7.62 mm Versus 5.56 mm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 7.62 mm Versus 5.56 mm

Does NATO Really Need Two Standard Rifle Calibers...An interesting read...What does anyone think?

Does anyone know if the 7.62 has been modified since this report was written?

Comment

This debate has been going on since the introduction of 5.56. Effectively the 5.56 has won the battle (I suppose it is similar to Betamax v's VHS, and did the better system win there?)

Comment

Bravo20.. you're showing your age discussing Betamax v's VHS!

I think the battle was won with the volume of 5.56 rounds a NATO soldier could carry over the heavier 7.62 round.
        Beart do reir ar mbriathar

Comment

I know I just wanted to see some of the confused reactions from some of the younger contributers

Comment

NATO now has only one standard round,not two, and its 5.56. i could be wrong but i dont think a new assault rifle in the 7.62 caliber has been developed since the G3\FAL\M14 era.

Comment

Big bangs

While eveybody else is going 5.56mm in rifles and LMGs (minimis etc) the Yanks have actually introduced a new 7.62mm weapon in recent years, the M240 (know to the rest of the world as the FN MAG) to give them extra firepower at platoon level.

Comment

Beta was better quality
                "It is a general popular error to imagine that loudest complainers for the public to be the most anxious for it's welfare" Edmund Burke

Comment

That's my point

Comment

I think you could safely classify the M240 as a support weapon at this stage just a very mobile one.
                    "It is a general popular error to imagine that loudest complainers for the public to be the most anxious for it's welfare" Edmund Burke

Comment

this topic gets flogged to death at least once ayear.What ****ing difference does it make? 99.9% of contributers will only ever fire at a paper target anyway and most of them will have difficulty in even hitting that. The issue is purely academical in so far as if they do get to fire operational and hang around to discuss the pros and cons it will not matter because you will be dead..........regardless of the calibre!
                      Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

when you have a gun as accurate as the styer being fired by someone who knows how to handle it you shouldn't have a problem.

Comment

hptmurphy thats the point you mightnt be dead if shot by a 5.56.

Could some body please explain to the the other ways of caliberizing 5.56's and 7.62's?

Comment

Shnig, it isn't about the calibre used. If the target is hit in the right place, it goes down, if it's not, it won't even if you use an elephant gun.

Don't know what you mean by "caliberizing", can you clarify this a bit?

Comment

beta is still used in audio..the half inch tapes are the biz..

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Working...
                              X