RTE Radio documentary - 1980

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RTE Radio documentary - 1980

Just came across this documentary about the NS, first broadcast in 1980, in the RTE online archive. Some interesting interviews and familiar voices after the initial standard history bit.

Good stuff.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Can name a few including the Late Sean O'Brien. Rory 'the Rod' Costello is in there as well...Mark Mellet is there in the spiel on Emer.

PJ McIlheny is qite prominet in the interviews also,
      Last edited by hptmurphy; 12 July 2009, 01:12.
      Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

There ye go again Murph. Mark Mellet, Mark Mellet, Mark Mellet. I think you are a bit of a Dr Goebbels for that man.

Comment

Originally posted by vladimirputin View Post
          There ye go again Murph. Mark Mellet, Mark Mellet, Mark Mellet. I think you are a bit of a Dr Goebbels for that man.
          What is your problem?

The man is in the documentary! As far as I know he is the only one in it interviewed who is still serving! Do you have some problem with him?

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

There ye go again Murph. Mark Mellet, Mark Mellet, Mark Mellet. I think you are a bit of a Dr Goebbels for that man
            whats your problem?

I merely mentioned the voices I recognised.If I had recognised any more of the vioces I would have named the people.

The people mentioned were interview on other programes in the past and the voices distinct, couldn't help but picking out Mark Mellets voice as it is quite distinct as is Sean O'Briens.

I fail to see why mentioning a persons name, and i have mentioned plenty others in the past should be a problem.
            if you have a problem with the guy maybe you should take it up directly with him rather than trying to attack him through me.

I rarely have contact with serving members of the NS especially those on high why would I? given that I was just an A/Sea albeit 21 years ago.the guys talking were serving when I was..why shouldn't i mention them.

by the way..the Rod was speaking on two occasions but I notice you didn't pick up on that point.
            Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Originally posted by vladimirputin View Post
              Sorry Vlad, Have to agree with the Guys!

Personally I never had a problem with MM, he was always very professional and fair to me. A few more like him and the Service would be a super place!

Comment

Originally posted by Test Pilot View Post
                Sorry Vlad, Have to agree with the Guys!

Personally I never had a problem with MM, he was always very professional and fair to me. A few more like him and the Service would be a super place!
                Vlad , you really do not like to hear MM name mentioned it seems to set you off
                What did the man do to you ? :confused:

Or is it Murph that you have a problem with ?

Question to Murph
                Does Vlad have a sister from Galway who is big boned ?
                What do you mean abandon ship
                Are they taking requests?

Comment

Or is it Murph that you have a problem with ?
                  Well if thats the case bring it on..I've nothing to hide..have you Mr Putin?

Question to Murph
                  Does Vlad have a sister from Galway who is big boned
                  I'll never live that one down..and all for twenty quid.Anyway she wasn't from Galway..just in Uni there..she was a yank..hence I've never visited the place!

Probably lives in a trailer park in the deep south with 12 cross eyed inbred ginger kids married to a guy called Cleetus ,a close realitve no doubt, who is toothless and 'whittles' on the porch between banjo sessions.

Another sleepless night compliments of Damo

Maybe Mr Putin was turned down by the lady in question and wasn't offered twenty quid...hence he hates me.Don't worry you didn't miss much and I spent the twenty quid trying to get massive beer goggles!

Comment

now who is vlad i wonder... is he an ex sailor or soldier or a civie.. he does not like mark or murph so we have to get him to go to our forgiveness classes so we can all be friends and remember the good times.... as the saying goes we are here for a good time not a long time......

Comment

Originally posted by golden rivet View Post
                      now who is vlad i wonder... is he an ex sailor or soldier or a civie.. he does not like mark or murph so we have to get him to go to our forgiveness classes so we can all be friends and remember the good times.... as the saying goes we are here for a good time not a long time......
                      I agree, GR. leave the guns outside the door and enjoy the craic!

Comment

Have listened to it a few times & I can`t put a name to the Leading gunner .
                        Any help , am looking to G.R. or T.P.
                        Thanks in advance

P.S. Mark Mellet :wink:
                        What do you mean abandon ship
                        Are they taking requests?

Comment

Paul Newman, Von Lucey in there as well.
                          OK Murphy sorry about the MM stuff. You gotta kinda agree though that you do mention him quite a bit. Nothing wrong in that though. Nice chap that Mark.

Comment

Originally posted by damo de muff diver View Post
                            Have listened to it a few times & I can`t put a name to the Leading gunner .
                            Any help , am looking to G.R. or T.P.
                            Thanks in advance

P.S. Mark Mellet :wink:
                            that leading gunner is believe it or not MICK ROGERS OF KNOCK DOWN THE DONKEYS FAME

Comment

let it go..its not what we are here for to excahge insults and draw third parties into it.

I do tend to mention ames of people across the NS and the RDF that I have served with and have been pulled quite a few times by the mods,Most of the guys are emntion for the achievements, in this case the guys mentioned were so beacuse I was naming guys I recognised just as other have done.

be warned I will congratulate the Commander on line when he is promoted to Captain as it would be courteous...and because I have no other way of making my sentiment known to him although I doubt he will ever pick up on it.

Its nice to know that those we served with have accomplished serious achievements in the service and should be noted on it.

Some would disagree..we resepct the fallen on this board , why not those who achieve sometimes the ultimate results too.

is Paul Newman still around he was comical arriving into work on his Honda 50. Fine Leading Sig, stood many watches with him, great guy brilliant sense of humour. Mick Rogers was also a bit of a charachter...Big Ginger L/Sea who worked in boat transport in later years.Yep thats him..the big Ginger Dub
                              Last edited by hptmurphy; 17 July 2009, 00:20.

Comment

Working...
                              X