US Naval Visits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• US Naval Visits

Arriving tomorrow(friday 27th),to Cork Harbour initially at anchor,then to the Deepwater Berth, USS Leyte Gulf and USS Bulkeley.
    Due to the security situation it is unlikely that these vessels will be open to the Public.
    Can anyone link a few photos of these ships? Goldie? HPT? Oh ..that reminds me I must get around to scanning those germans...
    Fail to prepare....prepare to FAIL!

USS Leyte Gulf
    More details here

USS Bulkeley

More Details Here

The first of these ships is not now due until about 6pm saturday.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Did they leave earlier than expected? I heard they were due in friday leaving wednesday,but they came in saturday and were gone tuesday evening.

I fail to see the point of US warships visiting any more. The cost in security alone,most of Cork North division were tied up minding them,including 2 patrol cars and a paddy wagon.The Garda Boat and a naval sea rider with garda personell aboard.
      Those who were genuinely interested could not only not board,but were not even allowed near the vessels. The quays were sealed off in a security corden. I thought it was plain bad manners to have in addition to armed sentries on deck,secondary weapons were closed up ready for use. I noticed 2 50 cals pointing at Cobhs high road. Speaking to a female garda on this road,she informed me in all seriousness that her job was not to prevent parking on this narrow road,but to deter youths who might try to provoke the sentries.
      What part of this is courtesy exactly? It used to be Naval tradition to have the crew on deck dressing ship on arrival to port,to demonstrate that its weapons posed no risk to that port....The US done the exact opposite last weekend
      I no longer see the point of the US visiting if they are going to treat every non US person as a possible terrorist.

Comment

they were just being prepared after all they had entered the disputed territory i.e. the peoples republic of cork, with all those red gaa jerseys they might of thought that the commies were comming

seriously though you are right its a frightful waste of garda time and taxpayers money and bad form from the yanks
        You're even dumber than I tell people

You might have been infected but you never were a bore

Comment

Sure they would have known that an expeditionary force was in thurles to support Our boys there. To be honest it was possibly one of the quietest possible weekends to visit.

I never thought I would hear myself protesting against the visit of US warships...

Comment

Why don't the USN just moor in the roads rather than at the quay ?

Anyway the Leyte could probably turn all Cork into two-headed mutants with the Aegis radar . No offence intended to two-headed mutants.
            "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

Originally posted by Goldie fish
              I fail to see the point of US warships visiting any more. The cost in security alone,most of Cork North division were tied up minding them,including 2 patrol cars and a paddy wagon.The Garda Boat and a naval sea rider with garda personell aboard.
              Those who were genuinely interested could not only not board,but were not even allowed near the vessels. The quays were sealed off in a security corden. I thought it was plain bad manners to have in addition to armed sentries on deck,secondary weapons were closed up ready for use. I noticed 2 50 cals pointing at Cobhs high road. Speaking to a female garda on this road,she informed me in all seriousness that her job was not to prevent parking on this narrow road,but to deter youths who might try to provoke the sentries.
              What part of this is courtesy exactly? It used to be Naval tradition to have the crew on deck dressing ship on arrival to port,to demonstrate that its weapons posed no risk to that port....The US done the exact opposite last weekend
              I no longer see the point of the US visiting if they are going to treat every non US person as a possible terrorist.
              Ever hear of the USS Cole and what happened to it after political correctness won the day over security and "warrior spirit." Unfortunately now that vessel security is being taken seriously it means that all "navy-types" are not afforded an opportunity to "explore" these ships. Maybe the CO came across the Indymedia site and decided not to take a chance!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
              No-one, I think, is in my tree...

Comment

The difference in this case would be the presence of a competent and co-operative police force and the benign security situation in Ireland. A more discrete approach to security may have been in order.
                "The dolphins were monkeys that didn't like the land, walked back to the water, went back from the sand."

Comment

Originally posted by FMolloy
                  The difference in this case would be the presence of a competent and co-operative police force and the benign security situation in Ireland. A more discrete approach to security may have been in order.
                  The question of the competence of the police force could be a thread on its own. Remember it is incomprehensible to your average American that Ireland has an unarmed police force. This is unheard of in the US and unarmed police are viewed as little more than security guards.

