Ex-military in the RDF

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ex-military in the RDF

Just wondering if there are many ex-military serving in the RDF, and if there is what are their standards like, are they adding anything positive to the RDF or are they just in it for the "social aspect" of it

Surely you can't consider someone being 'ex-military' when they're a member of the Reserves. They're 'ex-military' when they resign.

I think you're asking if there are any members with previous military experience ??
    Beart do reir ar mbriathar

Comment

I agree klick ,you would think that spanky thinks there GODS,not so there no better than the guy's in the RDF who joined as committed Volunteers not in it for the money.
      :flagwave: :flagwave: :flagwave: :flagwave: :flagwave: :flagwave:

Comment

Spanky: you really didn't start this one on a good note!!!!

In relation to your question the ex 'military' personnel in an RDF unit (which mustn't be military in your eyes) do tend, in my opinion, to contribute possitively to the unit on the whole.
        I don't believe in love - just friendship + sex

Comment

Ex. PDF or BA or FCA… Anyone with a wealth of military experience can only be of benefit to a unit.

It’s when ex. professional’s strut around acting like primadonna's then it’s when situations arise where they can be more a hindrance than a help.

Comment

They are good for the most part ...otherwise its
            "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

Jaysus girls, did I touch a sore spot? I think somebody feels threatened!, it's been my experience that of the few "ex-military" who do join most of them only do so for the social aspect and tend not to stay to long either, now of course there are those who do bring a good deal of knowledge and experience with them, and they do tend benefit the unit, but I am afraid to say most of them do seem to go around trying to look like John bloody Wayne! - (Klick, GOC 132, here's a hint, don't feel so threatened by these guy's they probably left the DF because they couldnt handle the pressure of doing a 24 hr duty twice a month, and didnt like being shouted at!) :D

Comment

I have to say my dad retired from the PDF but after a few months started to miss the army life, only to be expected after 20-odd years of service, so I talked him into joining the FCA, with lots of "Me in the FCA what would my PDF friends think of me" comments. But...... after spending his first annual camp with us and watching us in action he changed him opinion completly and said that, from what he seen we were a very professional unit full of enthusiam.

If ex-Full-time soldiers want to join the ranks of the FCA I say let them in, for the most part their experience and skills help rase levels within the unit.

My only complaint is that FCA soldiers can sometimes feel a bit put out when ex-PDF come in and take appointments which they may have been working toward. Me, I don't mind too much my dad now calls me SIR when we're in uniform. :D

Comment

Whats your issue with people feeling they should be allowed call their military service military service?
                  With regards prior military experience, I've seen a few excellent soldiers mainly from the BA or (1) RM and a number from outside the western world who did national service or volunteered at home, theres always the guy who claimed to be a para instructor but neglected to mention that it was with the cadets and various other Librocop style fusterclucks but you see the same in every walk of life its got f-all to do with their military background...Walters who say stuff like "aha you're getting all offended cause your only sandbaggers and I opened this thread with an insult to you" and such.
                  "It is a general popular error to imagine that loudest complainers for the public to be the most anxious for it's welfare" Edmund Burke

Comment

Spanky, i think thats directed at you!!!!I don't see what the fuss is here,the question is put forward legitimately enough!!People seem to be taking offence at the wording which in my mind isn't.Ex - military would cover a broad spectrum - Irish DF , Her majesties forces,FFL, IDF in some cases have been in the DF so i don't see why reservists are confusing this with a condescending attitude which isn't there in the question:D
                    Live long and prosper!

Comment

Erwin: no fuss at all here, no condescending attitide towards reserves. No offence taken.

Simple question asked by Spanky which has been answered.

The point I picked up on was simply... you can't be ex-military until you resign from all military forces. That's all. Jasus!

Comment

Quite afew former serving in my unit including myself........brings a lot of expierience into the unit a nd also increases dress standards.Its not that we couldn't handle the PDF its merely when we left we wanted to continue our association with the DF inour own time and further participate in things like shooting teams.It also gives us a chance to meet with former friends who are still serving.
                        We don't go around all day with the attitude...'Well when I was .........' .If you act corectly the attitude is more likely to be ....well how was such and such handled by the PDf'
                        Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Wasn't referring to you at all klick,but i know the gripes will be there.For the matter i do think that ex-ers can have a positive bearing on reserve units if the individuals themselves are up to it & not just full of wind & piss( the ex-ers i mean !!).Lets face it i know of a couple of tossers who discharged & joined the FCA & were complete Walter Mitties & more than likely still are :D
                          Live long and prosper!

Comment

Working...
                          X