Cavalry Deployment Overseas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cavalry Deployment Overseas

Just wondering if anyone here would have information regarding this, i know cav personnel can serve in an infantry capacity or as drivers overseas but how much cav actually get deployed in the purely cavalry role as in in afvs, is it 1 troop per company or how does it generally work.

Regards,
    Lefty

In lebanon they used to be a Battalion Mobile Reserve of a troops strength, I think. They were mostly Cav because they had Panhard 90s.
    sigpic
    Say NO to violence against Women

Originally posted by hedgehog
    My favourite moment was when the
    red headed old dear got a smack on her ginger head

Comment

KFOR: none!!
      WARNING: Consumption of alcohol may lead you to believe that ex-lovers are really dying for you to ring them at 4am!!

Comment

depends on the make up of the trip. as the lads said Leb trips had the BMR which was mostly cav, other trips haven't had as many components, just re-enforced companies, etc.
        An army is power. Its entire purpose is to coerce others. This power can not be used carelessly or recklessly. This power can do great harm. We have seen more suffering than any man should ever see, and if there is going to be an end to it, it must be an end that justifies the cost. Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain

Comment

Lebanon and Liberia had a large selection of Cav assets and pers, the latter operating as a recce troop within the "mechanised" infantry group.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Originally posted by Groundhog View Post
            In lebanon they used to be a Battalion Mobile Reserve of a troops strength, I think. They were mostly Cav because they had Panhard 90s.
            Beds Mean Rest

they also had a fair amount of artillery in them

I had the dubious pleasure to share Al Ya Gloom with them

talk about a whinging moaning lazy shower of bed wetters :wink: :wink:
            Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
            Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
            The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
            The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
            The best lack all conviction, while the worst
            Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

I was looking at the deployment list for Liberia, and at the names and appointments, a great number seemed to be Cavalry with a Recce Platoon with every 2 platoons. Thats a fairly substantial Cavalry deployment

Comment

Originally posted by hedgehog View Post
                Beds Mean Rest

they also had a fair amount of artillery in them

I had the dubious pleasure to share Al Ya Gloom with them

talk about a whinging moaning lazy shower of bed wetters :wink: :wink:
                Al Yatun. A place to be avoided like a plague pit.
                sigpic
                Say NO to violence against Women

My favourite moment was when the
                red headed old dear got a smack on her ginger head

Comment

Originally posted by Groundhog View Post
                  Al Yatun. A place to be avoided like a plague pit.
                  The geratest Irish Military poem ever

I am tired of all this piss and cock

get me of this ****king rock

dedicated to al ya glum
                  Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
                  Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
                  The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
                  The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
                  The best lack all conviction, while the worst
                  Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

Originally posted by lefty View Post
                    I was looking at the deployment list for Liberia, and at the names and appointments, a great number seemed to be Cavalry with a Recce Platoon with every 2 platoons. Thats a fairly substantial Cavalry deployment
                    Chad is the size of france, Mobility will be a huge factor. As will recce, which is the role of Cav.

Did anybody else see Willie O Dea bemoaning our european brothers for not Providing enough Helis and Transport Aircraft for Chad? Hint willie: BUY YOUR OWN!
                    We can't expect the others to do it for us all th etime. It was a bit rich coming from him I thought. Surprised it isn't mentioned elsewhere here.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

GF,

have to say I agree with you completely, it may have been "acceptable" when we were poor little Ireland but not so today.

IAS

Comment

Originally posted by lefty View Post
                        Just wondering if anyone here would have information regarding this, i know cav personnel can serve in an infantry capacity or as drivers overseas but how much cav actually get deployed in the purely cavalry role as in in afvs, is it 1 troop per company or how does it generally work.

Regards,
                        Lefty
                        If Chad goes ahead its proposed for a Cav troop with the new Mowags, probably four .5s and two 30mm.

Comment

Interesting,
                          6 Mowags should just about fit into an AN124. Cant see any other way of getting them there.

Comment

Latest Ive heard is that late Feb early March will be Chad deployment with 4 CRVs one being manned by each Sqn.

Comment

Working...
                            X