PDA

View Full Version : Military vehicles

hptmurphy
10th August 2008, 02:22
http://picasaweb.google.com/trpsarge/ArmyVehicles02

I put to get some photos for aguy who is doing a book in the staes on Irish Military vehicles and thought some here would like a look.

California Tanker
10th August 2008, 03:32
Nice collection.

I did pick up a pretty decent book on Irish vehicles throughout the last 80 years or so last time I was in Dublin. Big hardback thing, lots of pics. Found it quite good.

NTM

hptmurphy
10th August 2008, 12:39
Is that Karl Martins book on the Irish Armies Vehicles.?.if so its the definitive book of Irish army vehicles awlthough given the amount of change since it being published in 2002 it requires some updating and I would hope this to the case in the future.

California Tanker
10th August 2008, 14:56
Can't recall offhand, it's back in California. I'm sure if he's got any sense, he'll publish an updated revision for more money!

NTM

Truck Driver
10th August 2008, 16:34
Can't recall offhand, it's back in California. I'm sure if he's got any sense, he'll publish an updated revision for more money!

NTM

C-T, on a slight tangent......
It's been approximately 20 years since the last Defence Forces Handbook.

And with the changes in the DF since then, including:

- Issue of Steyr AUG to FCA/RDF
- Recruitment of female personnel to FCA/RDF
- More overseas missions for the DF than you can shake a stick at since then
- Something like a half dozen appointments to Chief of Staff since
- Advent of PDFORRA,RACO, RDFRA
- Issue of DPM uniform to the DF
- Numerous new bits of kit and vehicles introduced

- the time is right for the An Cosantóir staff to do another one. Would be a popular stocking
filler for Xmas this year.

Apod, give your mate on the staff a gentle nudge, wink.... :smile: :wink:

Goldie fish
10th August 2008, 19:47
C-T, on a slight tangent......
It's been approximately 20 years since the last Defence Forces Handbook.

And with the changes in the DF since then, including:

- Issue of Steyr AUG to FCA/RDF
- Recruitment of female personnel to FCA/RDF
- More overseas missions for the DF than you can shake a stick at since then
- Something like a half appointments to Chief of Staff since
- Advent of PDFORRA,RACO, RDFRA
- Issue of DPM uniform to the DF
- Numerous new bits of kit and vehicles introduced

- the time is right for the An Cosantóir staff to do another one. Would be a popular stocking
filler for Xmas this year.

Apod, give your mate on the staff a gentle nudge, wink.... :smile: :wink:

That was a popular publication. EVERYTHING a prospective recruit/cadet/apprentice needed to know about the defence forces.
I'm sure you could fill a whole other thread (hint. MODS) on how much the Defence forces has changed since then. The Steyr was only newly introduced, as were the Kawasaki Motorbikes of 2 Cav for the (male) President. The Dauphin was also new, as was Eithne. The Timoney was still in service wih 1st Armoured Car Sqn, and inf Bns around the country were too familiar with the raspy engine note of the Panhard APC.
Land Rover was the 4x4 of choice, and mostly soft skin, with only an occasional FFR with a hard top. The Izzy helmet was also newly introduced, along with the "velcro" closed body armour, a step up from the Korean war vintage flak jackets, in their irish covers, that can still be found on ranges occasionally.
However the only weakness in the publication was the binding. I have mine wedged together with a large crocodile clip...If another is produced than Hard binding is the way, not soft bind gum fixing.

hptmurphy
10th August 2008, 20:03
Land Rover was the 4x4 of choice

with a few exceptions..there were Toyota landcruisers on offer also.,.we still had Bedford MJs, Leyland Terriers.

Acmats and MAN trucks were all the fashion.

We still had minesweepers..albeit tied up.

Its a bit like 'Reeling in the Years ' DF style

Goldie fish
10th August 2008, 20:14
Not to mention the duties on the Border..

paul g
11th August 2008, 00:58
I seem to remember that the last handbook announced the selection of the Steyr, the PDF were still using F.N.s when it was published.

Truck Driver
11th August 2008, 11:25
I seem to remember that the last handbook announced the selection of the Steyr, the PDF were still using F.N.s when it was published.

Yes, that would probably be correct.

The last DF handbook was published around the 1986-1988 timeframe.

A friend of mine has the one previous to it, circa 1983/84.

Was as jealous as fcuk, as it had all the DF unit flashes in it, PDF and FCA.

Anyway, An Cosantóir folks........ ????

Steo
11th August 2008, 12:09
What model dirt bike is that there using?

REX
11th August 2008, 15:24
I have a document which was part of the submission put together for the Tech pay review board. It has pictures and basic details of every type of vehicle we could find in service with the DF, as at June 2007. You will also find pictures of motorbikes, plant & load handling equipment at the bottom of the pages.

Does anyone have a way to upload the whole file, it is 13mb?

Truck Driver
11th August 2008, 15:36
I have a document which was part of the submission put together for the Tech pay review board. It has pictures and basic details of every type of vehicle we could find in service with the DF, as at June 2007. You will also find pictures of motorbikes, plant & load handling equipment at the bottom of the pages.

