Comet tank markings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comet tank markings

Hi all , wondering if anybody can throw some light on the subject of Comet tanks in service with the PDF and the markings used.

1st - the Reg plates when the Comets came into active service. Where the black background with white lettering and numbering OR black background with silver/metal lettering & numbering?

2nd question pertains to the pix below. As far as I knew the Comets in Irish service did not carry any markings but yet this one seems to have a unit marking / insignia on the rear side of the turret.

Would anybody know what it is? To me it looks like a black circle with a possible red fist.

Any help would be most welcome and appreciated to a avid AFV modeller & lover of Irish Army AFV's

Best regards

Måk

Mak, from what you describe it sounds like thew old 1st Tank sqn flash.

Comment

from
      "Attack your attic with a Steyr....as seen on the Late Late Show..."

Comment

There you go Mak..had a fair idea that it was that alright but it never reappeared on the restored models.
        Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

The lower emblem is from the 1980's. I thought the Comets were retired in the 70's - if so, what were 1 Tank Sqn equipped with?
          "Attack your attic with a Steyr....as seen on the Late Late Show..."

Comment

If memory serves , my old pln sgt was from the tank squadron and he told us that the unit was stood down and re activated when the scorpion came into service. Rather than form a 2nd tank squadron they held a ceremony and passed on the unit colours .
            Anyone need a spleen ?

Comment

A neighbour of mine tells me different. There were 2 tanks in strength. One was in running order, the other wasn't.From 1973 onwards 1 Tank Squadron were heavily involved in the design and introduction into service of the Timoney APCs from 1975 onwards. Most of its personell had moved with the other Armoured unit in the Curragh, 4 Cavalry Squadron to Longford due to the security situation. When the Scorpions eventually entered service in 1980, the tankers returned to tanks, and the APC crowd became part of 1st Armoured Car squadron with the newish Panhard AML90 and Timoney Mk VI.

And that is a whole other story LINKY.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Why does the tank on the flash look like a Panther

Comment

Search goes on..

Hi lads , thanks for the contributions so far. Looking at the shoulder flashes I cannot make the connection with what appears on them and the marking on the tank. It looks more like a fist / gauntlet angled forward to my eyes.

The Curragh show is coming up next week , I may be able to glean some info there.
                  The marking situation is a bit like the eagles / hawks head that appeared on some of the AML's in the past - never knew about it until I seen a photo.

Best

Paul

Comment

1 Tank Squadron was based in the Curragh so maybe its the DFTC flash.

Attached Files

Comment

Long shot - but if they are ex BA tanks could it be a RAC mailed fist?

'History is a vast early warning system'. Norman Cousins

Comment

Or 20 Armd Brigade insignia?

'History is a vast early warning system'. Norman Cousins

Comment

I'm sticking withe firsts tank flash. Its a clenched fist as the flash. You won't glean to much from the army in the curragh at the Mil vehicles show as after last year one group dropped a clanger and thecav is particular are being very cool about the whole thing.

Your best bet would be to wait until Cav day in August, last weekend, wangle an invite and get some of the xers to come up with an answer. Given very few will have even served on Comets at this stage , contacting the school directly might be best bet
                          Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

what clanger was droped at last year show

Comment

One group had a vehicle on loan from the Army for display purposes and failed to take proper care of it. Director of cav comes in on Monday Morning said sme M3 Pnahard still sitting in the race course since weekend with no effort to ensure its security so Low loader dispatched and Panhard M3 taken back into Army care.

It had ben on loan to a UN representitive group under terms and conditions for some time but when army saw it wasn't being lookafter they took it back.Army very slow to have interaction with such groups in the future.

As told to me by the man who ordered its repossesion, since retired.

Comment

Working...
                              X