Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMLs firing........

Hi all,
    I was looking at a vid of one firing it's 90mm main gun, on YouToob.That gun recoiled bloody smartly! I'd say you probably have to tighten every bolt in the vehicle afterwards.What was it like inside when that yoke fired?
    regards
    GttC

Fun
    What are you cackling at, fatty? Too much pie, that's your problem.

Comment

Ever been in a head on collision? Similar! Oh and all the air gets sucked out of your lungs too.

Any Link? I used to have a clip up but because the CoS was a flat earther it had to come down.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Hi there,
        Sorry, I dont know how to do the linky thing. I happened to be looking at some old pics of an AML and YouTubed AML and found a 30 second clip of a firing sequence. It looks like the breech recoils to within an inch of the back of the turret!
        regards
        GttC

Comment

Just found this one - it's a 33 second clip, you spend the first 27 seconds waiting for something to happen

'He died who loved to live,' they'll say,
          'Unselfishly so we might have today!'
          Like hell! He fought because he had to fight;
          He died that's all. It was his unlucky night.
          http://www.salamanderoasis.org/poems...nnis/luck.html

Comment

J
            ust found this one - it's a 33 second clip, you spend the first 27 seconds waiting for something to happen
            And then you shit yourself...just like the real thing!!
            Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Is it a bit click - wait - bang then?

While we're on the subject, can anybody point me at any websites giving the performance, ammo types etc for the 90 mm gun used. Not if it breaches opsec obviously, just idle curiosity on my part. I've tried googgling it but to no effect.
              Last edited by Flamingo; 24 February 2010, 23:07.
              'He died who loved to live,' they'll say,
              'Unselfishly so we might have today!'
              Like hell! He fought because he had to fight;
              He died that's all. It was his unlucky night.
              http://www.salamanderoasis.org/poems...nnis/luck.html

Comment

I thought it was a Belgian Cockerill 90mm, but it seems to be a 90mm GIAT F1 gun. Variety of ammunition available.

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. Margaret Mead

Comment

I believe a variant of it was put on the AMX-10P

You will never have a quiet world until you knock the patriotism out of the human race

Comment

Thats the Cockcerill gun, the Giat Gun has a different Muzzle break and the mantlet is different,

the AML shown in the clip has the Giat Gun,

Dead give away when its about to fire is to hear the fume extract fans kicking, the whine..before the shot is taken.

Its instant bang when the pedal is pushed, ( pressure on a foot pedal being the trigger mech,)just the video clip doesn't give the idication that the car is prepped to fire. We mount a red flag on the turret when the car is firing, no such indication on this one.. the whine being the only clue.
                    Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Link to interior firing in AML 90. ( from 2.00 into clip )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZtU9...eature=related

Comment

Hi there,
                        Nice vid. Car does jump about a bit on firing.Did they mean to have the side doors open?
                        regards
                        GttC

Comment

I reckon the doors had to be left open so the percussion generated inside the turret would damage the camera.

Turret hatches are normally left open here.

You can judge the amount of force generated by the blast when the door swings open...especially the one with the wheel mounted on it which is seriously heavy.

Comment

were there suposed to be upgrading the scorpion with a 90mm cockceril

Comment

The Belgians and indonesians operated the 90mm upgrade version.

The intention here was to re engine the vehicle to diesel witha steyr upgrade package.he out come of this has never been made public although I did here that one was trialled.

Given the cost of conversion of the AMLs to Diesel I would say that its very much on hold as within five years of the conversions in the AML fleet the whole fleet is obselete with Mowags in their various versions being the prime AFV of choice in the DF.

I do know that the last Cavalry intake in the Curragh went straight to driving Mowags as opposed to AMLs which was always titled as a core skill. Those who went to the Tank squadron being specifically trained on the Scorpion.

The PDF squadrons outside the Curragh still use the AMLs as do the RDF squadrons but apart from being a two tier DF, its now becoming a two tier Cav, with all of the Cav specific vehicles being held in the one location.

So to get away from the old Brigade structure should all Cav related units now be centralised to for maybe two or three full units at a location where all the gear is?

Comment

Working...
                              X