Captain Edward 'Ned' Roche

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Captain Edward 'Ned' Roche

It is with severe regret and profound sorrow that I am reporting that Captain Ned Roche died last night while on duty with the Reserve Defence Forces.

My sincerest sympathies go out to his family, friends and commrades. A true giant of a man and his untimely death is a massive blow to the company.

While in time, his position may be filled, Ned will never be replaced.

Ar dheis Dé go raibh a anam dílis.

May you rest in peace Sir.
    Last edited by ZULU; 9 May 2010, 21:07.
    "The Question is not: how far you will take this? The Question is do you possess the constitution to go as far as is needed?"

Rest in Peace
    "Fellow-soldiers of the Irish Republican Army, I have just received a communication from Commandant Pearse calling on us to surrender and you will agree with me that this is the hardest task we have been called upon to perform during this eventful week, but we came into this fight for Irish Independence in obedience to the commands of our higher officers and now in obedience to their wishes we must surrender. I know you would, like myself, prefer to be with our comrades who have already fallen in the fight - we, too, should rather die in this glorious struggle than submit to the enemy." Volunteer Captain Patrick Holahan to 58 of his men at North Brunswick Street, the last group of the Four Courts Garrison to surrender, Sunday 30 April 1916.

Comment

Rip

Comment

Sad to see when a comrade goes-

RIP
        Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
        Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
        The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
        The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
        The best lack all conviction, while the worst
        Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

A huge loss, to the Unit, and the greater RDF family, as well as his own.

He was my platoon Sgt when I was a recruit back in 1988. He remembered us all, twenty odd years on.
          As he gained rank, he just seemed to be in better humour all the time.
          He is a gap that will be impossible to fill.

R.I.P.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Rip

Comment

rest in peace
              I went into an Italian restaurant and ordered dessert and they gave me tiramisu and a blindfolded horse and I said No, I said mask a pony (mascarpone)

Comment

Only a couple of days ago myself and a couple of the lads talked about the idea of the man becoming the CO of our unit in the future, and how we looked forward to the prospect if it ever came to pass.

Rest in peace, sir.

Comment

R.i.p.

Comment

RIP Sir.

Comment

RIP , deepest condolances to his wife and young family
                      "take a look to the sky right before you die, its the last time you will"

Comment

Rip
                        Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat.

Comment

Which "Ned"? I knew one who was a Sgt in 23 Bn, FCA.Is that him?
                          regards
                          GttC

Comment

RIP Sir.

Comment

RIP, condolences to his family, friends and comrades.
                              'He died who loved to live,' they'll say,
                              'Unselfishly so we might have today!'
                              Like hell! He fought because he had to fight;
                              He died that's all. It was his unlucky night.
                              http://www.salamanderoasis.org/poems...nnis/luck.html

Comment

Working...
                              X