M-wmik

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• M-wmik

Britain's latest military vehicle, the M-WMIK (Mobility Weapons Mount Installation Kit), is a 4x4 all terrain patrol vehicle. Referred to as the 'Jackal' the wheeled vehicle has been described as an "all terrain pit-bull", and it offers significantly increased mobility, protection and agility over the Land Rover WMIKS it is replacing.

Capable of carrying combinations of .50 calibre (12.7mm) machine guns, Heckler & Koch 40mm grenade launchers and General Purpose Machine Guns, Jackal's agility, range and awesome firepower will offer front line commanders greater flexibility in the conduct of ground operations.

Thoughts???

Based on the Pinzgauer? Looks to have a better CofG than the Landrover WMIK. However I fear the MoD will try to pass it off as a replacement for the Snatch Landies, as the LTV production gets further delayed.
    Just wait till it appears in the Tabloids, being described as an Armoured Vehicle. Looks like todays version of the Bren Gun Carrier really.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
      Based on the Pinzgauer? Looks to have a better CofG than the Landrover WMIK. However I fear the MoD will try to pass it off as a replacement for the Snatch Landies, as the LTV production gets further delayed.
      Just wait till it appears in the Tabloids, being described as an Armoured Vehicle. Looks like todays version of the Bren Gun Carrier really.

I believe Bren gun carriers were tracked vehicles

A stack of them were scrapped in the Curragh in the 1990's.

Picture from:

Connaught Stranger
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Connaught Stranger; 26 April 2008, 13:37.

Comment

Then there was this variation of the Bren Gun Carrier:-

T16:

Engine: Ford V8 petrol, model GAU370, 239 cid, 100 bhp at 3,800 rpm.
        Gears: 4 forward, 1 reverse
        Speed: 33 [30] mph
        Length: 155 inches [12 feet 11 inches]
        Width: 83 inches [6 feet 11-1/2 inch]
        Height: 62 inches [5 feet 1 inch]
        Ground clearance: 10-1/2 inch
        Weight: 7,756 lbs (gross 9,500 lbs [10,500 lbs with a 1,200 lbs load])
        Ground contact length: 71 inches
        Ground pressure: 7.4 lb/sq in
        Armour: 6 to 7 mm
        Tracks: T79, 10 inch wide, 1-3/4 inch pitch
        Climb: 18 inch high vertical wall; 60% grade
        Cross: 30 inch ditch
        Turning radius: 32 foot
        Fuel capacity: 23.6 gal
        Range: up to 150 miles.

Pictured in use with the Canadians.

Connaught Stranger
        Attached Files

Comment

OK, but what I'm saying is the WMIK serves the same purpose as the Carrier.

Comment

The driver is very exposed to a land mine blast.
            You will never have a quiet world until you knock the patriotism out of the human race

Comment

Originally posted by Fireplace View Post
              The driver is very exposed to a land mine blast.
              The M-WMIK has been constructed with full armour plating including the area around the driver and front passenger.

They are currenty been used out in Afghanistan by 16 Air Assault Brigade. There have been no reports yet of any incidents with the Jackal and landmines.

Comment

Dont drive on the roads and you are very unlikely to get blown up, they cant place IEDs everywhere.
                When I breeze into that city, people gonna stoop and bow.
                All them women gonna make me, teach 'em what they don't know how

Comment

Originally posted by ex pat 007 View Post
                  Dont drive on the roads and you are very unlikely to get blown up, they cant place IEDs everywhere.
                  However they could know thats what you think, and chose to put them along wadis you have to cross to get from A to B.

Comment

It is based on the Supacat 6x6.

It gives the same valued abilities as a WMIK but with mine protection and some extra torque.

All win, once again people here seem to be looking for some abstract supervehicle which will be all things to all men.
                    "It is a general popular error to imagine that loudest complainers for the public to be the most anxious for it's welfare" Edmund Burke

Comment

Hovertanks!!

Comment

Originally posted by Come-quickly View Post
                        It is based on the Supacat 6x6.

It gives the same valued abilities as a WMIK but with mine protection and some extra torque.

All win, once again people here seem to be looking for some abstract supervehicle which will be all things to all men.
                        Or something in which the wobbly bits don't hang over the front axle.
                        You will never have a quiet world until you knock the patriotism out of the human race

Comment

Based on Timoney HMT?

Comment

Originally posted by pmtts View Post
                            They are currenty been used out in Afghanistan by 16 Air Assault Brigade. There have been no reports yet of any incidents with the Jackal and landmines.

Its a very good bit of kit by all accounts Ive seen it around Britannia lines out in the stan 2 Para and 1 Royal Irish have it.

Comment

Originally posted by Fireplace View Post
                              Or something in which the wobbly bits don't hang over the front axle.
                              The vehicle's performance has and will speak for itself, it is based on proven tech and is popular with its users.
                              "It is a general popular error to imagine that loudest complainers for the public to be the most anxious for it's welfare" Edmund Burke

Comment

Working...
                              X