Update the armour?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Update the armour?

Wouldn't some more modern light tanks be useful to the Army? Something along the lines of a light tank like this one from Sweden, the Ikv-91 or otherwise known as Infanterikanonvagn 91 ......see link:

The IKV-91 light tank entered service with the Swedish Army in 1974. A total of 200 vehicles were built. Vehicle is fully amphibious and is propelled on water by spinning it's tracks.

Some of those could replace the aging Scorpions and AML-90's, no?
    A dozen or two would be great. They're light, fast, pack a fair punch for the tag. They look like they would be a bit more lethal. Less of a silhouette for someone to fire at too, eh? 2.36m tall! The lack of gyrostabilization is a letdown though...
    Solution for an idiot: frontline infantry.

Update the armour with a tank that ceased production in 1978. Interesting concept.

Comment

Perhaps its time too look for the return of the .303 as well, the model with the 18" bayonets,
      sure to scare the opposition the sight of all that naked aggressive steel!!

Comment

I have it on good authority that the DF is currently considering replacing the Scorpion with this example from the French. It has already proved its value for them in combat...

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Thompson's of Carlow will start churning them out! There won't be a manhole cover or steam boiler left safe(to supply the appropriate steel)......still, the French habit of using the commander as the gunner lives on in the AML, so maybe using a Renault FT isn't that bad an idea.They probably still make bits for it....
          The Scorpions will be replaced by something cheap, obsolete, cheap, lethal to scarcely-armed native wallahs, cheap,made out of existing car parts, cheap,equipped with an obsolete calibre gun, cheap, not a threat to any known tank, cheap.....so, could Thompson's put the Landsverk back into production, d'ye think?
          regards(in jest)
          GttC

Comment

Originally posted by GoneToTheCanner View Post
            The Scorpions will be replaced by something cheap, obsolete, cheap, lethal to scarcely-armed native wallahs, cheap,made out of existing car parts, cheap,equipped with an obsolete calibre gun, cheap, not a threat to any known tank, cheap.....so, could Thompson's put the Landsverk back into production, d'ye think?
            regards(in jest)
            GttC
            . . . . . . starting with Third place,

and in Second place,

and the winner is:-

the rusty Japanese bucket, only one previous owner and low mileage!!

Connaught Stranger
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Connaught Stranger; 1 October 2008, 11:52.

Comment

Oh God..another American expert on the Irish Army.........................
              Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Not only has the IKV-91 being out of production since 1978, it has also been retired from service with Sweden, and have gone to the scrap heap with a few preserved.
                Last edited by paul g; 1 October 2008, 00:57.

Comment

Originally posted by Whippet View Post
                  They look like they would be a bit more lethal.
                  Gotta love that quote.

Well done to the mod who let this first post stand!!

Comment

Originally posted by Jetjock View Post
                    Update the armour with a tank that ceased production in 1978. Interesting concept.
                    Well, I never tried to be an expert on the Irish Army, and I will admit, I was pressed for time when I wrote that post and didn't have my copy of Janes' about - therefore the Ikv was the only thing I could remember. I only made a suggestion that was flawed I admit, but I only intended to make some form of decent impression upon you all.

Besides, wasn't the first prototypes for the Alvis Scorpion Recon Vehicle put out in 1969, and the AML 90 in '75? I don't see much threat from those either.... What are you going to do if you have to use those antiques? Ram them and hope to cause an explosion that might blow off an enemy track? My example for replacement might not have been the greatest, but I think that the fact still stands that the current vehicles need to be replaced.

For the record, my grandfather was in the Irish military and so was his father. I'm not just some random know-it-all American. I truly have an interest in the Irish military. I have unbelievable amounts of matierial have collected and pored through over and over, an entire bookshelf of books and DVD's and photographs, and I have all of the White Papers on Defence for the last decade, etc. etc. Flatly put,

Sorry I made such a bad entrance guys. Apologies.

Whippet
                    Solution for an idiot: frontline infantry.

Comment

the French habit of using the commander as the gunner lives on in the AML
                      two seperate entities... commander and gunner...one sits on the right the other on the left.
                      Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

So, do they toss a coin to see who loads, then? No, it's your turn...no, it's yours....
                        regards
                        GttC

Comment

No you ginnet ..one makes the tea and warms the breakfast rolls while the other does all the work.... did they teach you anything in the Don

**** sake thats why there is a three man crew... Driver to get you to the filling station, one turret sitter to aquire vittles while the third turret sitter fights off the' phatasians.'.. boy has the army changed since your day !

Its is not the same in the Mowag as the have a breakfast roll heating thing fitted as standard..and a teasmaid... jesus you know nothing about 'tanks'

Comment

If (and it's a big un) they were going to get a light tracked heavily armed vehicle....my monies on the CV-90120

Dr. Venture: Why is it every time I need to get somewhere, we get waylaid by jackassery?

Dr. Venture: Dean, you smell like a whore

Comment

Silly me for thinking that the party-hats might be doing anything other than posing or scoffing! you probably boil water off the engine for tea, do you?
                              regards
                              GttC
                              PS: no tank will ever be bought for the DF unless it has a "footprint" less than that of a horse.Wouldn't do to scratch the precious Curragh, would it, now?

Comment

Working...
                              X