PDA

View Full Version : Woman makes Irish naval history

Farel'
22nd November 2003, 07:12
I noticed in a recent "connect" that Sub LtRoberta O Brien,who was Nav Officer during the L.E. Niamhs high profile trip to China,has been promoted to Lt(ns). I believe she is the second female officer to reach this rank,which coincedentally is the rank usually held by a Ships XO. I can only assume that these ladies will hold that position aboard some vessel very soon, drawing us one day closer to the day when a woman will Command an Irish Naval Vessel.
And the best of luck to them.

hptmurphy
25th November 2003, 16:38
How about an all female ship....interesting concept....!

what are the roles that the females usually opt for in the NS...Is there atrend towards any certain role....are women selected for any particular roles above others...........

Any answers would be appreciated.

Bravo20
25th November 2003, 17:19
Orla and Roberta were both promoted at the same time, they were both the first female naval officers commissioned. I think if you follow along their cadet class you will see their army equivalents being promoted to Captain.

Anyway congratulations to both.

Sluggie
25th November 2003, 18:30
When the first female ratings passed out it was assumed by some that they would mostly become writers or tels. However they almost all became seamen, some were excellent and some were not as well regarded. I suppose the same could be said for a bunch of male O/S's.

I have come across Seamen, tels and mechs. There may be cooks, driversand log.ops but I haven't seen them yet. If they are gone into the trades they may be away doing apprenticeships.

There is only one L/S in the NS after some trasfers to the army. the senior rates mess of a ship remains the last all male bastion in the entire DF. It would remain so for a long time although the NSR will probably see a female PO in the medium term.

Goldie fish
25th November 2003, 19:48
Are you suggesting they wear none?
I imagine a modification to the Female naval officers uniform would be the case,when this occurs. Its only a matter of time, I imagine..
Then again,The RDF/FCA which has had female participation for longer,has not many female senior NCOs either. I have yet to see a female Q or cs..

Sluggie
26th November 2003, 00:39
Ah! but we're not discussing female senior NCO's, just female senior ratings.

Goldie fish
26th November 2003, 18:20
Originally posted by Sluggie
Ah! but we're not discussing female senior NCO's, just female senior ratings.

I know this,but the difference is only one rank, and in the case of the NS/NSR, a diferent uniform...

Remember most of the users here wear DPM,not blue,and have no idea what a senior rate,or junior rate is..

sparks
26th November 2003, 19:03
some of us DPM heads do understand the rates, it means nice cosy mess on board for all above leading seaman 2 strips to those in DPM.
, I believe there is a female CQ in the galway / Anthery area.

Goldie fish
27th November 2003, 04:46
http://www.military.ie/images/Ensign%20Female.jpg
Consider this with one button less(senior rates have 3 rows,officers 4)with appropriate cap badge and rank insignia. The question is WHEN!:rolleyes:

Goldie fish
28th February 2004, 04:37
As a side note,I met Lt O Brien in the local petrol station last week. Told her about the site....

hptmurphy
1st March 2004, 12:10
why did you delete my post?

Bravo20
3rd March 2004, 12:20
I heard that there is now a female PO in the NSR, so they must have sorted the uniform issue out.

Vice Admiral
3rd March 2004, 13:25
I heard horror tales about a cadets cap and a skirt,
a kind of
'lets see what's in the back of the stores' affair, God help her.

Goldie fish
3rd March 2004, 13:38
Seeing as she is the first Female PO in the entire NS(ever),she has set an interesting task for Clothing Services...

hptmurphy
3rd March 2004, 20:55
At least her gear will fit when she gets it !:mad:

Goldie fish
20th April 2008, 00:37
I heard today the Above Named Person(Lt O'Brien) will shortly be Promoted to Lt Cdr and will take command of one of the OPVs.

golden rivet
20th April 2008, 22:16
I heard today the Above Named Person(Lt O'Brien) will shortly be Promoted to Lt Cdr and will take command of one of the OPVs.

roberta comes from a naval background and should make a good captain as she was a very switched on cadet and had a nice personality.. first person up on orders in front of her might not feel the same way,,

A/TEL
21st April 2008, 00:55

There will be 3 female Lt Cdr's by january, possibly 4 depending on retirements.

