X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fouga Magisters with ordinance

29-09-03
    Hi guys!
    I have a question you fly-boys may be able to help me with.
    I am modelling a 1/48 scale kit of the Fouga Magister as an Irish Air Corps plane.
    A friend of mine recently showed me a photo he had taken a few years ago of several Irish Fougas at either Shannon or Dublin airport and they were sporting some form of underwing ordinance.
    Anybody know what this might have been and why they had them, as I'd love to be to "kit-bash" the model and add these pieces to the Magsiter for a certain authenticity.
    Thanks in advance.
    Liam
    yeehah1@eircom.net

AFAIK....

The Fouga could carry two 6-round 68mm SNEB rocket launchers, one under each wing, and two AA52 machine guns in the nose.
    "The dolphins were monkeys that didn't like the land, walked back to the water, went back from the sand."

Comment

Hi Yeehah,

You'll find 2 pictures of a Fouga armed with rocket pods on IrishAirPics.com/. Also, in one of the pictures the Fouga is armed with two machine guns in the nose. I'll post links to the pictures later when I get a chance.

Regards,

Frank.
      IrishAirPics.com - Your source for thousands of Irish Aviation Photographs
      http://www.irishairpics.com

Comment

30-09-03
        Thanks for the reply FMolloy. I am surprised to hear they had guns as well. I have seen the one stored in the FAS facility in Shannon ( 218 ) and I have some nice photos of it. There are on the nose two positions that ae covered and closed and I always assumed that was were the guns might go.
        I just thought they had "deleted" them.
        Would I be correct to say these covers would not have been present when the Fougas were in active service?
        Any photos of the Fougas with the machine guns showing?
        Liam

Comment

30-09-03
          Hey Frank.
          That was quick!:-patriot: Thanks a lot!
          Liam

Comment

Normally the guns were not fitted, the nose of the aircraft appeared as you saw it, with the gun positions closed. When required, the the guns were fitted in the nose, the blanking panels were removed & the barrels protruded out from positions.
            "The dolphins were monkeys that didn't like the land, walked back to the water, went back from the sand."

Comment

Hi Yeehah,

Here are the links to the two pictures I mentioned:

Picture 1, rocket pods & guns (If you want I can send you a bigger version of this picture)

And

Picture 2

And here is a link to a close up of the covered up gun ports on the nose:

Picture 3

Is there any chance you'd be able to send me on the pictures of that Fouga in Shannon with the intention of putting them on the IrishAirPics.com website?

You can upload the pictures here: http://www.irishairpics.com/submissions.html

Regards,

Frank.

Comment

30-09-03
                Dear Frank, I would love to have these displayed for all to see. There are 26 pictures in all and each is roughly1.2mb in size.
                Advise please?

Liam

Comment

30-09-03
                  Dear Frank:
                  Yes, can you send me a larger version of pic. one ( the one with the machine guns and rockets? What is the difference between the SNEB 68 mm rockets and the Matra 70mm?

Tahnks in advance.
                  Liam

Comment

Hi Liam,

I've replied to your email and sent you on the larger picture of the Fouga. I'll post some of those Fouga pics you sent me in the next few days.

Regards,

Frank.

Comment

Here are some close up shots

Latest news coverage, email, free stock quotes, live scores and video are just the beginning. Discover more every day at Yahoo!

Latest news coverage, email, free stock quotes, live scores and video are just the beginning. Discover more every day at Yahoo!

Comment

here you go

Comment

20-10-03
                          Dear Dangermouse:
                          My God! These are excellent!
                          Thank you so very much, this is much more than I could have hoped for. I noticed on the posts that you may have had other shots?
                          Please can you post a few more, especially of the machine guns, prehaps a frontal or more profile shot?

Again, thank you. It's good to see the teeth these aircraft had at one point.
                          Liam]
                          :-patriot:

Comment

Great site dangermouse. Is it yours?
                            However the geocites domain as a host has huge limitations on bandwidth and is down for most of the time,once you reach your limit(about 10 vews an hour if you have lots of photos). Also it is not possible to direct link geocities images to a site like this one.
                            May I suggest you change your webhosting service?
                            IMO can put you in touch with an excellent provider at minimal cost. With an irish military url.
                            Failing that you could use something like eircom or iol,but they are troublesome..

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

i'll get some more pics to you 2nite

Comment

Working...
                              X