PDA

View Full Version : Naval Crests.

Bailer
8th September 2003, 09:04
<font face="tahoma" color="#ff9900">Hello Gentlemen,

I have completed all the Naval Service Crests I have for my Website, I Have 16 of the Ships (Corvettes, Peacocks, Patrol Boats etc.) I still Havn't got a Crest For LÉ Banba (Goldie??) and can anyone give me a complete list of the Ships??

The Crests are at http://www.bailerweb.com/sections/navy/coa.htm

Brgds

Bailer.

</font>

posiedon
14th September 2003, 15:32

Bailer
23rd September 2003, 17:21
<font face="tahoma" color="#ff9900">Thanks Posiedon,

Nice to hear from you, it's been a while. BTW I'm just back from Ibiza where I stayed in the Posiedon II apartments ha ha. Anyway I have a source in Cobh now who may also be able to get me the Naval Base crest that murph was looking for.

Brgds,

Bailer.

Goldie fish
24th September 2003, 02:05
Is that the one with the fox?

Sluggie
24th September 2003, 03:13
Yeah, Haulboline is Inis Sionnach, in the first language.

Have you noticed the fox in the centre of the roundabout as you pass the security barrier into the base?

Goldie fish
24th September 2003, 03:26
The new one on the bridge? I never pay much attention to the scenery,usually keeping the head down...I saw the crest many years ago somewhere,but i don't remember where..

Considering the amount of wild foxes that have become prevailant in urban areas,do those on the base Have one as a mascot? One of the establishments that i work on has had a male fox frequenting the security hut every night for about a year now. And its not a million miles away from Haulbowline..
Was on the high road in Cobh once also and saw one strolling along,pausing to look over the wall,as if to check if the island bearing his name was still intact.

Sluggie
24th September 2003, 03:37
Not the security hut at the end of the bridge as you enter isish Steel. The one as you enter the base.

i think the name of the island is pretty ancient.

Goldie fish
24th September 2003, 06:29
oh..rarely go in that way...usually if i take the bridge i am going into the basin,and I have not been in the other side of the island in about 6 years. I know the crest though(I used to think is was a cat..)

hptmurphy
24th September 2003, 18:58
always thinking of pussy.....good man Goldie!

Steamy Window
1st June 2005, 12:49
http://www.bailerweb.com/navy/coa.htm

can anybody explain the origins of the ships coats of arms, or explain the symbolism behind them, eg is the castle on eithne there to commemorate links to limerick?

Goldie fish
1st June 2005, 12:57
Most of the crests relate to the ships name,rather than its current history.

http://www.bailerweb.com/images/naval%20service/coa/maeve300.gif

Looking at the above of L.E Maev you have a bulls head and the crest of connaught. This signifies the position Queen Maev held with her castle in Galway bay(considering herself at the time equal in status to Queen Elizabeth) and the story of the bull,and that battle..etc....

Laners
1st June 2005, 17:53
Bailer, on your site you refer to the Crests as Coats Of Arms and the Crest titled Fola is actualy Banba's I believe, so your missing Crest is that of Fola .

hptmurphy
1st June 2005, 17:55
Actaully most of the crests were designed or sourced by the wife of the late LtCdr Sean O'Brien who was the Naval historian prior to his death a number of years ago.

Lt Cdr O'Brien had enlisted as a rating and been promoted through the ranks and was a great fountain of knowledge

Laners
1st June 2005, 18:09
http://www.bailerweb.com/navy/coa.htm

can anybody explain the origins of the ships coats of arms, or explain the symbolism behind them, eg is the castle on eithne there to commemorate links to limerick?
The naval section of the official Defence Forces web site explains the origins of the names of all ships in service .

Laners
1st June 2005, 18:23
Actaully most of the crests were designed or sourced by the wife of the late LtCdr Sean O'Brien who was the Naval historian prior to his death a number of years ago.

Lt Cdr O'Brien had enlisted as a rating and been promoted through the ranks and was a great fountain of knowledge
I served with him on Spike and on Eithne and I think he had every piece of military history memorised . If you got talking to him and asked a question on a subject he would have you cornerd for an hour or so giving you the answer .
Had a great time with him on Spike when he got a hold of all the old keys to open up the underground passageways and magazines .

moggy
1st June 2005, 19:32
how good a time??

yooklid
1st June 2005, 22:10
(considering herself at the time equal in status to Queen Elizabeth)...

Huh? The Tain is a fictionalised account. While we are reasonably sure that a Meave did exist, we can't be sure that it is her. Also, the events in the Tain are supposed to have occured around 0 AD or so. Well before Liz 1

Sluggie
2nd June 2005, 00:50
I think that Goldie is confusing Meave with Grace O'Malley (Gráinne Mhaoil) who was I think a cotemporary of Elizabeth I.

Goldie fish
2nd June 2005, 06:55
Yep,thats it again...I'm not at my best during daylight hours..I really shouldn't answer complicated questions.

the babs
27th June 2005, 08:18
Here are the crests that i have. If you want them in colour let me know and ill post them next week when i get a chance

hptmurphy
28th June 2005, 23:36
There is an article by the late LTCdR Sean O Brien in the 1996 naval comerative edition of an Cosantoir regarding the origin of the charachters in the naval crests up to the time of the peacocks. If somebody wishes I will post it up here.