Interesting times......:smile:

GoneToTheCanner
21st April 2008, 09:31
Lads, why is it such an issue? Next time you board an airliner with 174 punters on board (A320), check out the cabin crew.Mostly female.Chances are at least one of the cockpit crew are female.Often enough, the entire crew are female.In charge of many tons of fast-moving metal.Full of people who don't know a thing about aircraft and really don't care.Get over it,lads.
regards
GttC

golden rivet
21st April 2008, 14:49
Lads, why is it such an issue? Next time you board an airliner with 174 punters on board (A320), check out the cabin crew.Mostly female.Chances are at least one of the cockpit crew are female.Often enough, the entire crew are female.In charge of many tons of fast-moving metal.Full of people who don't know a thing about aircraft and really don't care.Get over it,lads.
regards
GttC AH we know that they are in them jobs for years but there is a major difference as it is a part of irish naval history to be CAPTAIN of an irish naval vessel and also the first female of the search and rescue helicopter had a documentary done on her so as you can see we are very EXCITED..we dont compare ourselves to civilians.. different type of discipline altogether..

techman1
21st April 2008, 15:26
when the Captain is a female does that mean the ship will be painted pink instead of grey and all those who serve on her will they be known as pinkys? ha ha

golden rivet
21st April 2008, 15:42
when the Captain is a female does that mean the ship will be painted pink instead of grey and all those who serve on her will they be known as pinkys? ha ha:tongue: nice one how long did you think about that one

easyrider
21st April 2008, 17:00
http://lh3.ggpht.com/lomaz2007/Rf_U-U5efhI/AAAAAAAAAI8/XmLSxa11I0A/15801095a589641449b479293850l.jpg?imgmax=400

A/TEL
21st April 2008, 20:21
regards
GttC

They have served their time like anyone else and deserve their promotions, simple as.

I would have no problem serving on a ship skippered by a female capt

Goldie fish
21st April 2008, 21:19
I think the notable point was there were those in the Naval service, and elsewhere, who said it would never happen. Indeed back when I was a deck cadet, the mere thought of a female aboard ship was enough to turn the hair white on many a master mariner. Indeed the first female Marine Engineer to train in Ireland begun training around the same time. The Civilian trade were quicker to accept women than the Naval service.
Remember its only been twelve years since the Females were accepted into the Naval service. There still is no female in the Senior Rates mess.

hptmurphy
30th April 2008, 22:29
Obviously they have made the grade and their mark and getting to ships captain rank is no mean feat as many have fallen along the way.

Congratulations to those who uphold these traditions that the NS have endeavoured to make their own.

The NS has changed and this is a sign of the times

only 20 odd years ago it was inconcievable that women would serve in the NS...they have changed that perception around.

Lets hope they have the ships to serve on in the future.

Goldie fish
19th October 2008, 00:04
http://forum.irishmilitaryonline.com/showpost.php?p=223118&postcount=1

pmtts
20th October 2008, 13:05
The first woman to command an Irish Naval Ship is to take up her post next month.

Lieutenant Commander Roberta O'Brien, who is in her early 30s, will command the LE Aisling, one of eight ships of the service's flotilla.

A native of County Tipperary, Lt Com O'Brien is currently serving at Irish naval headquarters at Haulbowline.

Her appointment comes four years after a woman was first given command of a ship in the Royal Navy.

Lieutenant Charlotte Atkinson assumed command of the HMS Brecon in 2004.

Lt Com O'Brien joined the naval service after leaving school and was one of two female cadets commissioned in 1997.

She served as navigator on a 25,000-mile voyage to Asia on the LE Niamh in 2002.

