Cadetships

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cadetships

Alright, the ads are out, has anyone out there any advice for people trying out for it? (i.e. me!)

And how many here are trying for it?

Anyways, good luck to all!

:-patriot: :-patriot: :-patriot: (I like this smiley)

Mod Edit : To fix the smilies (my mistake)
    If you have to do it, you always have to do it right. Either it makes a difference, or it’s good practice so that when it does make a difference, it gets done right.

-Me.

Alright, let me be more specific, cos I just got out the measuring tape......

1. ....and found out I'm 161.5 cm. required height is 162.56cm. However according to the "information and Rules" brochure......
    Candidates who do not pass the medical examination owing to a medical condition that, in the opinion of the Examining Medical Officer, is capable of being remedied by treatment may be afforded the oppertunity of having that condition rectified within a specified time.
    Would that apply here? I've heard that you can grow that much in a short amount of time if you spend at least half an hour a day hanging upside down by your ankles (also good to do sit-ups in that position as well).

2. I have no idea about my eyes, suffice to say that when I close my right eye, even the "Scroll Lock" key letters on the keyboard get blurry. At present I don't need glasses because my right compensates very well, however if I did get them, I've been told my right eye's existing ability would desintegrate. Any solutions?

replies much appreciated!
    If you have to do it, you always have to do it right. Either it makes a difference, or it’s good practice so that when it does make a difference, it gets done right.

-Me.

Comment

The way things are going for me, I'll be applying for a cadetship next year, and I was wondering if nepotism is still rampant, as I heard that if your not related to someone in the ranks, your screwed.

Comment

1 cm is easily achievable,depending on age. In 1994 I was 5'8 and 3/4, today I am 5'10. Sleeping on a floor or a hard bed before the medical is encouraged,as bad posture can be responsible for serious height loss.
        Nepotism is no longer a big deal,many of the Best Cadets have no family history in the DF,just ability. The process is no longer carried out 100% by the DF, there is a civvy crowd advising and approving all decisions. However once you get in,you will naturally get on better if your da was in the cadet school with the CO of such and such etc..that applies in every job,unfortunately.
        However conco,and I am being most serious here,with all respect to your Beliefs,you will find that such a Pro Nationalist stance,or indeed any political opinions are frowned upon with Potential Officers in the PDF.
        The Common question asked is something to the effect of:
        "If sinn fein held power in government,would you respect their authority?"
        Its a trick question with only one acceptable answer..give it a try.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Originally posted by Goldie fish
          The Common question asked is something to the effect of:
          "If sinn fein held power in government,would you respect their authority?"
          Its a trick question with only one acceptable answer..give it a try.
          Umm.. yes. :-patriot: Wouldn't you?

If I get to an interview, i'll try my best not to mention my political stance, its not like i'm going to join SF, up here you have two choices who to vote, I chose the later.

Comment

While I think of it,about the eyesight thing,it is worth getting your eyes tested locally before even applying for the cadets to save dissapointment down the line. Specsavers or vision express used to do Free ones for the Driving License...you would have a rough Idea where you stand at least. Also of course you could go to your doctor or a proper optician and ask if your eyesight is up to standard.

Conco: The Acceptable answer is "As a Democratically elected government party it would be my duty to follow the orders given,but I would not be comfortable with this while they insisted on operating a private army who do not recognise the lawful authority of the states security forces"

Or as Gene Hackman once said..we are here to protect democracy,not practice it!:-patriot:
            Best of luck to any applicant. Too old and stubborn myself.

Comment

Any other common questions asked, that you know of? It would be good to go in there with a fair notion of what was going to be thrown at you.

Isn't it great that Goldie is so clued up on the ways of the DF?
              I don't believe in love - just friendship + sex

Comment

A female aquaintence of mine went through the process last year up to the Medical, I am trying to remember one question that stumped her..I was blamed for it in any case..
                Something about her friends not wanting her to join..They expect you to have an intelligent question to ask them,but she couldnt think of one so I helped her develop one..on the day of the interview she got a less than positive response from the board..and naturally blamed me...

Comment

So Goldie,
                  she needed to ask them a question and you reccommended that she ask them - my friends don't want me to join but what do you think? bascially. They obviously didn't like this????? Have I got that right?

Can you remember what other stuff she was asked?

Comment

Unfortunately I have tried to erase all memory of her from my mind..
                    I think you met her..

Comment

Ok, I don't recall meeting anyone. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

now, lie on the couch and tell me what you remember. You don't have to think of her in order to think of the questions.

Comment

The question we rehearsed was something to the effect of..
                        "My friends think the army is no career for a woman..I know this is not the case but what should I tell them to convince them that it is?"
                        She messed it up and pissed off the female member of the panel. It was all my fault...tho she couldnt think of anything herself(had me up all night the night before preparing it with her.....)

AArgh...flashbacks..

Comment

So, the advice to anyone thinking of applying is 'DON'T prepare with Goldie' (HA)

Comment

OK im 26, and ive A DEGREE. the age limits are 25 or under, any way around this? ive heard a rumour that if your in the RDF and apply to transfer to PDF they sometimes make an exception if your age is close enough. Is this true? i really want a cadetship if i can get one. ( i dont want navy, i know thats 27 for enlisted men)

your help is much appreciated.
                            "He is an enemy officer taken in battle and entitled to fair treatment."
                            "No, sir. He's a sergeant, and they don't deserve no respect at all, sir. I should know. They're cunning and artful, if they're any good. I wouldn't mind if he was an officer, sir. But sergeants are clever."

Comment

Sorry Morpeheus The Upper age for the Cadetship is UNDER 23 before 31st of October THIS year RDF Personnel Do NOT get 2 years Leeway anymore, Check the Brochure! I did and also asked the Cadet at this years Oportunities Showcase in the RDS, I'm too old now although I didnt find out till last week.

For anyone "older" going for it a difficult question I was asked in the final interview was, how would I cope with being Stuck with 30 17 year olds for 21 Months? (I was 22 at the Time) There was a question I wasn't expecting!
                              Friends Come and Go, but Enemies accumulate!!

Comment

Working...
                              X