Solas 2010

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solas 2010

I've noticed recently of various cruise ship companies & ferry operators selling off their vessels due to the incoming International Convention for the Safety of Life at Sea 2010 regulations.

SOLAS 2010 will require all ships of 167 signatory states making international voyages -- including virtually every country where cruise ships are registered -- to comply with the latest fire safety requirements. This means that for the first time, the latest regulations will apply even to the oldest ships as the grandfather clauses protecting them will not longer apply.

Will the incoming regulations affect any Irish ferry operators?

I believe the Black Prince is one of the victims.
    What is the reason most can't comply?

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Originally posted by dirtyshirt View Post
      I believe the Black Prince is one of the victims.
      What is the reason most can't comply?
      Mainly pure cost!

the latest rules are requirements that there be two means of egress from all atrium levels; low-level lighting systems; installation of smoke detectors, sprinklers, fire detectors and fire alarm systems in all accommodations and service areas; and fireproof enclosures around all stairways. Most of these rules went into effect by October 1, 2005, which means all ships in service today already comply. But full compliance with the latest SOLAS regulations won't be required until 2010, when all ships regardless of age will be required to be free of almost all combustible materials in their construction.

Saga Rose is another that has just been sold off due to SOLAS 2010.

Comment

Working...
      X