An Irish defence department plan to replace three of the naval service's eight ships, including the Aisling, has been put on hold.

A department spokesperson said the lifespan of the ships would have to be extended.

Goldie fish
20th October 2008, 18:19
Nothing has been put on hold. Lazy Journalism at its best. The process will be delayed as the stage payments will be dragged out over a slightly longer period, but nothing is on hold. This "department spokesman" crap is someone in the "news"paper reading something someone said here or in a pub..

Duffer
20th October 2008, 20:57
Congratulations to the individual concerned, is the naval glass ceiling smashed????

Truck Driver
20th October 2008, 21:39
Congratulations to the individual concerned, is the naval glass ceiling smashed????

You' d have to see if Lt Comdr O'Brien gets her 3rd full bar or even fourth, before being able
to answer that one.

Congrats....

Goldie fish
21st October 2008, 03:50
There was never a Naval Glass ceiling. She is the First female naval Cadet. She has moved up the ladder at the same speed as a male cadet who joined at the same time.

There is already a thread about this!!!!

http://forum.irishmilitaryonline.com/showthread.php?t=1972

donalMurph
23rd October 2008, 09:10
There was never a Naval Glass ceiling. She is the First female naval Cadet. She has moved up the ladder at the same speed as a male cadet who joined at the same time.

There is already a thread about this!!!!

http://forum.irishmilitaryonline.com/showthread.php?t=1972
What about the other male cadets who joined the same time?

Goldie fish
23rd October 2008, 19:10
What about them?

donalMurph
23rd October 2008, 19:28
was just curious cause the poster said it was "A" male cadet....just didn't know whether everybody who started together pretty much got promoted together...was just curious

Goldie fish
23rd October 2008, 22:55
This is the case. I was speaking hypothetically. I'm not even sure if there was male cadets in that class, or if there are if they still serve in the NS, or were they Engineering branch, in which case, they wouldnt get to command a ship.

Goldie fish
25th October 2008, 14:06
This is the case. I was speaking hypothetically. I'm not even sure if there was male cadets in that class, or if there are if they still serve in the NS, or were they Engineering branch, in which case, they wouldnt get to command a ship.

As I thought in that cadet class there were 2 Female cadets, both Executive branch, and one male cadet who was Engineering branch. His career path is different to that of Executive Branch, but he too will be promoted to Lt Cdr shortly, in line with fixed period Promotion.
The only difference between Male and Female officers in the NS is the shape of their cap. Otherwise, the job they do is exactly the same. However as mentioned earlier, its from here on that things get more competitive, as everyone wants the three full gold bars of commander, and the more scarce positions beyond that.

But that discussion is for a whole other thread.

marloy
26th October 2008, 19:19
I served with both female cadets on emer and they both worked as hard as anyone else on board and deserve promotion as much as any other person serving

Goldie fish
26th October 2008, 20:55
There is. She's NSR though.

Check the date of the post you quoted.

Goldie fish
26th October 2008, 21:06
Edit. I thought I posted that long ago. I was referring to the NS though. Not the NSR. The NSR don't spend their time lounging around messes.

Goldie fish
8th November 2008, 06:18
Did I see in one of the Papers that the Skipper of Roisin at the moment is also female? I remember hearing some time back that one of the ships was due to have a female relief skipper, but I assumed it wouldnt be happening until after the above took over L.E. Aisling.

derfel_ie
8th November 2008, 10:06
Did I see in one of the Papers that the Skipper of Roisin at the moment is also female?.

This mornings Independent says Orla Gallagher is Captain of LE Niamh.

Goldie fish
13th November 2008, 20:31
The Irish Examiner has an article today which tells that Lt Cdr O'Brien is to take over as O.C L.E Aisling following a Handover Ceremony in Galway tomorrow, which will be attended by the Naval Service second-in-command, Captain Jim Robinson DSM.(article is not online)

golden rivet
13th November 2008, 22:09
a big day for her but going off subject slightly all recruiting stopped in navy and will be reviewed in july..

