• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Happy Birthday Emer...

13 February 2008

Cork salutes Emer with 30th celebration

By Sean O’Riordan
    CORK’S city fathers yesterday saluted the 30th birthday of their adopted naval vessel, which has clocked up enough miles to get it to the moon and back.

The crew of the Lé Emer were accorded a civic reception by the lord mayor of Cork, Cllr Donal Counihan, last night to mark the birthday of the oldest serving ship in the fleet. Mr Counihan also presented the crew with a Cork Crystal vase.

Among those attending was Eugene Ryan, commander of fleet operators, one of the first onboard the 65m-long ship when she went into service in 1978. He was a navigator then and has great memories of the vessel, which made the front page of the New York Times in 1984, following her capture of the IRA gun-running trawler Marita Anne.

“The Emer was a beautiful vessel at sea and she still is. We went around the country showing her off. My memories serving on board her are some of the happiest I have,” he said.

Back then, there were no women in the navy, but today the navigation officer onboard is 28-year-old Niamh O’Donoghue. The Lé Emer was, coincidentally, also her first posting.

“I just love it. It’s a ship of great character. You’ll always meet people who have stories to tell about it,” she said.

The ship was involved in the search for bodies after the Air India bombing in 1985 in which 329 people lost their lives.

Seven years before she was the first Irish ship to arrive in Lebanon, where she resupplied UN troops working there during that county’s civil war.

She has travelled more than 500,000 nautical miles (926,000km), boarded more than 3,000 fishing vessels made 173 detentions and raised €3.6 million in fines.

In addition, Lé Emer’s seizure of a Spanish vessel illegally fishing in Irish waters in 1983 led to a record fine of £470,000.

In a ceremony on board yesterday, Lt Comdr Owen Mulowney took over captaincy of the ship from Lt Comdr Darragh Kirwan. He may well be the ship’s last captain as the vessel is fast approaching its retirement.

Flag officer commanding the naval service, Commodore Frank Lynch — who once captained the Lé Emer — said: “I will be sorry to see her go when the time for her decommissioning arrives.”

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
    13 February 2008

Cork salutes Emer with 30th celebration

By Sean O’Riordan
    CORK’S city fathers yesterday saluted the 30th birthday of their adopted naval vessel, which has clocked up enough miles to get it to the moon and back.

The crew of the Lé Emer were accorded a civic reception by the lord mayor of Cork, Cllr Donal Counihan, last night to mark the birthday of the oldest serving ship in the fleet. Mr Counihan also presented the crew with a Cork Crystal vase.

Among those attending was Eugene Ryan, commander of fleet operators, one of the first onboard the 65m-long ship when she went into service in 1978. He was a navigator then and has great memories of the vessel, which made the front page of the New York Times in 1984, following her capture of the IRA gun-running trawler Marita Anne.

“The Emer was a beautiful vessel at sea and she still is. We went around the country showing her off. My memories serving on board her are some of the happiest I have,” he said.

Back then, there were no women in the navy, but today the navigation officer onboard is 28-year-old Niamh O’Donoghue. The Lé Emer was, coincidentally, also her first posting.

“I just love it. It’s a ship of great character. You’ll always meet people who have stories to tell about it,” she said.

The ship was involved in the search for bodies after the Air India bombing in 1985 in which 329 people lost their lives.

Seven years before she was the first Irish ship to arrive in Lebanon, where she resupplied UN troops working there during that county’s civil war.

She has travelled more than 500,000 nautical miles (926,000km), boarded more than 3,000 fishing vessels made 173 detentions and raised €3.6 million in fines.

In addition, Lé Emer’s seizure of a Spanish vessel illegally fishing in Irish waters in 1983 led to a record fine of £470,000.

In a ceremony on board yesterday, Lt Comdr Owen Mulowney took over captaincy of the ship from Lt Comdr Darragh Kirwan. He may well be the ship’s last captain as the vessel is fast approaching its retirement.

Flag officer commanding the naval service, Commodore Frank Lynch — who once captained the Lé Emer — said: “I will be sorry to see her go when the time for her decommissioning arrives.”

http://www.irishexaminer.com/irishex...094-qqqx=1.asp
    yes a great ship which many of us on this board sailed on for years
    it will be a pity to see her go

Comment

Testing the pumps on in the Med somewhere
      Attached Files
      Don't spit in my Bouillabaisse .

Comment

Originally posted by Laners View Post
        Testing the pumps on in the Med somewhere
        goood god it that g c

Comment

Course it is, there couldn't possibly two people on earth that look like that!
          Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Is that not the orginal Moggie "PO/TEL"H.,and not GC

Comment

One of the pics is a PO/ERA Called Dave Zebedee (no Joke)

Comment

Originally posted by blaisec View Post
                One of the pics is a PO/ERA Called Dave Zebedee (no Joke)
                zebedee never wanted to get his hair cut as he liked to look top notch for the birds.. a gas man i wonder has anyone any idea where he is now

Comment

That is indeed him .
                  Don't spit in my Bouillabaisse .

Comment

Yes that is Dave,he's being selling dodgy kebabs for a while now.Smithy the Brit was working with him for a while,from grease monkeys to kebabs kings.

Comment

Jesus I count 6 pumps on a bar less than six feet long..that has to be some sort of a world record.

I still reckon its GC although he does seem a little too clean to be the same.
                      Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

thats gc all right retired now and has got a job in naval dockyard,,

Comment

1: dave zebedee
                          2: G. C. no doubt what so ever
                          3: Laners himself

Six pumps , you would have needed sixty with that lot !
                          What do you mean abandon ship
                          Are they taking requests?

Comment

Po/era

I have posted a couple of pics from the Emer in the '80s in the community/albums section,
                            can anyone tell me how to start a new thread and add these pics.

Comment

Working...
                            X