PDA

View Full Version : DF Holidays

DeV
19th May 2009, 11:17
Does anyone know what they represent?

I know one is the National Day of Cemmoration

apod
19th May 2009, 12:26
To the best of my knowledge DF holidays are there to compensate members of the PDF for the fact that we are not entitled to Bank holidays as the rest of the workforce are.
Having said that i am open to correction on this.GH and HH might have some insight on this?

DeV
19th May 2009, 19:14
To the best of my knowledge DF holidays are there to compensate members of the PDF for the fact that we are not entitled to Bank holidays as the rest of the workforce are.
Having said that i am open to correction on this.GH and HH might have some insight on this?

Do you get bank holidays? There is extra duty money for bank holidays!

I just looked at the Act and yes the DF & Gardai are exempt!

apod
20th May 2009, 15:42
We dont get bank holidays.:frown:
Thats why we have DF holidays:biggrin:

Groundhog
20th May 2009, 16:56
The normal bank holidays are counted as Army holidays. In addition there's one each in May, July and August respectively commemorating the executions of the 1916 leaders, the Truce of 1921 and the deaths of Michael Collins and Arthur Griffith in 1922.

DeV
20th May 2009, 17:33
Just found them in the 2009 diary:
May (TBA) - 1916 Cemmemoration Day
13 July
17 August

DeV
12th July 2009, 12:29
Found out this morning the National Day of Cemmoration is the Sunday closest to the 11th July (the anniversary of the truce of the War of Independance).

There are 13 DF holidays:

1 January
17 March
Good Friday
Easter Monday
May Bank Holiday
1916 Commemoration Day
June Bank Holiday
11 July (National Day of Commemoration)
August Bank Holiday
15 August
October Bank Holiday
Christmas Day
St.Stephens Day

cooley
12th July 2009, 17:53
Only problem with DF holidays is that if they fall on Saturday you don't get the Monday after off!! If it falls on the Sunday you do get the Monday off. There were a couple of mistakes in this year's calendar. So because 11 July and 15 August fall on Saturday's we aren't getting them off!!

Groundhog
12th July 2009, 18:16
Only problem with DF holidays is that if they fall on Saturday you don't get the Monday after off!! If it falls on the Sunday you do get the Monday off. There were a couple of mistakes in this year's calendar. So because 11 July and 15 August fall on Saturday's we aren't getting them off!!

Haven't you heard that your pay is 50% higher than the private sector workers. There are electricians and CEOs of banks literally starving while you swan around demanding a day off. Jeez.:eek:

Tango_Charlie
12th July 2009, 19:28

Technically, yes we are getting them off, because saturdays are officially still considered working days. And always will be because if the army week is officially shortened to 5 days then they will have to pay us sunday/bank holiday rates for saturday duties.

Its a balls that we dont get the monday off but i'd much rather work those two mondays than work every saturday! :biggrin:

DeV
12th July 2009, 20:39
But there is more duty money for DF holidays!

cooley
13th July 2009, 13:08
i'd much rather work those two mondays than work every saturday! :biggrin:

I like your positive outlook.

Tango_Charlie
13th July 2009, 18:47
I like your positive outlook.

Is it the sceptic in me or do i detect a hint of sarcasm? :rolleyes:

cooley
13th July 2009, 23:08
Is it the sceptic in me or do i detect a hint of sarcasm? :rolleyes:

No. :smile:

FougaM
14th July 2009, 21:43
We dont get bank holidays.:frown:
Thats why we have DF holidays:biggrin:

In Ireland members of the Defence Forces like all employees are entitled to Bank Holidays. Extra duty money compensates for working on a bank holiday. Civilians working on a bank holiday get over-time pay and possibly a day in lieu.

Defence Forces Holidays are days of commemoration only, they were not intended to be days off rather instead; a day to commemorate events/people.

Me likes the day off :)

danno
19th December 2010, 14:13
I read lately that public service privilege days are to be phased out under Croke Park,does it follow that the DF hols will also get the chop?

