Irish VC's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Irish VC's

1354 VC's have been awarded to date. 190 to Irish men. this is remarkable record and is something to ve very proud of.
    However one Irishman, Sgt Major Cornelius Coughlan VC has lain in an unmarked grave near Westport, Co. Mayo since 1916.

This Irishman won his VC in 1857 during the Indian Mutiny by saving a comrade soldier under fire and by on another accasion, showing outstanding leadership during a fire fight. he was in the 75th Regiment which became the Gordon Highlanders and is now the Highland Regiment. He also served for many years also in the Connaught Rangers.
    A Galwayman from Eyrescourt, he lived for 40 years in Westport until his death at the age of 89.

I have had the grave identified and am arranging a suitable headstone.
    The ground work has commenced and the dedicatoin wil take place in 12 months.

The project will cost €1200 and I am asking that anybody with an interest in seeing this project through to make a donation, no matter what size.
    An account has been opened in Westport Credit Union,
    Coughlan VC A/c No. 13201 ID,
    Bridge St.,
    Westport.

Or to Military Heritage Tours Ltd
    "Woodfield"
    Derryhick
    Castlebar,
    Co,Mayo

That was a nice thing to do I shall donate to your fund!

Perhaps if you contact the war graves commission they may also give you a donation, well anyhow perhaps you would post a pic of the grave and headstone after it is erected?

Comment

Many thanks. I am contacting everyone who may have an interest. Further info may be seen if you go to www.chapter-one.com. mike Chapman's superb site on VC's
      I will of course publish photos.

Comment

Working...
      X