Holidays

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Holidays

I just Booked and paid for my Holidays to Ibiza this morning. Having Changed Jobs Last February I only had 17 days holidays this year and 10 of them have Gone on Kilworth, Kilbride and Coolmooney. I have 1 Day left of My holidays which will probably be spent in the Glen in October!! I spent the Easter Long weekend in Kilbride!!

Now anyone who knows me even from the Board, I take my kids every second weekend, so organising range weekends and tactical weekends around my Ex is not a fun thing to do!! Nevermind Camps, But the fact that most of my social life revolves around the RDF isn't it unreasonlable that out of 17 days holidays I have to take 11 for the RDF without a rest day off?? I worked Solidly in work for a week, down on Camp for seven days then back to woek the following monday!! Isn't it Time a Unpaid leave Legislation was introduced for members of the RDF, Civil defence, And Reserve Fire Service, You can bet you're live the reserve Gardai will have it when they are Formed!!

Any Comments???

Friends Come and Go, but Enemies accumulate!!

I think this should be near the top of the list for reforming the RDF. Other countries have legislation to protect people who are, as cheesy as it sounds, giving up their free time for their country. I managed to get 1 week unpaid leave for my PNCO course and the rest was holidays. So far all of the holidays I have taken so far this year have gone to RDF stuff.

Comment

Here Here bailer... I fully agree with you, when i ame off m,y tatical block of my Pots course to return to work all battered and brused the greeting was "enjoy you holiday?" Needless to say i was NOT impressed!
      Over the centuries, mankind has tried many ways of combating the forces of evil...prayer, fasting, good works and so on. Up until Doom, no one seemed to have thought about the double-barrel shotgun. Eat leaden death, demon...

http://www.iamawesome.com/

Comment

Thats what I got as well! That and....."well, did you enoy running around with guns for 2 weeks?"

Comment

I got 2 weeks unpaid leave this year to cover camp so I've still got my full leave entitlement for the year intact. Unpaid leave in my company is not hard to get but you should check with your HR dept. before making too many plans. I got tired of taking holiday leave for RDF because no matter how enjoyable it is you are still there to work, the idea of leave is for R&R not to come back to the job totally knackered. I suppose differnt companies have various policies regarding unpaid leave but I have availed of it and it suits me fine.

Comment

I get paid military leave in my job...

3 days in every 7

7 in every 21 etc

tis a pity that I hate my job...

Comment

I have to admit I left the RDF for a while becuase I couldn't give it the committment it required due to work pressures. Thankfully I now work in an organisation which gives me my RDF training days off (without pay) but without affecting my holidays.

I'm just one of the lucky ones and I guess Eldavido is in that same boat too, but it is a crying shame that most RDF personnel can't get their annual training/courses with the RDF as I do.

What happens when these integrated units come on-board and they require a three week training camp/course how many people are going to attend then. And I guess that also hinders greatly the amount of people that would love to volunteer (I get shivers every time I say that word when speaking about the army ) for the integrated units but will have to delcine the oportunity becuase of work commitments

Comment

it is time for some sort of unpaid leave law to be brought in but be warned the SFA and ISME will fight it tooth and nail as it will affect small companies lossing staff for weeks on end to RDF duties.

Oh and dont have kids either, (the puking, vomiting, noise, baby sitting and overall general inconvenience of having kids are the reason they invented those ferries to england)
                You're even dumber than I tell people

You might have been infected but you never were a bore

Comment

There is I believe a High-level working group on this in RDFRA ?
                  "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

Has the RDFRA given any indication as to the chances of it (unpaid leave for RDF) being passed?

Comment

This is been tackled at various levels. Unfortunately it would require more than just agreement with DOD. RDFRA has recommended a carrot approach whereby employers would get incentives for allowing their personnel attend annual training. This will however require agreement with employers organisations and Dept of Finance. Still a bit away off.

Comment

If it is goin to cost the govt extra money those hoors in the dept of finance will probably veto it. They aren't known for the generosity to different schemes in the DF and especially when it comes to reservists.

Comment

Hmm Just found out I have 28 weeks of Unpaid leave to take between now and Jan 06, that's me Sorted for the Standards, Officers Cse, Sniper Course etc etc.

I wish.

Friends Come and Go, but Enemies accumulate!!

Comment

Bailer, you seem very confident that you will get on all these courses. :p

Comment

If the RDFRA did nothing else except push for non-paid leave for its members for camps courses etc. I think almost everyone in the RDF would be a lot happier. Too many good soldiers end up leaving the RDF because of pressures from work/family on their time. Alot of the problem with employeers is that they really believe that we are off having a holiday when we go away with the RDF

Comment

Working...
                              X