RoyalGreenJacket
19th December 2010, 14:40
i hope not, it's bad enough taking pay cuts without taking days off you too.

Hello Alaska
19th December 2010, 14:43
i hope not, it's bad enough taking pay cuts without taking days off you too.

They're planning on taking them out of annual leave instead.

Kip of a country.

RoyalGreenJacket
19th December 2010, 15:24
there aren't many things that are sacred, but a soldiers leave is.

HavocIRL
19th December 2010, 15:33
there aren't many things that are sacred, but a soldiers leave is.

That and 'Real Message'

hedgehog
19th December 2010, 16:23
Sorry to hear about that HA.

The leave of the DF and ordianry joe soaps can never be compared- the DF dont work mon- fri 9-5.

In Units such as the Vikings it was hard to get time to avail of the full compliment anyway,

now this penny pinching PR exercise.

DeV
19th December 2010, 16:32
The leave of the DF and ordianry joe soaps can never be compared- the DF dont work mon- fri 9-5.

Well said!

Hello Alaska
19th December 2010, 16:35
Sorry to hear about that HA.

In Units such as the Vikings it was hard to get time to avail of the full compliment anyway,

now this penny pinching PR exercise.

Indeed, we had lads go into the Coy office and ask what was the story with the christmas shopping day that apparently everyone in the PS is entitled to... They got laughed out of the office.

Of course, regardless of what parts of the PS actually get the so called shopping days, the whole PS gets it in the neck because of it.

Smashing stuff altogether.

danno
19th December 2010, 18:24
All might not be lost,the DF days are still listed as hols in the 2011 An Cos diary and thats Bible.

RoyalGreenJacket
19th December 2010, 18:49
All might not be lost,the DF days are still listed as hols in the 2011 An Cos diary and thats Bible.

all i can say is if you want these days leave Danno while they are still there is:

"book 'em Danno (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hawaii_Five-O)" :biggrin:

hedgehog
19th December 2010, 18:51
all i can say is if you want these days leave Danno while they are still there is:

We have today plummeted new depths,

though to be fair- its a good one.:eek::eek:

RoyalGreenJacket
19th December 2010, 20:57
that will only mean something to the 'older' ones among us Hedgie.

Goldie fish
19th December 2010, 22:14
I read lately that public service privilege days are to be phased out under Croke Park,does it follow that the DF hols will also get the chop?

There are 2 privilege days in the PS. There are leave days that must be taken on certain dates, in the past this was for practical reasons. You were frced to take a days leave after easter and christmas. The new Agreement makes these days mobile. However those who already have more than 30 days leave per year will lose them.
That said, everyone else gets to use 2 more days whenever they need to.

I don't think the DF were affected by this arrangement.

RoyalGreenJacket
20th December 2010, 02:48
mobile days are the way forward.

all 38 of our days are mobile.

Goldie fish
20th December 2010, 10:05
mobile days are the way forward.

all 38 of our days are mobile.

What is a "mobile" day and how does it differ from normal leave?

turbocalves
20th December 2010, 10:07

I'm gonna hazard a guess that it allows them to 'carry-over' days that they didnt take, into the following year....

But I am guessing!

Smithy
21st December 2010, 08:00
"the DF dont work mon- fri 9-5." And I thought it was only me that didn't work!

RoyalGreenJacket
21st December 2010, 08:17

it means that our annual leave of 38 days (excluding weekends) includes 8 days Bank / Public Holidays which we do NOT have to take on designated Bank / Public Holidays - it's our leave so we choose when we take it.

so if i am duty or it doesn't suit me to take a long weekend when everyone else is, i just put a normal days leave in for an alternate day or i can save that day and just add it onto a longer period if i want an extended time off. if i do want that particular bank holiday - again i have to put that day's leave in. it is a much fairer system and was designed with soldiers on operations in mind who are disadvantaged as they often miss many Bank / Public Holidays while they are away on tour - with 'mobile' days they can use those extra days leave at anytime they wish before they go / when they return. they are just normal days leave like the other 30 days we get.

