Ex-Corporal Mick O'Brien, 28th Bn.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ex-Corporal Mick O'Brien, 28th Bn.

Sadly, I have received word by email that Mick O'Brien, originally from County Mayo and who served for many years as a Corporal with Regimental Signals of H.Q. Company, 28th Bn, Finner Camp was found passed away in his apartment in Dublin.

Tragically, his death seems to have occurred sometime ago but it went unnoticed.

May he + Rest In Peace +

Big Mick O'Brien was one of my instructors on my Regimental Signals Course,

as well as being the Instructor on my 84mm Anti-Tank Course,

he was always willing to take extra time to explain details over and again to those who

were slow to pick up the first time around, in matters of discipline he was very fair-minded

and was always willing to settle any dispute without referring to a 117 Charge sheet.

And I well remember the time a certain corporal decided to climb the big Radio Mast which stood over the old wooden Hut Com-centre and adjoining Patrol room one night after a visit to the pubs of Bundoran, to lament his lack of love-life, Mike who was patrol 2 i/c donning his steel helmet in bed in case the corporal with the aid if gravity came through the roof, his advice to others in the room to do the same as it was better to be safe than sorry. After much persuasion the corporal descended from the mast into the hands of the P.A.'s.

Mike, may you be at Peace in Gods kind care, and if the O/C up there needs a good soldier for a patrol you will be one of the first choices.

Rest In Peace
    "Fellow-soldiers of the Irish Republican Army, I have just received a communication from Commandant Pearse calling on us to surrender and you will agree with me that this is the hardest task we have been called upon to perform during this eventful week, but we came into this fight for Irish Independence in obedience to the commands of our higher officers and now in obedience to their wishes we must surrender. I know you would, like myself, prefer to be with our comrades who have already fallen in the fight - we, too, should rather die in this glorious struggle than submit to the enemy." Volunteer Captain Patrick Holahan to 58 of his men at North Brunswick Street, the last group of the Four Courts Garrison to surrender, Sunday 30 April 1916.

Comment

Rip
      courage, endurance, mateship and sacrifice

Comment

Rest in Peace
        I went into an Italian restaurant and ordered dessert and they gave me tiramisu and a blindfolded horse and I said No, I said mask a pony (mascarpone)

Comment

Rip

Comment

Rest in Peace,

Condoleneces to family friends and colleagues.
            Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Nice words CS-

Its sad to see a lad go unnoticed like that- but your tale will make sure that even though he is gone- he wont be forgotten.

RIP
              Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
              Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
              The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
              The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
              The best lack all conviction, while the worst
              Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

R i p
                "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

Rip

Comment

Rip
                    Bohs till I die

Comment

Iam deepley saddned to read of the death of my good friend Mick O' Brien who i served with in finner camp a true gentleman my condolances to all his familey may he rest in peace.
                      Last edited by seven.sixtwo; 18 June 2010, 01:12.

What good is in youth when it's ageing what joy are in eyes that cant see when there's sorrow in sunshine and flowers and only our rivers run free.

Comment

Working...
                      X