Getting out of the Tank Business.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting out of the Tank Business.

After several months' debate, I finally submitted a transfer request today. I've decided that overall it would probably be better for my professional development to move to another unit for a few years which has a bit more money to spend on me and more maneuver time. As my current unit is the only one in the entire SouthWest US to retain tanks, it means going to something non-tanky. In this case, a Stetson and probably Bradleys, possibly HMMWVs.

The good news is that as Cav's still a "19-Series" slot, I retain the Armor Branch and the sabres on my collar. In theory I can go back to tanks without difficulty, but politically, I've burned my bridges behind me. I guess the other good news is that "Home Station" drills will be a lot more entertaining: Las Vegas is far more interesting than the small central Californian town I'm at now. (Yes, I'll be flying to drill: I don't want to hear anyone complaining about the drive from Cork to Clonmel!)

The problem? I love tanks. They've gotten under my skin and into my blood. The only consolation is that I am due to rotate out of my current line unit in a couple of months anyway, to drive a desk for a bit. I've spent many more hours on steel than any Guard officer could have a right to expect, but I still want more. Even just being around them cheers me up. I'm really going to miss them.

Not sure I want to change my user name though. "Nevada Cav Guy" just doesn't ring the same. Ah well, just wanted to vent.

NTM
    Driver, tracks, troops.... Drive and adjust!!

Desert Trooper?

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

You can wear your party hat again

Comment

Originally posted by California Tanker View Post
        Not sure I want to change my user name though. "Nevada Cav Guy" just doesn't ring the same. Ah well, just wanted to vent.

NTM
        You'll always be California Tanker to us and we'll still love you when you're a real soldier.
        sigpic
        Say NO to violence against Women

Originally posted by hedgehog
        My favourite moment was when the
        red headed old dear got a smack on her ginger head

Comment

When he stays with cav you said? A real soldier? Are you a closet party hat fetishist Groundhog?

Comment

just because you have been adopeted to teh wear's society albeit in the wrong colours..although I thing you were adopted because of services rendered.....now.. now...

be nice
            Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

I know that! but we all move on
              Last edited by hptmurphy; 6 September 2007, 23:59.
              Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
                When he stays with cav you said? A real soldier? Are you a closet party hat fetishist Groundhog?
                I assume once they surgically remove his tank he will have to do a lot more walking. Maybe not.

As Kermit so kindly pointed out I was once a Cavalry Reservist. But I got better.
                sigpic
                Say NO to violence against Women

My favourite moment was when the
                red headed old dear got a smack on her ginger head

Comment

No need to be embarrassed, I was once in Air defense.:redface:

Good luck Cal Tank, I know these decisions for Os are the stuff nightmares are made of. Is there no Mech infantry in the Cali NG ? Id guess you would be the big dawwwwg in one of those organizations.
                  When I breeze into that city, people gonna stoop and bow.
                  All them women gonna make me, teach 'em what they don't know how

Comment

Have a good one Vegas Tanker.
                    If you have to do it, you always have to do it right. Either it makes a difference, or it’s good practice so that when it does make a difference, it gets done right.

-Me.

Comment

Vegas CFVer? Vegas Bradley?

Comment

Good luck on your flights to your new drill location, C-T !!!!

Do you get an honourary pair of AF wings after so many flight hours ???
                        "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

Originally posted by ex pat 007 View Post
                          Is there no Mech infantry in the Cali NG ? Id guess you would be the big dawwwwg in one of those organizations.
                          In my current battalion: We've two tank, two mech inf companies. One of the Inf company commanders is a tanker who ended up taking an infantry command due to it being about the only option open. CalGuard's gone totally light, or logistic, with this one battalion being the sole hold-out, and it belongs to a Washington Guard brigade. There are rumours that they've figured out that they've gone too far, and will be standing up another medium/mech unit up in my neck of the woods, but it's a couple of years away yet.

NTM

Comment

Originally posted by California Tanker View Post
                            There are rumours that they've figured out that they've gone too far, and will be standing up another medium/mech unit up in my neck of the woods, but it's a couple of years away yet.

NTM
                            Is this your presidio rumor bullshit? No way dude. They're not taking my running track away from me....
                            Meh.

Comment

Not so much a bullshit rumour as a proposal. I've seen the proposed brigade structure down to unit and state. However, I wouldn't be too worried: Much like Ft Ord has a Guard presence still, it would just be a small corner of the base. The only thing I've not seen is the proposed Bde HQ location.

That said, another news report a couple of days ago was pointing at Hunter-Liggett/Roberts as a possibility.

NTM
                              Last edited by California Tanker; 8 September 2007, 04:48.

Comment

Working...
                              X