Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ukraine will NOT be joining NATO

Ukraine drops Nato membership pursuit

Ukraine formally stopped pursuing NATO membership as an aim, with its foreign minister declaring the issue had been taken off the policy agenda.

the full article can be viewed here:

www - Ukraine and NATO

that could spice things up a bit in the future...
    RGJ

...Once a Rifleman - Always a Rifleman... Celer et Audax

The Rifles

GAS is powerul

Comment

I've actually found Ukraine's current government to be pursuing a more independent course if anything. They took a few expected moves like turning away from NATO membership (although they do want to maintain engagement with them on some level) and even renewing the Russian Navy lease in Sevastopol. However, they also rejected Russia's proposal in which Gazprom would subsume their oil conglomerate and want to make economic pacts with the EU. They're taking a Serbia-like approach to the East-West issue I'd say.
      "Everyone's for a free Tibet, but no one's for freeing Tibet." -Mark Steyn. What an IMO-centric quote, eh?

Comment

There was fist fighting in the house of parliment when its government decided to extend the Russian Naval lease of sevastopol. The current Govt is not independant, it just leans more to the Pro Russian east of the country, instead of the Pro European Ukranian Speaking west.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
          There was fist fighting in the house of parliment when its government decided to extend the Russian Naval lease of sevastopol. The current Govt is not independant, it just leans more to the Pro Russian east of the country, instead of the Pro European Ukranian Speaking west.
          I mean that in the sense that I don't think they've become an extension of Russia as much as many thought they would. Yes, they turned toward Russia in some ways, but they're still retaining their own direction in others.
          "Everyone's for a free Tibet, but no one's for freeing Tibet." -Mark Steyn. What an IMO-centric quote, eh?

Comment

That is because the country is split down the middle between those who lean to the west and those who prefer the old days.
            In reality, Russia only wants the use of the ports, as it guarantees the fleet can put to sea all year round. The remainder of the country interests the Kremlin little.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
              That is because the country is split down the middle between those who lean to the west and those who prefer the old days.
              In reality, Russia only wants the use of the ports, as it guarantees the fleet can put to sea all year round. The remainder of the country interests the Kremlin little.
              I understand what Russia wants, but Yanukovych has not turned into a salivating dog toward Moscow the way Yushchenko did toward the West. Many observers expected Ukraine to do a complete 180--regardless of how Moscow reciprocated--and that simply did not happen.

Comment

Working...
              X