Goldie fish
13th November 2008, 22:12
Same throughout the DF, and the public service, it seems. It'll be fine as long as nobody leaves in the meantime...

Duffer
14th November 2008, 18:46
How is Lt Cmr O Brien "the first female commander of a ship" when a female officer was in command of one of the ships involved in the recent drugs bust?

concussion
14th November 2008, 18:52
http://dynimg.rte.ie/0001db8910dr.jpg

First woman to command naval vessel

Irish naval history was made in Galway today when a female officer was appointed to command a ship for the first time.

Lieutenant Commander Roberta O'Brien from Co Tipperary took command of the LE Aisling at a ceremony in Galway, the city with which the ship is twinned.

31-year-old Lt Cdr O'Brien is from the Glen of Aherlow, Co Tipperary, but has strong family connections to the naval service.

Her mother comes from Haulbowline Island, Cork harbour, where naval headquarters is based. Her grandfather and uncle were members of the naval service, which she joined as a cadet in 1995.

She has served in various appointments and was the first female instructor in the Naval Cadet School.

Her brother and sister are serving with the army and she is married to an army officer.

When Lt Cdr O'Brien joined the navy she opted for being a deck officer rather than an engineer, so that she could one day command a ship.
http://www.rte.ie/news/2008/1114/navy.html

Traumagod
14th November 2008, 19:13
Congratulations and well done to her!

Goldie fish
14th November 2008, 20:30
How is Lt Cmr O Brien "the first female commander of a ship" when a female officer was in command of one of the ships involved in the recent drugs bust?

Orla was a relief skipper. She was covering for the person holding the appointment of master, but she was not the master. Its a subtle difference.

This clip is painful to watch, considering it was filmed in the basin....

http://www.rte.ie/news/2008/1114/navy_av.html

Goldie fish
14th November 2008, 21:04
Clip from TV3 (whose embed feature is baffling, to say the least)

http://www.tv3.ie/article.php?article_id=3527&locID=1.2.&pagename=news#

And from Six One news..
http://www.rte.ie/news/2008/1114/6news_av.html?2449646,null,230

hptmurphy
14th November 2008, 22:20
Thanks for posting the footage.

L.E. Aisling has always been a bit special to me as I did my first shoot aboard her.

Couple of first here in this as she is also the first female officer to be piped aboard a ship of the NS.
She takes command of a former flag ship and the ceremonies were also reviewed by a former OC 'L.E. Aisling' Captain Jim Robinson, who is one of the few to hold 'Staff rank' without having gone through the cadet system.

She is also very young to hold OC's position given that she is only 31.

Congratulations to Lt Cdr O'Brien and best of luck in the future.

Victor
14th November 2008, 23:44
... and she is married to an army officer.He gets a fair ribbing as she outranks him.

golden rivet
15th November 2008, 00:26
you mean he says yes mam i will make the toastl

her grandfather was a nice man

marloy
15th November 2008, 00:31
you mean he says yes mam i will make the toastl

her grandfather was a nice man

now now be mice :rolleyes:

who was her grandfather

Goldie fish
15th November 2008, 15:47
He gets a fair ribbing as she outranks him.

Not much.

He's a Captain in Artillery.

By Sean O’Riordan
EVEN though Roberta O’Brien grew up almost 100 kilometres from the nearest coastline, it hasn’t stopped the Tipperary native from making history with the Irish Naval Service.

Living in the Glen of Aherlow, at the age of 17 she embarked on a seafaring career which saw her yesterday become the first female commander of an Irish navy ship.

“I saw an opportunity when women were first allowed into the navy,” said Roberta. The year was 1995. She had just completed her Leaving Certificate and joined up with another woman.

This was to be the first chapter in her history-making career.

