The metrosexual side of getting fit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The metrosexual side of getting fit

Hopefully I'm not the only one on here who works hard on their fitness training wise but is absolutely shit when it comes to the nutrition side, my knowledge extends to steering clear of fast food and limiting anything with a high calorie count, I've read a fair bit about healthy eating but it all goes over my hollow head

Maybe we can use this space for members to share stuff they know or any tips or whatever they might have

Afraid the best I've got to get the ball rolling is, buying tins of fruit to boost your 5 a day, they're cheap taste good, and a tin can be opened and then stuck in the fridge for later making it even easier to eat with no peeling or any of that jazz

I've started packing my own lunch for work. I always include about 3 portions of fruit, and a sandwich. Saves me a small fortune, I'm then not tempted to buy a breakfast or fried chicken roll, and I will eat the fruit as it's there. I don't think I ever bought fruit when I went out for lunch. The down side is that I don't have a reason to leave the office midday, as I eat at my desk.

Comment

I started off this way until a friend of mine (powerlifter) gave me a book on nutritional info.

Just like the Simpsons episode where homer goes from one book to the next in decreasing complexity eventually ending up with a dictionary, this is the way I learnt my info.

Start with a good high level source of info that covers the sector of fitness your into.

Read it and words you didn't understand or hear about, research them one at a time. Dictionary first then onto a couple of basic info pieces.

Once you've gone through this, read the article again and see if you can follow it this time.

Repeat.

Works for me.
      "The Question is not: how far you will take this? The Question is do you possess the constitution to go as far as is needed?"

Comment

Originally posted by CS Gass View Post
        Hopefully I'm not the only one on here who works hard on their fitness training wise but is absolutely shit when it comes to the nutrition side, my knowledge extends to steering clear of fast food and limiting anything with a high calorie count, I've read a fair bit about healthy eating but it all goes over my hollow head

Maybe we can use this space for members to share stuff they know or any tips or whatever they might have

Afraid the best I've got to get the ball rolling is, buying tins of fruit to boost your 5 a day, they're cheap taste good, and a tin can be opened and then stuck in the fridge for later making it even easier to eat with no peeling or any of that jazz
        Tin fruit is normally has a very high sugar content-

all the good work may be to no avail
        Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
        Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
        The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
        The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
        The best lack all conviction, while the worst
        Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

If you have the patience and time to go through it, the following is an excellent source:
          Sport Australia is determined to have more Australians participating and excelling in sport, from grass-roots right up to the pinnacle of elite competition.

A very basic level of nutrition would be helpful for that site but not essential.

Comment

Eating healthily isn't rocket science (I'm on a health kick at the moment :P)

limit caffiene intake
            cut out the shite
            get your fresh fruit and don't over-cook your veggies
            where possible, remove refined carbs like white bread from your diet
            porridge is great
            as is lean meat (you feel fuller for longer)
            thick soup also makes you feel fuller for longer (eat a meat and 2 meal with a glass of water or add the water to the same meal and make it a soup - the soup keeps you full for longer)
            sky has lots of diet and nutrition programmes in the 240+ channel numbers
            kiwis are lovely and full of vitamin C while also being reasonably high in potassium
            pineapple makes a nice snack and they seem to be going cheap these days (about 2 euro a pop). Just spend 5 minutes cutting off the skin stuff and chopping it up and hey presto, snacks for a few days
            ryvita are almost negative calories while still being filling
            I make nice vegetable soup
            Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.
            Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.
            Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?
            Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?

Comment

A kiwi has more mg of Vit C per 100 grams than an orange believe it or not (98mg/100g for the Kiwi vs 53mg/100g for the orange)
              What are you cackling at, fatty? Too much pie, that's your problem.

Comment

Originally posted by ODIN View Post
                A kiwi has more mg of Vit C per 100 grams than an orange believe it or not (98mg/100g for the Kiwi vs 53mg/100g for the orange)
                +1

Juicers are cheap. I bought one for the New Year and I juice carrots mainly. A half litre of carrot juice takes on average about 8 carrots (five a day anyone?).

Avoid juices that you buy in supermarkets no matter what it says on the packet. Most are made from concentrate which accounts for about 13% of what's in the carton. The other 87% is mostly sugar and a mix of other juices. This applies for all juices in cartons.

Cornflakes are extremely high in sugar and salt.

Aldi sell rye bread that has no wheat content and is an excellent replacement for white or even "brown" bread.
                The worst sin toward our fellow creatures is not to hate them, but to be indifferent to them: that's the essence of inhumanity.
                (George Bernard Shaw, Playwright, 1856 - 1950)

Comment

For anyone in the know, is drinking raw eggs a healthy alternative to protein shakes? I've heard that if the shell is washed the risk of salmonella is near zero. Is this true?

Comment

For anyone in the know, is drinking raw eggs a healthy alternative to protein shakes? I've heard that if the shell is washed the risk of salmonella is near zero. Is this true?
                    As a doctor said to me once, "Eggs are great, until you cook them".

I've been threatening to try it sometime I just haven't the cajones at the moment.
                    The worst sin toward our fellow creatures is not to hate them, but to be indifferent to them: that's the essence of inhumanity.
                    (George Bernard Shaw, Playwright, 1856 - 1950)

Comment

You can powdered eggs aswell

This might help with fear of being glued to the jax bowl.

This article summarizes a quantitative microbial risk assessment designed to characterize the public health impact of consumption of shell eggs and egg products contaminated with Salmonella Enteritidis (SE). This risk assessment's objectives were to: (1) establish the baseline risk of foodborne illn …
                      "The Question is not: how far you will take this? The Question is do you possess the constitution to go as far as is needed?"

Comment

Originally posted by ZULU View Post
                        You can powdered eggs aswell

This might help with fear of being glued to the jax bowl.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1...?dopt=Abstract
                        Cheers ZULU thats a good alternative, think I'll give some manky egg shakes a go and see what happens

Comment

No.
                          The risk of salmonella may decrease somewhat by washing the shell but the fact of the matter is that the bioavailibility more than triples when cooked.
                          It's a stupid myth that really only exists because several raw eggs could be downed in a glass in a few seconds while you would have to go through the bother of cooking and eating the eggs otherwise.

And in what way are protein shakes unhealthy...?

Comment

Started eating porridge daily instead of Dunes own Special K. Found I was fuller longer and wanted less for lunch and didn't snack, lost 3 kg in a few weeks from that alone.

Comment

Originally posted by Jereth View Post
                              And in what way are protein shakes unhealthy...?
                              Even a relatively healthy diet will bring in the amount of protein you need, that sort of excess burdens the kidneys dangerously

Look at how many athletes particularly ones needing a lot of muscle mass fcuked up their kidneys

From what I've read over the last week or so, the protein shakes thing is up for debate but I'm inclined to side with the 'steer clear' crowd

Comment

Working...
                              X