Sisu driving

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sisu driving

Hi i am new,2 the boards. I spent 22 years in the cav and was a driver and gunner in my unit. I love the armoured cars the AML 90 especally, but of all the cars i have drove the SISU was by far the greatest. Does anybody share the same ?

Welcome to the board Shane- sorry to hear about your Cav infliction-

I always liked the SISU- they were a comfortable vehicle to go around the Leb in

especially after the Panhard- I liked the ground clearance on it- it would give you a safe feeling in

areas of IED's.

AS I said welcoem to the board-
    Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
    Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
    The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
    The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
    The best lack all conviction, while the worst
    Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

Hi Shane,

Welcome to the board.

Do the DF still use SISU's?

I saw one once in Clonmel - late 90's.

Awesome looking piece of kit.
      'History is a vast early warning system'. Norman Cousins

Comment

Originally posted by spider View Post
        Hi Shane,

Welcome to the board.

Do the DF still use SISU's?

I saw one once in Clonmel - late 90's.

Awesome looking piece of kit.

They have two in the Cav School in the Curragh for training purpose but we don't use them Overseas.

Comment

SISU's have more or less gone with the introduction of the Mowag into
          DF service
          "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

always liked the SISU- they were a comfortable vehicle to go around the Leb in
            Spoken like true gravel agitator who if he wasn't looking rear ward in a vehicle that didn't remind him of his pram felt uncomfortable,

From one of those who got to sit in the front seat.

Lets just say , the truck history of Sisu just made it some what easier.Only drove a sisu once , but it was a dream in comparrison to AMLs.
            Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

shame we couldn't keep them in service (they weren't that old were they?were they actually owned by the UN not us?)

they'd have made a great platform for mortar platoons!

Comment

The DF bought 2, this were kept in the Curragh to train on before the crews were deployed with UNIFIL.

Those used in Lebanon were owned by the UN.

Comment

Originally posted by DeV View Post
                  The DF bought 2, this were kept in the Curragh to train on before the crews were deployed with UNIFIL.

Those used in Lebanon were owned by the UN.
                  thought so!

my uncle always had good things to say about it in the leb

Comment

they are still going strong in Afghan:

(Estonian Army)
                    RGJ

...Once a Rifleman - Always a Rifleman... Celer et Audax

The Rifles

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalGreenJacket View Post
                      they are still going strong in Afghan:

(Estonian Army)
                      That pic was taken in Iraq not Afghanistan.

Comment

i'm not sure it was as i didn't take it but to keep you happy - this one was taken in Afghan:

i can see you obviously prefer pictures more than words.
                        Last edited by RoyalGreenJacket; 17 January 2010, 17:47.
                        RGJ

...Once a Rifleman - Always a Rifleman... Celer et Audax

The Rifles

Comment

RGJ how hoes it stack up against newer designs?

Comment

s
                            hame we couldn't keep them in service (they weren't that old were they?were they actually owned by the UN not us?)

they'd have made a great platform for mortar platoons!
                            registered in 91 so in the grand scheme of things not really that old.

Why didn't we buy more or keep them in service, well the two are still in service to be used by the cav school at shoots.

Why not...dated of limited use and capability in comparsion to Mowag.Old design with features that didn't lend toward where the army wanted to be regarding technology.

Good machine, basic enough relatively soldier proof but not quite as adapatable as the Mowag.

They became redundant as have the AMLs within the cavalry role. Most new Cav drivers(PDF) don't even qualify on AMLs any more and go straight to mowags.

There will probably come a time where the RDF will be the only people able to operate the AML, although it shouldn't be that way. If the PDF can't use them, neither should the RDF.
                            Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Any Driver I know who have driven both Sisu and Mowag, prefer the Sisu

Comment

Working...
                              X