Arriving in Haulbowline, Co Cork, would have presented her with some nostalgia: her mother, also Roberta, grew up on the island and her grandfather and uncle had been in the service.

The young Roberta joined up as a cadet and two years later was commissioned to the rank of ensign.

A brother and sister also opted for a career in the Defence Forces, but they kept their feet firmly on dry land with the army.

After her commissioning she went to NUI Galway and completed a BSc degree.

While studying she also served onboard the LÉ Deirdre, LÉ Aoife and LÉ Emer, sharpening her naval skills in the process.

After departing university she was posted to the LÉ Niamh, taking on the responsibility of ship’s navigator.

For Roberta it was one of her most challenging roles, as the ship soon cast off for one of the longest voyages ever undertaken by the navy.

The LÉ Niamh had been tasked with promoting Irish products in Asia.

Roberta steered the ship through some of the world’s most challenging waters, as the vessel visited South Korea, Shanghai, Hong Kong, Tokyo, Singapore, India, Eritrea and transited the Suez Canal.

She came through with flying colours.

After a 30-month tour on the LÉ Niamh, Roberta returned to shore, attending the Naval College as cadet class officer and instructor.

On top of that she returned to university in her own time and successfully completed a postgraduate course in management and marketing.

This was followed by a spell as executive officer and second-in-command of the LÉ Emer.

Last October Roberta was posted to the Naval Operations Command, where she was group officer for the Naval Service Reserve (South).

A few months ago she was transferred to Naval Headquarters to work as staff officer for the flag officer commanding naval service in the service support section.

At just 31 years of age, Roberta made history again yesterday, when she took command of the LÉ Aisling, taking over from Lt Cdr Neil Manning.

“It is fantastic to make history. It is the dream of everybody to take command of a ship,” said Roberta.

She is just three ranks away from being the flag officer, the navy’s commander, so, might she make history again?

“I’d hope for career progression, but who knows?” she says.

As flag officers retire at 61, Roberta still has 30 years to hit the top.

“I see it’s possible that other women will look at me and know it is something that can be done,” said Roberta.

She added that about 7% of the navy’s 1,000-strong personnel are women. It is likely that percentage will grow in the years ahead.

When she’s not at sea she’s been known to be a good Gaelic footballer and rugby player. In addition she’s a good runner.

Despite her hectic work schedule she took time out in December 2004 to get married to a man who has his feet firmly set on the ground. The other half of the partnership is Captain Peadar O’Cathain, an artillery officer in the Irish Army.

He hails from Rosmuc Co Galway. Peadar has served overseas in Lebanon, Kosovo and Liberia.

As she takes to the seas as commander of her vessel, Roberta is certainly an inspiration to everyone to follow their dreams

WilcoOut
15th November 2008, 16:08
'L.E. Aisling is twinned with the City of Galway'

what ships are twinned with Dublin, Cork etc?

hptmurphy
15th November 2008, 19:41
Aoife is twinned with Waterford

Eithne is twinned with the Temple Street Childrens hospital

Emer is twinned with Hammond Lane!

golden rivet
15th November 2008, 21:27
now now be mice :rolleyes:

who was her grandfather grandfather was paddy mckeown a warrant officer known as paddles and her uncle you would have known was a po era in your time also known as paddles...

hptmurphy
15th November 2008, 22:05
Yeah we served with 'Paddles' junior on Eithne in the Late Eighties. A most unlikely charachter to have a relative as a ships Captain.

Thinking of it given her blood line how she ever even got a cadetship is bewildering.

Fifth from the left third row, tall guy.

Come to think of it Marloy both you and I are quite prominent in that photo.

Damo the Muff Dver is in there as well ( where did he vanish to?)

golden rivet, I think was his SG2 at the time.

A prize on offer to any one who can name them all.

marloy
15th November 2008, 23:52
Yeah we served with 'Paddles' junior on Eithne in the Late Eighties. A most unlikely charachter to have a relative as a ships Captain.

