a curiosity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• a curiosity

This is a bit of curiosity - a Saracen armoured car. It's South African (I think). Anyone know what the gun is?

Looks like a 90 gun
    What are you cackling at, fatty? Too much pie, that's your problem.

Comment

90mm DEFA?
      You will never have a quiet world until you knock the patriotism out of the human race

Comment

The Saracen Armoured Car was a British Design,

this looks like a hybrid, possibly with a 75mm - 90mm gun.

Connaught Stranger.

Comment

More views:

You will never have a quiet world until you knock the patriotism out of the human race

Comment

Australian? They definitly recycled turrets a lot.
            Meh.

Comment

Gun could be a dummy. Doesnt appear to be any mantlet. No Buffer . Could they be Bolts just hidden by the barrel of the 30 cal?

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

It looks like adummy turret wouldn't acommate the gun ..never mind a crew an ammunition
                Turret is so light the recoil would lift it clear of the hull.

Goldie knows about these 90 things more than most ...and having operated in a 90 turret..that just ain't a whole gun!
                Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Its a mockup. The gun appears to be fixed?

Thats the standard turret, if you look at a photo of a saracen with someone in it, theres barely room for them and the browing. Where do you propose the 90mm fits?

Normal armament for a saracen was browing 0.30s and bren guns. To the best of my knowledge they werent upgunned from this. Also look at the muzzle break, there is something just not right about it!
                  Last edited by Turncoat; 25 March 2008, 22:30.
                  Faugh A Ballagh

Comment

Muzzle brake is from the DEFA on the AML 90
                    Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Turret seems way too small for a 90mm.

Comment

Its the standard Saracen/Ferret turret, as fitted with 30 cal. Someone has bolted on a bit of pipe for effect.

Comment

The "turret", to my eyes at least, looks similar to the Ratel 90 turret. A prototype intended to deceive Angolans/Cubans to believe that they were facing more Ratels?

Comment

I compared with the Ratel, that's not it.

Goldie's nailed it. Look at the closeup of the mantlet, and look for the ability to elevate.

NTM
                            Driver, tracks, troops.... Drive and adjust!!

Comment

Originally posted by Fireplace View Post
                              The "turret", to my eyes at least, looks similar to the Ratel 90 turret. A prototype intended to deceive Angolans/Cubans to believe that they were facing more Ratels?
                              The Ratel Turret is a 2 man turret. it is identical in many ways to the Eland/Panhard turret. The Saracen/ferret turret shown there is a one man only "hatch". The ratel is a much larger(an in my opinion excellent) vehicle.

Ratel(from same site as earlier abomination)

Saracen(standard single man turret)

Comment

Working...
                              X