Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Britain's Secret Engineers

Defence related I guess.

Camera's follow workers at defence contractor QinetiQ, on a global journey, as they reveal a handful of their secretive projects. The crew meet the scientists and engineers building robots to diffuse Afghanistan's deadly roadside bombs and learn how they're adapting them to help in dangerous civilian situations in the UK. They find out how British experts are using 'stealth technology' to make wind turbines less visible to radar and, with unprecedented access, they also follow the engineers racing to get Chinook helicopters ready for front line service, including Afghanistan.

21:05 on BBC Two tonight.

That company is also responsible for testing the various components of the new PECOC clothing system AFAIK.
    "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

Originally posted by apod View Post
      That company is also responsible for testing the various components of the new PECOC clothing system AFAIK.
      QinetiQ have a big research place about 10 miles from me. It's like a fortress!

Comment

I don't see it BBC2 over here

Comment

Workers at British defence contractor QinetiQ reveal some of their secretive projects.

21:05 it should be viewable here, anyone on UPC, NTL or whatever they call themselves these days gets BBC NI.

Comment

The Chinook refit was quite something.

An interesting documentary.

Comment

I'd be particularly uncomfortable doing fuel tank man's job.

And that is ignoring completely my excess belly dimensions. There is confined spaces and confined spaces.
              Interesting show though. The bit on the EOD robots was interesting too.

What did QuinetiQ used to be called? I think it was A&AAE or something.
              Last edited by Goldie fish; 12 July 2010, 12:43.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post

What did QuinetiQ used to be called? I think it was A&AAE or something.
                It went from left to right :

Aeroplane and Armament Experimental Establishment - Defence Test and Evaluation Organisation - Defence Evaluation and Research Agency - Defence Science and Technology Laboratory which was then split into half to form QinetQ.

Comment

I just remember it used to be written along the side of their Lightning and Jaguar test aircraft.

Comment

"Unprecedented access"? What's so secret about doing an overhaul on a 50-year old design? One characteristic of this series is that they are "bigging up" basic stuff, in a patronising fashion, such as last week's jet engine programme. An awful lot of what they are showing is quite routine and commonplace. You can be sure that the real secret stuff stays that way.The voiceover is annoying and the green writing is just childish, about Brainiac level.
                    regards
                    GttC

Comment

Yeah, the jet engine one was laughable. There are numerous component repair facilities around the world welding RR Combustion stage vanes on a daily basis, the materials used are not "secret". They just aren't common knowledge.
                      Same as all corporate secrets. About as secret as KFCs special ingredient. Not quite the James Bond stuff the show made it out to be.

Comment

Working...
                      X