Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When I was a recruit....

[
    QUOTE=hptmurphy;218031]you might think so but eons ago when I was a recruit we gave the first week without uniforms and even when we did get issued with kit' it could hardly be called a uniform unless you were a mechanic

Recruits both army and NS were sunbject to sevre clothing shortages and most wore overalls ' 24bs beret and in NS case a white web belt c/w buckles

these had to be creased and pressed like normal gear and it was only after 'final approval' we actually were issued proper working dress.

Marloy will back me up on all of this.
    [/QUOTE]

Oh Murpth you are falling into that old trap of"you young fellas don`t know how good you have it,in my day"
    of course in your day it was harder but you lot had a picnic compared to my day and I had it easier compared to any-one pre 1981.
    All I would like to add ,to anyone doing recruit training at the moment "enjoy every minute of it ,some of it will not seem like fun now but trust me in years to come you will look back at this time in your life and laugh "
    to all of you I offer my best wishes

P.S. remember it is not the uniform but the damn fine person inside it.

[Mod - Thread split]
    Last edited by johnny no stars; 15 September 2008, 21:03.
    What do you mean abandon ship
    Are they taking requests?

At the rate that recruit training is getting easier, 50 years ago one of the star tests must have been getting shot twice in the head and surviving.

Comment

I heard that up until a few years ago 1 of the star tests involved wrestling a bear with your hands tied behind your back.

Comment

Don't they tie up the bears hands these days??
        "Attack your attic with a Steyr....as seen on the Late Late Show..."

Comment

Oh Murpth you are falling into that old trap of"you young fellas don`t know how good you have it
          No I've seen how gruelling it can be these days with a totally different mindset both from the instructors and the recruits so I know the pitfalls of that approach.

Was just pointing out that it is required to have a uniform and all the kit that is available today to be a recruit...as you said it wasn't the uniform but the person inside.

I agree however that is probably amongst the most vivid memories that will ever be had of the DF as after recruits it tends to fall into a routine.

Nobody could ever say the same of recruits as your day is dictated by how you and your group perform rather than any program.

Training programs for recruits are totally dependent oh how the group eprforms on a day to day basis.

Some things come easily while others are carved out in tears sweat and even blood.

The best advice being listen and learn from the instructors as it is your performance vs their standards that, at the end of the day , dictate the progress you make.
          Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Originally posted by damo de muff diver
            P.S. remember it is not the uniform but the damn fine person inside it.
            Well said, sir....
            "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

I have to be honest with you, I know nothing about the way recruit training is run today.
              What I do find sad even after all the years since I did it people still don`t have the kit they need and have to buy it themselves if they want it.
              I know in my day kit always seemed to be "Too big,Too small or it doesn`t fit you atall"
              and we may have looked like scruffy street urchins but we were "damn fine scruffy street urchins"

Comment

Originally posted by Goldie fish
                Jaysus lads, would one of ye learn to use fhe friggin quote tags, and teach the others while ye are at it?
                There is an opening for you
                You could run courses in it then the resession need never bother you

Comment

Originally posted by Goldie fish
                  Jaysus lads, would one of ye learn to use fhe friggin quote tags, and teach the others while ye are at it?
                  could this be said in a more gentle way most of us are retired and fragile

Comment

I think the fact that you both managed to do it right this time shows the old methods of hurling abuse still work as a method of instruction.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
                      I think the fact that you both managed to do it right this time shows the old methods of hurling abuse still work as a method of instruction.
                      What did I do right ?
                      First time in years and I missed it

Comment

Originally posted by damo de muff diver View Post
                        What did I do right ?
                        First time in years and I missed it
                        :confused: i dont know what i done right either.... jesus where is the half day pass book

Comment

Originally posted by golden rivet View Post
                          :confused: i dont know what i done right either.... jesus where is the half day pass book
                          Never mind the half day pass,I need a long weekend and a lie-down. :confused:

Comment

Originally posted by damo de muff diver View Post
                            Never mind the half day pass,I need a long weekend and a lie-down. :confused:
                            I would like to see the young people of today setting up the carbon paper for a three page letter and a gale blowing outside... no ctrl alt delete them times...

Comment

Not to mention having to bang two rocks together to light your ciggie.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Working...
                              X