I'm gonna hazard a guess that it allows them to 'carry-over' days that they didnt take, into the following year....

But I am guessing!

this is not the case turbocalves - no matter what our entitlement is during the year (our normal 38 days PLUS any Post Operational Tour Leave (POTL) or Re-Location Leave or REN Leave) - by default we are allowed carry over 15 days of unused leave into the following year. there are occasions where some soldiers will have much more than 15 days to bring across and in these circumstances a letter from the soldiers OC is required to authorise more than 15 days to be carried across.

i've been told we are getting an extra days leave next year due to Prince William and Kate's big day.

it's a good and fair system.

oh - we don't have such things as 'sick days', we are soldiers - no such things as 'calling in sick'!

DeV
21st December 2010, 20:33
i've been told we are getting an extra days leave next year due to Prince William and Kate's big day.

How many hundreds of soldiers will be involved? Quite a few I would say

RoyalGreenJacket
22nd December 2010, 00:22
How many hundreds of soldiers will be involved? Quite a few I would say

absolutely no idea Dev, perhaps 2 Guards battalions and some Cavalry - that's the domain of the Household Division and those involved in ceremonials in London at the time, aswell as those involved in security and other background duties concerning the event.

but given the fact all of our days leave including bank holidays are mobile - those on duty that day will just take that extra day off whenever it suits them.

even though i may still be in Canada on the day, i will still be given that days leave to take whenever i like so i am not disadvantaged - the same goes for every other soldier, we all get the extra day off to take when we please if we do not wish to or are unable to take it on the day it falls.

it's a very fair system.

DeV
22nd December 2010, 00:36
but given the fact all of our days leave including bank holidays are mobile - those on duty that day will just take that extra day off whenever it suits them.

And you slated our resting off system!

RoyalGreenJacket
22nd December 2010, 01:09
And you slated our resting off system!

too right i did.

why do you need a day off after a guard duty?

you don't - that's why it is a ridiculous system.

an extra bank holiday has been declared for the UK for that day of Prince William's wedding.

why should a soldier deployed to Afghanistan be denied a day off that his counterparts in the UK receive?

he shouldn't - that's why it is a very fair system.

trellheim
31st March 2011, 11:26
If anyone has an An Cosantoir diary with the upcoming Army holiday dates in, can they please let me know what they are for 2011 ? Thanks.

Duffman
31st March 2011, 11:37

Its times like this were I wish IMO had a "Thanks / Like" button! Bravo.

As a matter of interest, what is the annual leave in the DF? And is there a limit on how long / when you can take em or is that at the discretion of the CO?

DeV
31st March 2011, 11:43
Fully at the discretion of the unit
http://www.military.ie/dfhq/pubrel/publications/documents/NewEntrantsHandbook.pdf
Pages 30 - 35

DeV
31st March 2011, 20:17
If anyone has an An Cosantoir diary with the upcoming Army holiday dates in, can they please let me know what they are for 2011 ? Thanks.

May (TBA) - 1916 Cemmemoration Day (not sure if this is a DF holiday)
11 July - DF Holiday
15 Aug - DF Holiday
27 Dec - DF Holiday

REX
31st March 2011, 20:25
As a matter of interest, what is the annual leave in the DF? And is there a limit on how long / when you can take em or is that at the discretion of the CO?

28 days for new entrants, 29 with more than 5 years service, and 30 days with 12 years service.
For long term leave you must also take leave for the week ends, so 2 weeks in Bella Midena will cost you the full 14 days.
Leave should be taken within 1 year but a maximum of 19 days can be carried to the next year

trellheim
31st March 2011, 20:58
04 may, a wednesday, for the commemoration.

http://www.militarychaplaincy.ie/

trellheim
31st March 2011, 20:59
Rex do you know if its an Army Holiday?

REX
31st March 2011, 21:09
Rex do you know if its an Army Holiday?

