Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Getting out of damaged vehicles, especially AFVs.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting out of damaged vehicles, especially AFVs.

Hi all,
    Out of curiosity, do DF personnel practise getting out of closed AFVs in the event of fire/crash/impact? Does any Army?
    regards
    GttC

I dunno about the DF but the americans had an issue with their up armoured humvee's. Due to the weight of the doors they couldn't be opened if there was an accident or IED so they fitted D rings to the doors so another vehicle could literally rip the door(s) open.

Last edited by paul; 4 June 2010, 21:17.
    Don't stand there GAWPING, like you've never seen the hand of God BEFORE!!

Comment

liking the sun canopy. standard no doubt
      I knew a simple soldier boy.....
      Who grinned at life in empty joy,
      Slept soundly through the lonesome dark,
      And whistled early with the lark.

In winter trenches, cowed and glum,
      With crumps and lice and lack of rum,
      He put a bullet through his brain.
      And no one spoke of him again.

You smug-faced crowds with kindling eye
      Who cheer when soldier lads march by,
      Sneak home and pray you'll never know
      The hell where youth and laughter go.

Comment

The "Sun canopy" also stops people dropping grenades into the gunners's hatch.

We have a rollover trainer (actual vehicle body that is on a structure that allows it to be rolled over at any angle. It also has cameras inside so the operator can watch the hilarity inside). I've done the HUMVEE one and one of MRAP series ones. Obviously the rollover is done at a slow pace but you get the concept of how to get out of the vehicles. The one thing it does teach you is how much it would suck if it was for real.
        There may be only one time in your life when your country will call upon you and you will be the only one who can do the nasty job that has to be done -- do it or forever after there will be the taste of ashes in your mouth.

Comment

see, that wouldnt have even occurred to me. good job i dont design AFV's
          I knew a simple soldier boy.....
          Who grinned at life in empty joy,
          Slept soundly through the lonesome dark,
          And whistled early with the lark.

In winter trenches, cowed and glum,
          With crumps and lice and lack of rum,
          He put a bullet through his brain.
          And no one spoke of him again.

You smug-faced crowds with kindling eye
          Who cheer when soldier lads march by,
          Sneak home and pray you'll never know
          The hell where youth and laughter go.

Comment

Originally posted by ARNGScout View Post
            We have a rollover trainer (actual vehicle body that is on a structure that allows it to be rolled over at any angle.
            Did you train at the one on Camp Shelby ?

We don't have the rollover trainers, but we do have casualty extraction trg from vehicles, based on our experience in Afg.
            "On the plains of hesitation, bleach the bones of countless millions, who on the very dawn of victory, laid down to rest, and in resting died.

Never give up!!"

Comment

Couldn't rind the actual legitimate video the US army released about this form of training I seen a while ago, but this video at least gives an idea.

Training to escape a Humvee rollover
              Don't stand there GAWPING, like you've never seen the hand of God BEFORE!!

Comment

I remember having a look inside an AML one time and asked the guy about emergency egress. He said, "There's five ways out of this car and I've tried them all". Now, he didn't elaborate whether the main gun would block the driver's hatch or if the heavy side doors would be too heavy to open if the car was on it's side.
                regards
                GttC

Comment

Its actually one of th eeasier to get out of... unless it rolls onto its right, against a wall...

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Out through the drivers hatch space is not for the fainthearted or those who may not be as agile as they thing but its one on the options .Leave the helmet on while en route.

I've done it its easier than getting out thought the turret if both side doors can't be opened
                    Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Originally posted by GoneToTheCanner View Post
                      Hi all,
                      Out of curiosity, do DF personnel practise getting out of closed AFVs in the event of fire/crash/impact? Does any Army?
                      regards
                      GttC
                      from what i'm told - we have a difficult enough job keeping people in the vehicle when the Jackal encounters such incidents!

to be honest though, i was Mechanised Infantry (Saxon) for a few years as well as Armoured Infantry (Warrior) for a short while and we never really practiced a 'roll-over' but we did practice evacuating from the vehicle from within a minefield / under covering fire etc.

we did more training on extracting casualties from a vehicle than actually extracting ourselves from that vehicle.

i like that US Army roll over simulator though.
                      RGJ

...Once a Rifleman - Always a Rifleman... Celer et Audax

The Rifles

Comment

Did you train at the one on Camp Shelby ?
                        I've trained in a few at this point. The first one was a Humvee trainer in Ft. Dix NJ. The next one (MRAP) was at Mob in Indiana and then we had to do it again in-country (RG31)before we were allowed to go outside the wire. A few good lessons out of it but the main one was secure your sh1t in the vehicle. They had foam ammo boxes and fire extinguishers in there and even at the slow rollover speed they pinged around. Nothing will ruin your day more that being hit in the head by an unsecured .50 Cal ammo box - hard to walk that off.

The reasoning is that we were getting a lot of injuries in rollovers from people not wearing seatbelts etc. Most were afraid of not being able to get out of a veh if they need to - so this training helps with giving people a little more confidence in self-extraction. The big lesson is for the gunners and making sure they wear their restraint. A few gunners have been killed after being ejected from a vehicle travelling at speed and hitting an IED.

It's worthwhile training IMHO.
                        There may be only one time in your life when your country will call upon you and you will be the only one who can do the nasty job that has to be done -- do it or forever after there will be the taste of ashes in your mouth.

Comment

It's worthwhile training IMHO.
                          absolutely, and i'd like to see a lot more of it in our army.
                          RGJ

...Once a Rifleman - Always a Rifleman... Celer et Audax

The Rifles

Comment

Agreed - RGJ. Anyone working in those type of tactical vehicles should do similar training.

The other piece of kit we were issued with was a tool to cut the seatbelts in case the mechanism gets jammed.

Comment

The reasoning is that we were getting a lot of injuries in rollovers from people not wearing seatbelts etc. Most were afraid of not being able to get out of a veh if they need to - so this training helps with giving people a little more confidence in self-extraction. The big lesson is for the gunners and making sure they wear their restraint. A few gunners have been killed after being ejected from a vehicle travelling at speed and hitting an IED.
                              Issuing emergency knives might be useful. You stay restrained by the seatbelt, but can cut yourself / others free if necessary. http://www.zxsports.co.uk/new-fire-f...t349r-57-p.asp

4- or 5-point seatbelts are much better than three point ones.
                              Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. Margaret Mead

Comment

Working...
                              X