get it yourself...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• get it yourself...

Was talking with some friends in the Guards recently and they were telling me about how
    much fairly essential kit is either not supplied or if it is is so useless that practically everyone
    gets their own substitute which can be quiet expensive. The chat got me wondering what the
    story with the PDF is now, I know the amount of kit issued and its quality has come on leaps and bounds in recent years but I wonder what sort of fairly essential items are still not issued like say a good torch or a good rugged watch or whatever and what is usually substituted for a better alternative i.e. boots, daysacks etc

Too simplify the question I suppose the post could be entitled 'what YOU need to buy to get by whilst serving in the PDF'

If we could keep it to the PDF that'd be great I think everyone knows the story with the reserve

Cheers

Most of the gear is good enough but some is not very practical. Most of the items I have listed below though not all essential make life that bit easier.

The sleeping bag is ridiculously big (the one I was issued anyway) and I don't believe you'd get that and your bivvy bag comfortably into the bottom compartment of your rucksack, certainly not in a hurry.

The snugpak jacket is an excellent piece of kit which many buy as it doubles as a fleece and norwegian and is less bulky.

The boots issued (Haix) aren't too bad but I don't like the support in them. They seem to collapse or go off to one side which is not good.

No matter how good your boots are the water will most likely get in eventually given time. Sealskinz socks are excellent and I have worn them on two week exercises. Would find it harder to do without them now on long wet exercises.

Gas cookers while not exactly essential make life a lot easier and my pocket rocket has served me well for five or so years now, well worth the 35 quid I paid for it.

Thermos flasks are a luxury item for days on the range / exercises and are not issued. A thermal mug is on issue but will not do the same job. I still use the mug too though.

Waterproof winter hats are not on general issue, and only issued to troops in Kosovo (to the best of my knowledge). A good waterproof one similar to the issue one will set you back 30-40 euros. This is something which in my opinion should definitely be on issue.

Swiss Army knives were supposed to go on general issue but don't seem to have filtered down. Many use leatherman type tools as its also handy for cutting open ammo boxes etc.. You need this for living on the ground.

Scarves / headovers aren't on general issue and are pretty important for keeping the cold out.

The torch on issue is too big and impractical for most things I need it for so I use a energizer head torch which cost about 18 or 20 quid.

Head nets are an essential item both home and overseas and are not on issue at home. I normally carry two in case I lose one or some poor unfortunate buddy forgets his.
    Last edited by cooley; 2 November 2009, 17:47.

Comment

Originally posted by cooley View Post
      Most of the gear is good enough but some is not very practical. Most of the items I have listed below though not all essential make life that bit easier.

The sleeping bag is ridiculously big (the one I was issued anyway) and I don't believe you'd get that and your bivvy bag comfortably into the bottom compartment of your rucksack, certainly not in a hurry.

The snugpak jacket is an excellent piece of kit which many buy as it doubles as a fleece and norwegian and is less bulky.

The boots issued (Haix) aren't too bad but I don't like the support in them. They seem to collapse or go off to one side which is not good.

No matter how good your boots are the water will most likely get in eventually given time. Sealskinz socks are excellent and I have worn them on two week exercises. Would find it harder to do without them now on long wet exercises.

Gas cookers while not exactly essential make life a lot easier and my pocket rocket has served me well for five or so years now, well worth the 35 quid I paid for it.

Thermos flasks are a luxury item for days on the range / exercises and are not issued.
      A thermal mug is on issue but will not do the same job. I still use the mug too though.

Waterproof winter hats are not on general issue, and only issued to troops in Kosovo (to the best of my knowledge). A good waterproof one similar to the issue one will set you back 30-40 euros. This is something which in my opinion should definitely be on issue.

Swiss Army knives were supposed to go on general issue but don't seem to have filtered down. Many use leatherman type tools as its also handy for cutting open ammo boxes etc.. You need this for living on the ground.

Scarves / headovers aren't on general issue and are pretty important for keeping the cold out.

The torch on issue is too big and impractical for most things I need it for so I use a energizer head torch which cost about 18 or 20 quid.

Head nets are an essential item both home and overseas and are not on issue at home. I normally carry two in case I lose one or some poor unfortunate buddy forgets his.
      I think you need to have words with your CQ, both a stainless steel thermos flask and a head torch are on issue and are very good for the needs of most soldiers. I agree with you on the sleeping bag & Bivvy bag, an absolute abortion of a system, and if you look at the cost per man you will realise just how good a sleeping bag you could have bought yourself, never mind the DF buying thousands and getting a discount
      CRIME SCENE INSTIGATOR

Comment

Originally posted by cooley View Post

Thermos flasks are a luxury item for days on the range / exercises and are not issued. A thermal mug is on issue but will not do the same job. I still use the mug too though.

Most of what you say is quite accurate. When I worked in camping shops in dublin you could always tell the 2 and 5 bn lads who were about to head away somwhere - "story bud, got any dryflow in green?"

In addittion to that we used to legendary fights over drybags between lads who were going on courses, particularly if we were down to the last few.

Going into specifics, the Snugpak code green range were very popular, the softie 6 merlin and softie 9 hawk.

Lightweight Gas Stove? MSR pocket rocket is yer only man, although you do have to be careful of balance.

Waterproof hats? Probably the best one you can get is the lowe alpine mtn cap which you can get in green but quite pricey.

Leatherman - probably the most popular one was the fuse, its relatively affordable compared to the wave or charge.

Your right on most of that stuff. Other popular buys = paracord, camo cream, bungees, kendal mint cake, platypus hydration systems and private purchase boots.
        Head torch - Petzl Tactikka are pretty popular due to having a built in filter

Comment

Nearly all my kit is private purchase.

I can think of very few issue items that I actually use.

Comment

Rifle, Uniform, NVE, comms, Ammo, Flacker,

EVERYTHING else is private purchase.....
            But there's no danger
            It's a professional career
            Though it could be arranged
            With just a word in Mr. Churchill's ear
            If you're out of luck you're out of work
            We could send you to johannesburg.

(Elvis Costello, Olivers Army)

Comment

Working...
            X