Hydration packs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hydration packs

Hi folks, I've been using hydration packs for years, usually Platypus but also CamelBak, mainly for mountain-biking and snow-boarding so they get a lot of punishment. I'm looking for a new one and was thinking about a Source pack. From what I've seen they seem to be more robust than others, is this the case or would the 'military' CamelBaks be up to the job?

Previously my Playpus bladders have failed (after long term use) due to the seams cracking and leaking. I got a CamelBak as a present and the rubbery material meant the bladder could take a lot more punishment from impacts. However, it suffered a puncture which I'm certain the Platypus would have withstood....any suggestions on which would be the best to get?
    "Attack your attic with a Steyr....as seen on the Late Late Show..."

Originally posted by concussion View Post
    Hi folks, I've been using hydration packs for years, usually Platypus but also CamelBak, mainly for mountain-biking and snow-boarding so they get a lot of punishment. I'm looking for a new one and was thinking about a Source pack. From what I've seen they seem to be more robust than others, is this the case or would the 'military' CamelBaks be up to the job?

Previously my Playpus bladders have failed (after long term use) due to the seams cracking and leaking. I got a CamelBak as a present and the rubbery material meant the bladder could take a lot more punishment from impacts. However, it suffered a puncture which I'm certain the Platypus would have withstood....any suggestions on which would be the best to get?
    I have used a source 3L pack for about 2 years now and I've no complaints with it. Its pretty robust and suits my need with tactics and other arseing about up mountains and the like.
    Lifes a bitch, so be her pimp!

Comment

the source one i got from the store on this site has taken i lot of punishment and has never let me down .
      Anyone need a spleen ?

Comment

I'm probably going to support the store and buy one of the ones here:

I'm just wondering. I would like to attach it to the back harness on my webbing but still be able to wear at least a 20 litre daysack, has anyone got any suggestions of what to get for this and how to go about doing it?
        courage, endurance, mateship and sacrifice

Comment

Not a good idea to wear the daysack over the hydration pack as you are pressing a fair bit of weight against it.this could cause problems with seals etc.Much better putting the hydration pack down into the daysack along closest your spine.Other ways of carrying would be to stuff it under the lid.Or if you can attach it to the side or into a side pocket.
          Camelbak are way better than source in terms of flexiblity.Bite valve is more ergonomic.Shut off is easier to use too.dont like the little bits of string source use to attach the lids/valve covers.However source packs are easier to clean.I have used a source pack i bought hear and a 3l camelbak i bought in Kosovo.Have to say the camelbak won out.
          While we are on the subject i tried out my new issue camelbak(2.1 ltr omega reservoir) on the terrain walk recently.Not impressed.Fill cap is waaay to big.Hard to fill all the way as the water keeps escaping.Not so with the normal size fill cap on my private purchase one.Still shouldnt whinge as it is better than what we had before!!
          "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

Thanks for the info lads. Seeing as I have both Platypus (by far my favourite in terms of flow rate and shut off) and CamelBak bite valves from my old packs its going to come down to the bladder itself. I agree with you about the large fill cap apod, its a pain in the ar$e. I much prefer the Playtpus system of having the tube going through the cap which is located in the corner of the bladder...you can rotate the elbow of the tube to enable you to squash the pack into utility pouches and not worry about blocking the flow. However due to several of them cracking on me I'm not going back to them.

As for cleaning, I've never had to do more than flush them through a few times with boiling water immediately after use, paying particular attention to the bite valve.
            "Attack your attic with a Steyr....as seen on the Late Late Show..."

Comment

Ha ha. BAck in the day when Oxygen was Witness, I used to use a 1 litre platypus to smuggle drink in.

Poured a bottle of JD into it and used the cap off the bottle on the platypus. PErfect fit!!

Shove down front of trousers and put tube into pocket. When inside the gig, put tube back on and ran it me leg. Every time me and my mate wanted a refill, It would lokk like I was tying my shoes!!! Ah the fun!
              "The Question is not: how far you will take this? The Question is do you possess the constitution to go as far as is needed?"

Comment

Originally posted by ZULU View Post
                Ha ha. BAck in the day when Oxygen was Witness, !
                Thats when you know you are getting old
                Lifes a bitch, so be her pimp!

Comment

Originally posted by womble View Post
                  I'm probably going to support the store and buy one of the ones here:

I'm just wondering. I would like to attach it to the back harness on my webbing but still be able to wear at least a 20 litre daysack, has anyone got any suggestions of what to get for this and how to go about doing it?
                  80 YOYO's FOR A F**kING WATER CARRIER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ARE YOU F**KING MENTAL????????
                  Woo Hoo, finally moderated!!!!! In that select band of people who speak their mind instead of being sheep!

Comment

Originally posted by spudula View Post
                    80 YOYO's FOR A F**kING WATER CARRIER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ARE YOU F**KING MENTAL????????
                    I thought you new I was!!!!
                    anyway, it's similar to why you wear goggles and kneepads for FIBUA

Comment

Originally posted by womble View Post
                      I thought you new I was!!!!
                      anyway, it's similar to why you wear goggles and kneepads for FIBUA
                      Excuse me, I DO NOT WEAR KNEE PADS!!! Kneepads are like maxi pads, only biathces wear them!!

But back to the water bottle thingy's, surely you can get a cheaper one somewhere...............
                      Woo Hoo, finally moderated!!!!! In that select band of people who speak their mind instead of being sheep!

Comment

Why not just buy a platypus and stick it in a rocket pack????

Comment

Womble I'm with ya on this one! I have a lovely gucci source in a DPM thing... Only one problem with it... It's too long for my back
                          Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.
                          Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.
                          Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?
                          Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?

Comment

Originally posted by spudula View Post
                            Why not just buy a platypus and stick it in a rocket pack????
                            I'm now thinking of doing something like that, the only problem is I have gone through two platypus type things that have been in a pouch on my webbing, every time the mouth bit has come off

Comment

Originally posted by johnny no stars View Post
                              Womble I'm with ya on this one! I have a lovely gucci source in a DPM thing... Only one problem with it... It's too long for my back
                              It'll fit me, I'll take it, how much?

Comment

Working...
                              X