All I can tell you is, yes usually, but DF holidays are a movable feast, so, if they want to, they may move it closer to a weekend

golden rivet
1st April 2011, 00:52
too right i did.

why do you need a day off after a guard duty?

you don't - that's why it is a ridiculous system.

an extra bank holiday has been declared for the UK for that day of Prince William's wedding.

why should a soldier deployed to Afghanistan be denied a day off that his counterparts in the UK receive?

he shouldn't - that's why it is a very fair system.

after a 24 hour guard duty doing sentry duties etc you mean to say you are not going to rest off..

DeV
1st April 2011, 01:15
They do the 24hrs in shifts so have rest during their duty.

RoyalGreenJacket
1st April 2011, 01:17
after a 24 hour guard duty doing sentry duties etc you mean to say you are not going to rest off..

well given that we get our full quota of sleep during the guard we don't really need to 'rest off'. we do a full days work on the day of the guard aswell.

however - we dismount Guard at 1800hrs and we have until first parade the next day to 'rest off'. :biggrin:

don't get me wrong - i'd take the day off and the extra pay if i was given it. it's a perk you have in the Irish DF that we do not however i think it is highly ineffective and far from efficient.

why take a whole day off work for the sake of 8 hours sleep? just change the time the guard mounts / dismounts.

Truck Driver
1st April 2011, 05:33
Not to forget that there would be MOD policemen and MPGS personnel, I think, do security duties on some British military posts, so I'm not so sure the system is the same ?

RoyalGreenJacket
1st April 2011, 07:11
Not to forget that there would be MOD policemen and MPGS personnel, I think, do security duties on some British military posts, so I'm not so sure the system is the same ?

that's right TD - some places have MPGS and / or ModPlod on stag and for these bases - there is no guard force required.

i'm obviously referring to some units, mostly the Infantry Battalions who still mount a proper army Guard Force complete with Stickman etc. who do not employ a MPGS or ModPlod guard.

anyhow, we are drifting odd topic, apologies.

do the Irish DF get extra holidays compared to those in Civ Div? that's pretty cool.

DeV
1st April 2011, 12:13
MOD: Wasn't there a thread on this topic somewhere?

http://forum.irishmilitaryonline.com/showthread.php?t=16384&highlight=guard

Its closed for a reason

Now back to THIS thread

DeV
1st April 2011, 12:19
do the Irish DF get extra holidays compared to those in Civ Div? that's pretty cool.

See the start of the thread

RoyalGreenJacket
2nd April 2011, 01:31
i genuinely meant that.

trellheim
24th May 2013, 15:05
May I know the DF holidays for 2013 anyone ? I' getting rightly annoyed.

Rhodes
24th May 2013, 19:06
May I know the DF holidays for 2013 anyone ? I' getting rightly annoyed.

They are the same every year. Mostly Holy Days of Obligation and bank holidays.

List of the top of my head;
New Years day - 1st January
Saint Patrick's Day - 17th March
Good Friday
Easter Sunday and Monday
May Day - first Monday in May
1916 Commemoration Day - second Wednesday in May
June Bank Holiday - first Monday in June
1921 Truce - 11th July
August Bank Holiday - first Monday in August
Feast of the Assumption - 15th August
October Bank Holiday - last Monday in October
Christmas Day - 25th December
Saint Stephen's Day - 26th December

RoyalGreenJacket
24th May 2013, 19:12
They are the same every year. Mostly Holy Days of Obligation and bank holidays.

List of the top of my head;
New Years day - 1st January
Saint Patrick's Day - 17th March
Good Friday
Easter Sunday and Monday
May Day - first Monday in May
1916 Commemoration Day - second Wednesday in May
June Bank Holiday - first Monday in June
1921 Truce - 11th July
August Bank Holiday - first Monday in August
Feast of the Assumption - 15th August
October Bank Holiday - last Monday in October
Christmas Day - 25th December
Saint Stephen's Day - 26th December

surely those above dates are all optional?

hedgehog
24th May 2013, 19:24
Yes they are all optional.

Lets leave it at that lads.