Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Naval Crests.

Hello Gentlemen,

I have completed all the Naval Service Crests I have for my Website, I Have 16 of the Ships (Corvettes, Peacocks, Patrol Boats etc.) I still Havn't got a Crest For LÉ Banba (Goldie??) and can anyone give me a complete list of the Ships??

The Crests are at http://www.bailerweb.com/sections/navy/coa.htm

Brgds

Bailer.

Friends Come and Go, but Enemies accumulate!!

Last edited by posiedon; 30 January 2004, 20:41.

Comment

Thanks Posiedon,

Nice to hear from you, it's been a while. BTW I'm just back from Ibiza where I stayed in the Posiedon II apartments ha ha. Anyway I have a source in Cobh now who may also be able to get me the Naval Base crest that murph was looking for.

Brgds,

Bailer.
      Friends Come and Go, but Enemies accumulate!!

Comment

Is that the one with the fox?

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Yeah, Haulboline is Inis Sionnach, in the first language.

Have you noticed the fox in the centre of the roundabout as you pass the security barrier into the base?

Comment

The new one on the bridge? I never pay much attention to the scenery,usually keeping the head down...I saw the crest many years ago somewhere,but i don't remember where..

Considering the amount of wild foxes that have become prevailant in urban areas,do those on the base Have one as a mascot? One of the establishments that i work on has had a male fox frequenting the security hut every night for about a year now. And its not a million miles away from Haulbowline..
            Was on the high road in Cobh once also and saw one strolling along,pausing to look over the wall,as if to check if the island bearing his name was still intact.

Comment

Not the security hut at the end of the bridge as you enter isish Steel. The one as you enter the base.

i think the name of the island is pretty ancient.

Comment

oh..rarely go in that way...usually if i take the bridge i am going into the basin,and I have not been in the other side of the island in about 6 years. I know the crest though(I used to think is was a cat..)

Comment

always thinking of pussy.....good man Goldie!
                  Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Ships Coats of Arms

can anybody explain the origins of the ships coats of arms, or explain the symbolism behind them, eg is the castle on eithne there to commemorate links to limerick?
                    "Gentlemen, you can’t fight in here...this is the War Room!"

Comment

Most of the crests relate to the ships name,rather than its current history.

Looking at the above of L.E Maev you have a bulls head and the crest of connaught. This signifies the position Queen Maev held with her castle in Galway bay(considering herself at the time equal in status to Queen Elizabeth) and the story of the bull,and that battle..etc....

Comment

Bailer, on your site you refer to the Crests as Coats Of Arms and the Crest titled Fola is actualy Banba's I believe, so your missing Crest is that of Fola .
                        Don't spit in my Bouillabaisse .

Comment

Actaully most of the crests were designed or sourced by the wife of the late LtCdr Sean O'Brien who was the Naval historian prior to his death a number of years ago.

Lt Cdr O'Brien had enlisted as a rating and been promoted through the ranks and was a great fountain of knowledge
                          Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Originally posted by stameen soldier
                            http://www.bailerweb.com/navy/coa.htm

can anybody explain the origins of the ships coats of arms, or explain the symbolism behind them, eg is the castle on eithne there to commemorate links to limerick?
                            The naval section of the official Defence Forces web site explains the origins of the names of all ships in service .

Comment

Originally posted by hptmurphy
                              Actaully most of the crests were designed or sourced by the wife of the late LtCdr Sean O'Brien who was the Naval historian prior to his death a number of years ago.

Lt Cdr O'Brien had enlisted as a rating and been promoted through the ranks and was a great fountain of knowledge
                              I served with him on Spike and on Eithne and I think he had every piece of military history memorised . If you got talking to him and asked a question on a subject he would have you cornerd for an hour or so giving you the answer .
                              Had a great time with him on Spike when he got a hold of all the old keys to open up the underground passageways and magazines .

Comment

Working...
                              X