Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Captain Derek Furniss (32) and Cadet David Jevens (22), Pilatus Crash 12 October 2009

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Captain Derek Furniss (32) and Cadet David Jevens (22), Pilatus Crash 12 October 2009

Defence Forces Press Office
    12 October 2009. 11.10 pm.

Statement
    The crew and wreckage of the Air Corps Pilatus PC 9 reported missing this evening have been located and the two crew members, the flight instructor and cadet pilot, are unfortunately confirmed dead. Their remains are at the scene of the crash, which has been sealed off by local Gardaí and Fire Crews.

The crash site will be examined at first light tomorrow morning by Air Accident Investigators from the Air Corps and Department of Transport. The remains of the two crew can only be removed after the scene has been cleared of the explosives from the PC 9 ejector seats which would be at the crash site also.

Names of the crew of the aircraft will not be released until it is confirmed that their families have been informed by Air Corps personnel. The Chief of Staff, Lieutenant General Dermot Earley and the General Officer Commanding the Air Corps, Brigadier General Ralph James have expressed their deepest sympathies on behalf of the Defence Forces at this difficult time for the families of these deceased airmen.

Ar dheis Dé go raibh a anam dílis.

Note: The location of the crash site is in the area of Crumlin-East/Crumlin West, north of Lough Corrib, on the Galway-Mayo border.
    ENDS.
    My condolences to the families involved, and to the comrades and friends of the deceased.

Rip
    To close with and kill the enemy in all weather conditions, night and day and over any terrain

Comment

RIP...tragic just watched the earlier Documentary on Rescue about other lads killed in '99. Thoughts go out to the families

Comment

My condolences to the crews family, loved ones, friends and colleagues. My thoughts are with you at this terrible time.

Rest In Peace

Comment

R.i.p
          But there's no danger
          It's a professional career
          Though it could be arranged
          With just a word in Mr. Churchill's ear
          If you're out of luck you're out of work
          We could send you to johannesburg.

(Elvis Costello, Olivers Army)

Comment

Rest in Peace

What a tragic loss of two young lives. No doubt they already are and will forever be missed. Condolences to their family and friends.
            Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.
            Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.
            Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?
            Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?

Comment

Another sad day in the History of the Air Corps.

R.I.P.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

R.i.p
                Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat.

Comment

Rip
                  You're even dumber than I tell people

You might have been infected but you never were a bore

Comment

Rip
                    "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

rip
                      My thoughts are with the families, friends and comrades.

Comment

Rip

Comment

Rest In Peace. Condolences to their family, friends and colleagues.
                          "Fellow-soldiers of the Irish Republican Army, I have just received a communication from Commandant Pearse calling on us to surrender and you will agree with me that this is the hardest task we have been called upon to perform during this eventful week, but we came into this fight for Irish Independence in obedience to the commands of our higher officers and now in obedience to their wishes we must surrender. I know you would, like myself, prefer to be with our comrades who have already fallen in the fight - we, too, should rather die in this glorious struggle than submit to the enemy." Volunteer Captain Patrick Holahan to 58 of his men at North Brunswick Street, the last group of the Four Courts Garrison to surrender, Sunday 30 April 1916.

Comment

RIP, may god have mercy on their souls and their families

Comment

Rip
                              What are you cackling at, fatty? Too much pie, that's your problem.

Comment

Working...
                              X