Thinking of it given her blood line how she ever even got a cadetship is bewildering.

Fifth from the left third row, tall guy.

Come to think of it Marloy both you and I are quite prominent in that photo.

Damo the Muff Dver is in there as well ( where did he vanish to?)

golden rivet, I think was his SG2 at the time.

A prize on offer to any one who can name them all.

do you really want to remember them all murphs. some of them days are just a distant blurr due to copious ammounts of guinness on my part.whats your excuse

remember padles well a good era remember him on watch 1 night thin k it was 12 to 4 when eithnes engines just died for no reason on top of a rather large wave :eek: he had them up and running in no time

hptmurphy
16th November 2008, 16:08
Sorry Gr it would have been your SG1

jbkenn
16th November 2008, 20:45
grandfather was paddy mckeown a warrant officer known as paddles

Knew "Paddles" as Senior Chief, couple of stories, back in the day.. when pay parade on Friday in the gym, consisted of the pay office counting the cash you were paid and your pay book was signed. Paddles was responsible for detailing Guard and Fire Picket duties. One morning as we were leaving the Pay Office for the morning tea, or more precisely the "Deasy's orange and Tayto sandwich"... we had some queer culinary tastes, Paddles is exiting the Master at Arms office across the hall. we can see the light bulb go on, as he does an immediate about turn, come Friday there are 3 of us on Guard duty, Paddles in all his glory, is in the gym, and the realisation dawns, you can hear the penny slowly drop, as he realises there is no one to count the cash, never in the history of the Service have 3 guys been relieved of duty so quickly.

My pal Jim, a dusty in Barrack Services, never fell under the gaze of Paddles, so he never got Guard or Fire Picket duty. One day as he is heading for the tea, he bumps into Paddles on the Depot Lines. Being the sociable sort and seeing what to him was a new face, Paddles enquires his name, and how long he has been in the Service, foolishly Jim replies, 18 months, poor ba$tard, over the next 6 months he made up for it in spades.

My pal H, a Seaman Gunner, Paddles took a shine to him, and created a new grade "Seaman Flymo" realising he would never get to sea, poor sod bought his ticket after 10 months to escape that Flymo.

jbkenn

hptmurphy
16th November 2008, 23:43
The legendary Tayto sandwich

Goldie fish
16th November 2008, 23:43
Aoife is twinned with Waterford

Eithne is twinned with the Temple Street Childrens hospital

Emer is twinned with Hammond Lane!

Hammond Lane in Cork, that is. Roisin is twinned with Limerick, succeeding Deirdre. By that precedent, whatever new Vessel replaces Emer, it will be spending all its social time on Cork's Quayside.

hptmurphy
16th November 2008, 23:48
Eithne even used to be twinned with a famous radio one 'soap'

Harbour Hotel !

A/TEL
17th November 2008, 14:06
Hammond Lane in Cork, that is. Roisin is twinned with Limerick, succeeding Deirdre. By that precedent, whatever new Vessel replaces Emer, it will be spending all its social time on Cork's Quayside.

Niamh is twinned with Limerick

Roisin with Dublin

damo de muff diver
17th November 2008, 21:23
Eithne even used to be twinned with a famous radio one 'soap'

Harbour Hotel !

That is both cruel and unfair.
You have to remember back to that time,Eithne was brand new and we didn`t want to bring her to sea in case we got her wet :biggrin:

I know that I am a little late but congratulations to the new skipper.
Does any-one know is there many females at sea at present?
Also what percentage of naval service is female?
This is just a general wonderment on my part.

Goldie fish
17th November 2008, 21:25
5% according to the figures. The only thing they don't serve on are the peacocks.

damo de muff diver
17th November 2008, 21:39
5% according to the figures. The only thing they don't serve on are the peacocks.