Well, even if you zip the file, it's likely the zipped file will still exceed the size limit for upload
to the board.... maybe one of the other guys can suggest an alternative

REX
11th August 2008, 15:55
Well, even if you zip the file, it's likely the zipped file will still exceed the size limit for upload
to the board.... maybe one of the other guys can suggest an alternative

I'm glad you think I know how to zip a file, while in actual fact, all I can do is bash the keyboard until the letters on screen look something like what I want to say:biggrin:

Truck Driver
11th August 2008, 16:25
I'm glad you think I know how to zip a file, while in actual
fact, all I can do is bash the keyboard until the letters on screen look something
like what I want to say:biggrin:

How to Zip a file:

- Firstly, your computer must have WinZip installed - nearly all Windows based PCs do.
- Save your file to your own computer drive somewhere - say the C:/ drive
- Right click on the file
- About half way down the list of options, you will see the option "Win Zip"
- Select this, and then the option listed "Add to MYFILE.zip" (where MYFILE is the name of your file)
- WinZip creates a MYFILE.zip file, which is basically a compressed version of your original file,
placing it in the same location as the original file.
- Have fun !!!!

The real Jack
11th August 2008, 18:58

Zip that bitch up and then upload it to www.mediafire.com (http://www.mediafire.com).

Copy and paste the dowload link here and everyone can easly download it.

Victor
12th August 2008, 14:15
www.localhostr.com

I think files up to 50MB.

REX
12th August 2008, 20:59
Great advice guys but winzip is still leaving the file much too big and localhostr.com wants me to pay, and that aint happening so if anyone is in mullingar call down to the workshops and i'll give it to you on your usb pen, maybe you'll have better luck uploading it
:confused:

luchi
13th August 2008, 09:42
Rex do you have gmail?
Can you put the doc on a disk or maybe you already have it on disk?

REX
13th August 2008, 19:53
Rex do you have gmail?
Can you put the doc on a disk or maybe you already have it on disk?

I can send it to you on e-mail no problem, just send me your address in a PM.

luchi
15th August 2008, 10:50
If you want to see Rex's pics go to.
http://gallery.irishmilitaryonline.com/main.php?g2_itemId=1314&g2_page=18
This is half of them when I get time I will do the other half.
The pics come with complete tech description of each vehicle. I sugest that those that want the complete doc should contact Rex.

The real Jack
15th August 2008, 10:57
Thanks for the pics rex and luichi, What is the renault espace('s?) for?

luchi
15th August 2008, 16:28
The rest of the pics are their now.

The espace..................good question...........I had one once to drive a group of officers about.

There are a few vehicles missing. There are a couple of other coaches and the midi-coach. Also there is a land cruiser used for funerals.
There are some pics of the 8x4 and 6x6 scanias in the gallery.
but I must say that that must be the most comprehensive list of vehicles I have seen.

trellheim
15th August 2008, 16:38
isn't there a freezer wagon as well, I'm sure I had one in a convoy once ?

luchi
15th August 2008, 16:43
isn't there a freezer wagon as well, I'm sure I had one in a convoy once ?
You are correct. Transit connect with insullation / Hygenic compartment and refridgeration unit but I don't have pics of this or other "missing" vehicles.

REX
15th August 2008, 17:12
If you want to see Rex's pics go to.
http://gallery.irishmilitaryonline.com/main.php?g2_itemId=1314&g2_page=18
This is half of them when I get time I will do the other half.

Thanks luchi you're making me look good!:wink:

hptmurphy
15th August 2008, 17:49
Fantastic collection, probably the most comprehensive photographic record of DF vehicles ever.

Great stuff guys.

yellow oscar
15th August 2008, 19:54
Some of the vehicles in the photos will be at the SALUTE show .Check out www.salute.ie

REX
15th August 2008, 23:58
Fantastic collection, probably the most comprehensive photographic record of DF vehicles ever.

Great stuff guys.

I've got to give credit to Mick Murray, recently promoted after completing the CFR course. He was the driving force behind the HGV MT submission, and the one who collected the photos from around the country. Delighted to see that he's being kept in the main workshops after promotion, it would have been a great loss if he didn't stay in the corp

California Tanker
19th August 2008, 16:46
Where did/do they get the spare parts for the Jimmy?

I think I saw one in Civil Defence colours as well, last time I was in Dublin.

NTM

REX
20th August 2008, 20:29
Where did/do they get the spare parts for the Jimmy?

I think I saw one in Civil Defence colours as well, last time I was in Dublin.

NTM

JIMMY??

hptmurphy
20th August 2008, 20:33
GMC fire tender,

The local authourity in South tipp had one also and have seen one in Civil Defence colours also.

Problem was/is they had good off road capability until they overloaded them with firefighting gear, very limited water capacity and as a result are a very poor fire tender.

The concept was an RIV ( rapid intervention vehicle) but by the time all the kit got loaded on they weren't so rapid anymore.