A submarines for the German navy built by HDW in Kiel and Nordseewerke in Emden, now both part of ThyssenKrupp Marine Systems.

Correction four have been delivered and two extra ones have been ordered. It has also been ordered by the Greek and South Korean navies.

The U212 submarine is capable of long-distance submerged passage to the area of operation. The German Navy ordered four of…
                  Last edited by Tribunius; 20 July 2007, 02:28.
                  "Those who have long enjoyed such privileges as we enjoy forget in time that men have died to win them." - Franklin D. Roosevelt

Comment

Is this the same NS that has a wind turbine in Haulbowline?

Comment

Obviously the guy had never been in Cork harbour in the past to witness Irish Steels emissions.

Comment

Unaware of the workings of a diesel engine either. You should see the smoke out of my yoke when I start it from cold....

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

LEt alone the numerous fishing vessels I've seen pumping their bilges into the harbour and one particular incident, dropping 4 oil filters full of oil over the side.

Comment

The next generation of USN ships will be fitted with fuel cells either as main power plant or auxiliary one. They are touted as being more efficient as well as having lower emissions.

I realise that we are talking completely different scales here but they still could be a useful asset to the NS.
                            "Those who have long enjoyed such privileges as we enjoy forget in time that men have died to win them." - Franklin D. Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by hptmurphy View Post
                              Was googling the other while and came aross this...really makes me worry
                              the reason for the smoke must have been a new cook

Comment

Working...
                              X