Discreetness and "sensitivity" were the causes of the USS Cole attack. Several high ranking officers lost their jobs after this fiasco. At this stage nobody is taking any chances even though Ireland poses little security risk. Who wants to risk it after the "attacks" at Shannon? Maybe the exploding Muslim population raised a red flag? Who knows?

Later.
                  No-one, I think, is in my tree...

Comment

The question of the competence of the police force could be a thread on its own. Remember it is incomprehensible to your average American that Ireland has an unarmed police force.
                    The copper directing traffic in O'Connell St. mightn't be armed but a lot of them are, and I'm sure that some of the armed ones would have been watching a high-profile target like a U.S. warship.
                    "The dolphins were monkeys that didn't like the land, walked back to the water, went back from the sand."

Comment

When going aboard a British warship in Holland, there was a sailor on the quarterdeck visibly armed with an L-85 rifle.

Ever since the USS Cole escapade, the USN has been a little more cautious about being unprepared in foreign harbours. Can't quite blame 'em.

NTM
                      Driver, tracks, troops.... Drive and adjust!!

Comment

Every British warship has at least two sentrys with L85's, although we tend to be a little more discrete than the yanks who have an amazing ability to go completley OTT, although with the psycho irish housewives that smashed up the us navy plane at shannon you can maybe ubnderstand them being a little apprehensive.
                        Don't suppose it was the Montrose you were on last year at Den Helder navy days?

Comment

American naval visit to remember Sullivans' sacrifice - Indo

US Navy destroyer USS The Sullivans will lead a flotilla to west Cork today to begin a four-day visit commemorating the five brothers who perished together during WWII.

The crew, with several members of the Irish-American family from Iowa, will participate in events on the Beara Peninsula including unveiling a plaque in honour of the brothers.

The five Sullivan brothers are US naval legends. They died in 1942 when a Japanese sub torpedoed the USS Juneau.

George, Francis, Madison, Joseph and Albert Sullivan of Waterloo, Iowa, volunteered for the navy after a friend died at Pearl Harbour. They got permission to serve on the same ship. Following the tragedy, only in rare cases did the US government allow brothers to serve together.

The story of the Sullivans - whose ages ranged from 20 to 28 - has been described as the greatest single sacrifice by any one family during the war and in US Navy history, and received world recognition through the film The Fighting Sullivans. The brothers' ancestors left Adrigole in the 1840s. A commemorative service will take place as part of the celebrations.

Comment

This is the second ship to bear the name of the Brothers. Those familiar with the story behind "Saving Private Ryan" may know of this family.

There was a film made about them too,I think it was called "the fighting sullivans" or something

According to the Official Ship Website
                            Destroyers are named for naval heroes and leaders. Thus the Navy decided to honor the five Sullivan brothers by naming a new destroyer THE SULLIVANS. This name has caused some confusion because the Navy does not use the article "the" in front of the names of its ships. In this particular instance "the" is part of the ship's name.
                            USS The Sullivans DDG68

The original ship DD537

Comment

US navy pays respect to war hero brothers

US navy pays respect to war hero brothers
                              30-August-2003
                              The Irish Independent

TIGHT security will surround the arrival of a special naval flotilla, led by the US missile-destroyer USS Sullivans, off the west Cork coast to commemorate a family who endured one of World War II's greatest losses, writes Ralph Riegel.

The USS Sullivans arrived off Beara to lead the commemoration of five Irish-American brothers who died when their ship was torpedoed in the Pacific.

The deaths of five Sullivan brothers - George (27), Francis (25), Joe (23), Madison (22) and Albert (19) - prompted President Roosevelt to issue an edict forbidding relatives from serving on the same US vessel.

The story of the Sullivans is mentioned by US top brass in Steven Spielberg's 'Saving Private Ryan'.

The Sullivan family emigrated to the US from Adrigole in the 1840s and the commemoration will recognise the heroism of the brothers. There will also be vessels from the Irish and French navies.

US officers will join relatives John Sullivan and Kelly Sullivan Loughren to unveil a plaque near where the family originated.

Comment

Working...
                              X