Just another wonderment on my part if any-one knows
Are females spread across all branches or do they tend to favour one over the rest :confused:
Do they go for Tels/signals,because in my day they were all women :biggrin::biggrin:
Moggy will know what I am talking about. :eek:

moggy
17th November 2008, 21:53
Just another wonderment on my part if any-one knows
Are females spread across all branches or do they tend to favour one over the rest :confused:
Do they go for Tels/signals,because in my day they were all women :biggrin::biggrin:
Moggy will know what I am talking about. :eek:

ha ha very funny where did you f off too - we were about to send out a sos
we throught you had abanded ship

Oxlan
18th November 2008, 06:11
Good for her I hope she does well.

damo de muff diver
18th November 2008, 14:06
ha ha very funny where did you f off too - we were about to send out a sos
we throught you had abanded ship

Ahh you know me ,as Jack Lynch (chippy-Emer) use to say "Have badge will travel" :cool:
I was taught so well sometimes even I can`t find myself. :biggrin:
But don`t worry I check in time to time to make sure that you are all behaving yourselves.
:rolleyes:

Galway hooker11
1st December 2008, 11:38
LTCdr Roberta OBrien taking over command of LE Aisling recently

Laners
1st December 2008, 18:24
1st photo should have a caption , Chair Inspection ,

Test Pilot
1st December 2008, 19:01
LTCdr Roberta OBrien taking over command of LE Aisling recently

Nice one J. So the new camera paid off. Was Brian miffed that you got in before him?:biggrin:

GoneToTheCanner
1st December 2008, 20:23
the caption for No 3 should read, "get a haircut!".
regards
GttC

hptmurphy
1st December 2008, 23:53
Nice picture John top class as always from our Galway reporter.

Did anybody inform the senior rate from the eginerring dvision his branch flash is up side down. The two blades should be upermost, ot a single one.

Traumagod
1st December 2008, 23:57
oops!:eek::biggrin:

Galway hooker11
2nd December 2008, 00:33
Nice one J. So the new camera paid off. Was Brian miffed that you got in before him?:biggrin:

ya! still using the same Fuji camera, I found it so hard to get a decent shot as there was no room on the quay! I was really surprised no one thought of erecting a screen or even some flags, it was a little tight with the cars and trucks passing a foot or so from the back of the chairs, it was nice to see office workers opposite the ship give the new skipper loads of support, they had posted messages on the windows, anyway best of luck to her.. a pretty good ship handler I hear from pilots..

turbocalves
2nd December 2008, 01:12
can i ask why she took command in galway is just because the ship is twinned with galway?

Goldie fish
2nd December 2008, 03:45
Thats exactly it.

Galway hooker11
3rd December 2008, 22:00
Does anyone know about a possible upcoming programme being made by RTE, I was told there is one in the pipeline and it may feature the LE Aisling?? this hailed from a very reliable source..ex navy officer who works very close to me in Galway!!

hptmurphy
3rd December 2008, 22:33
Does anyone know about a possible upcoming programme being made by RTE, I was told there is one in the pipeline and it may feature the LE Aisling?? this hailed from a very reliable source..ex navy officer who works very close to me in Galway!!

You might even get a starring role given your connection with Aisling.

haven't heard anything about it.

The ex-naval officer I assume is one head of water safety who is an absolute gentleman, My regards to him.

turbocalves
3rd December 2008, 22:59
hmmmm.

i thought something that historic would have happened in Haulbowline...

Fireplace
3rd April 2009, 22:35
I came across TG4's Mná Na Mara tonight. I just saw a few minutes of it. Looked interesting, following a female L.E. Roisín officer. The programme is likely to be repeated.

Goldie fish
3rd April 2009, 22:50
Repeated sunday Night.

Goldie fish
15th August 2010, 17:05
Lt Cdr Orlaith Gallaghar recently took over command of L.E. Emer, according to a recent series of articles in the Evening Echo. Good to see that Roberta is no longer the "one and only".

However she will have a busy time Keeping Emer going. One of the engineering officers is also female(since when have they had 2?)